The Student Room Group

OCR 21st Century triple scientists?

Scroll to see replies

I used to do OCR 21st century science!!! (Now I'm doing my a-levels) - Revision tips - I'd say the best way to revise is to just print out all the past papers (and mark schemes) and do all of them at least once (repeat if you have time) and then mark them. You will find after doing a few papers that the questions they ask are basically the same, but phrased differently/ in a different context.

Anyway, are the exams linear now, or is it just a-levels that have changed?
Original post by guglemugle
I used to do OCR 21st century science!!! (Now I'm doing my a-levels) - Revision tips - I'd say the best way to revise is to just print out all the past papers (and mark schemes) and do all of them at least once (repeat if you have time) and then mark them. You will find after doing a few papers that the questions they ask are basically the same, but phrased differently/ in a different context.

Anyway, are the exams linear now, or is it just a-levels that have changed?

I think every exam had changed due to the reforms because we weren't given a 'difficult' topic because it was easier than the old grades so they're changing everything. Can't believe the reforms are being passed in the space of 2-3 years,it's too fast 😡
Original post by Firenze26
I think every exam had changed due to the reforms because we weren't given a 'difficult' topic because it was easier than the old grades so they're changing everything. Can't believe the reforms are being passed in the space of 2-3 years,it's too fast ������

What, so it it still modular or linear? and even the topics have changed? what? When I started the course 2 years ago, it was a new specification. They literally change the exams for every year group. It's so stupid.
Original post by guglemugle
What, so it it still modular or linear? and even the topics have changed? what? When I started the course 2 years ago, it was a new specification. They literally change the exams for every year group. It's so stupid.

I think it's linear right now. Since I'm going to do b1-3, b4-6, b7 and c1-3,c4-6 and c7 in May/june. That's what the teachers are saying. I'm not sure about the topics but I think they are the same.

Sorry, I got off the topic in my comment, I was referring to the fact that they will change the grading system so instead of letter they will use numbers, kind of stupid if you ask me since they are singling out the ones who were doing the 'easier GCSEs' to the student's prospective universities.
I think it's linear right now. Since I'm going to do b1-3, b4-6, b7 and c1-3,c4-6 and c7 in May/june. That's what the teachers are saying. I'm not sure about the topics but I think they are the same.

Sorry, I got off the topic in my comment, I was referring to the fact that they will change the grading system so instead of letter they will use numbers, kind of stupid if you ask me since they are singling out the ones who were doing the 'easier GCSEs' to the student's prospective universities.

Oh wow, I haven't heard about that.
I'm thinking of becoming a forensic scientist so I'm aiming to go to a university and get a degree in forensic science and maybe a minor in computer security (Do they do minors here?). What about you?

Ooh that sounds cool! :biggrin: I want to study Physics at university (hopefully Cambridge or Imperial) and would like to study it to Ph.D level :smile: Imperial is probably my best bet though since it's predominantly a science based uni. And it's in London (where I live) XD
Original post by physicalgraffiti
Ooh that sounds cool! :biggrin: I want to study Physics at university (hopefully Cambridge or Imperial) and would like to study it to Ph.D level :smile: Imperial is probably my best bet though since it's predominantly a science based uni. And it's in London (where I live) XD

Nice, physics is a really great subject. I'm thinking of doing it in A-levels.

At least you already have a university in mind, unlike me. I'm still researching and I still can't find a great uni that I have a high chance of being accepted in since most unis I've found are searching for great grades and I'm not sure if I can get them. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nice, physics is a really great subject. I'm thinking of doing it in A-levels.

At least you already have a university in mind, unlike me. I'm still researching and I still can't find a great uni that I have a high chance of being accepted in since most unis I've found are searching for great grades and I'm not sure if I can get them. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh that's cool :biggrin: I'm sure you can :smile: at least get the highest grades you can for GCSE and then really aim for top grades at A Level, top unis look at GCSEs but then again they care more about your references and AS grades and personal statement etc :smile:
Reply 28
Who else is doing B123 tomorrow? Apparently the specification has changed from last year, but looking at it, it doesn't look very different at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
Who else is doing B123 tomorrow? Apparently the specification has changed from last year, but looking at it, it doesn't look very different at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have it tomorrow. Hopefully the specs didn't radically change. Good luck on your and anyone doing it, hopefully you guys get the grades you wanted :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Have it tomorrow. Hopefully the specs didn't radically change. Good luck on your and anyone doing it, hopefully you guys get the grades you wanted :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! This will be the third time I've done this exam (complicated reasons) - first time I got 96 UMS, then 97... hopefully the pattern will continue!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending