The Student Room Group
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website

Which accomodation to pick at Plymouth University?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
does anyone know when the application thing actually opens? I've done the preference thing, is that it?
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website
Reply 41
I am currently looking for someone to take over my room? opposite university so it is a PERFECT location? :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by tash.emily
I've received my offer for the University of Plymouth and am now looking at accomodation! I'm not sure which one to choose! I love the Francis Drake and Radnor Halls but i'm worried i won't have enough money to do other stuff such as going out?
Can anyone give me any advice on the different halls of residents? I don't want to stay in private housing!

I'm heading to plymouth in late august to pursue in Maritime business. I'm quite stressed out finding a decent accommodation. I'm looking at Robbins standard room. Its $99/week and it look decent enough. But I'm not sure if private houses would be better, seems like its so much hassle.
Original post by FZLJ
I'm heading to plymouth in late august to pursue in Maritime business. I'm quite stressed out finding a decent accommodation. I'm looking at Robbins standard room. Its $99/week and it look decent enough. But I'm not sure if private houses would be better, seems like its so much hassle.

Hey, I'm pursuing Maritime studies too! But I'm straight to 3rd year though.
Reply 44
Original post by EmilieTHF
Hey, I'm pursuing Maritime studies too! But I'm straight to 3rd year though.

hey. Me too! i'm straight to final year. i'm pursuing maritime business and logistic. Where are you from? When are you heading down to plymouth?
I'm currently in Mary Newman, and I love it, for me it's perfect, I have a double bed, bigger room & i'm right on campus. If you want to be on campus, pick Mary Newman or Francis Drake.
If you want a nice big room/double bed etc, Mary Newman, Frobisher or Astor.
If you just want a standard en suite room with a group of people, Francis Drake, Mary Newman, Radnor or Pilgrim. They're all the same. Robbins is very similar, just not quite the same layout. However, basically the same.
If you want nice new and luxurious with communal spaces other than kitchens. Frobisher or Astor. Absolutely no difference between the 2 except Frobisher is closer. And then it all just depends on the price.
Don't bother looking anywhere else except Central Point & Discovery Heights, they are unite buildings which are both very nice, Discovery Heights is right next to the uni & Central Point is right in town. Both offer double beds and a nice communal area. Either are good.

Hope this helps. If you want any more info don't hesitate to ask although I don't know much on prices except that most are going up.. :/
And of course there's Gilwell, it's the cheapest with single beds, shared bathrooms and single sex only.
Also you get to choose a top three preference, everyone I know this year has got their first choice as it is now 100% guaranteed that all first years will get a place in halls. In at least their top three.
I would choose 1. Frobisher 2. Mary Newman Large En-suite 3. Francis Drake/Astor
Reply 48
Original post by ckhallett
I'm currently in Mary Newman, and I love it, for me it's perfect, I have a double bed, bigger room & i'm right on campus. If you want to be on campus, pick Mary Newman or Francis Drake.
If you just want a standard en suite room with a group of people, Francis Drake, Mary Newman, Radnor or Pilgrim. They're all the same. Robbins is very similar, just not quite the same layout. However, basically the same.
If you want nice new and luxurious with communal spaces other than kitchens. Frobisher or Astor. Absolutely no difference between the 2 except Frobisher is closer. And then it all just depends on the price.
Don't bother looking anywhere else except Central Point & Discovery Heights, they are unite buildings which are both very nice, Discovery Heights is right next to the uni & Central Point is right in town. Both offer double beds and a nice communal area. Either are good.

Hope this helps. If you want any more info don't hesitate to ask although I don't know much on prices except that most are going up.. :/

You mentioned that you don't think anywhere else (other than what you mentioned) is worth looking at, so I was wondering if you could give an opinion on St Teresa house/ St Thomas court? Trying to find a compromise between price and quality is proving difficult!!
Original post by ckhallett

Do Mary Newman and Francis drake standard en-suite rooms look the same? Because in the website they look kinda different, but everyone say that francis drake an Mary Newman are very similar...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FZLJ
hey. Me too! i'm straight to final year. i'm pursuing maritime business and logistic. Where are you from? When are you heading down to plymouth?

Wow finally found someone like me! I'm up for Maritime Biz and Law. I'm from Singapore. Yourself? Should be around Sept 14? Which accommodation are u looking at?
Original post by EmilieTHF
Wow finally found someone like me! I'm up for Maritime Biz and Law. I'm from Singapore. Yourself? Should be around Sept 14? Which accommodation are u looking at?

Ah, I finally found another international student! :biggrin:
Reply 52
I'm starting to stress now! The accommodation process still isn't open?! I have registered but haven't been able to choose my room yet! First they said April, now May? I would like to do it before my exams start! :frown:
Original post by tash.emily
I'm starting to stress now! The accommodation process still isn't open?! I have registered but haven't been able to choose my room yet! First they said April, now May? I would like to do it before my exams start! :frown:

Last time I asked they said May or June :frown: I just want it over and done with now!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
Original post by someone01
Last time I asked they said May or June :frown: I just want it over and done with now!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same I wanted it done with before exams!:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55
Original post by OLI9113
You mentioned that you don't think anywhere else (other than what you mentioned) is worth looking at, so I was wondering if you could give an opinion on St Teresa house/ St Thomas court? Trying to find a compromise between price and quality is proving difficult!!

I'm currently living in St Thomas Court. It is nice as its not that far a walk from the university, but it does flood quite badly when there is heavy rain.
One of the blocks (E) is down a few steps outside so their kitchen gets flooded very easily.
Another block (B) is quite similar, but that's just for the bottom floor.
It's good for the price, as its en-suite and has very good communal areas (sofas included). It's just horrible with all the stairs, and no lift.

Astor house I by far the nicest, but it is such a long walk away. Takes 20 minutes to get to the university.

Alexandra Works is the same as St Thomas (both with unite) but is very secluded (in the locals area of Plymouth) and takes 20 minutes to get to the university, at a fast walk.

Best ones to look at are Francis Drake or Mary Newman as they are on campus. Also very big, have lifts, and are pretty much where all parties happen.

Do NOT go for Radnor or Gilwell. They have so many problems that have been there for 3 years, and have no plan of being fixed.

Hope this has helped a few more of you :smile:
Original post by Upboat
I'm currently living in St Thomas Court. It is nice as its not that far a walk from the university, but it does flood quite badly when there is heavy rain.
One of the blocks (E) is down a few steps outside so their kitchen gets flooded very easily.
Another block (B) is quite similar, but that's just for the bottom floor.
It's good for the price, as its en-suite and has very good communal areas (sofas included). It's just horrible with all the stairs, and no lift.

Astor house I by far the nicest, but it is such a long walk away. Takes 20 minutes to get to the university.

Alexandra Works is the same as St Thomas (both with unite) but is very secluded (in the locals area of Plymouth) and takes 20 minutes to get to the university, at a fast walk.

Best ones to look at are Francis Drake or Mary Newman as they are on campus. Also very big, have lifts, and are pretty much where all parties happen.

Do NOT go for Radnor or Gilwell. They have so many problems that have been there for 3 years, and have no plan of being fixed.

Hope this has helped a few more of you :smile:

what is your opinion on pilgrim and frobbisher house? and is there any difference between Francis Drake and Mary newman?

I'm set on francis drake for my first choice but I don't know which one should be my second choice. Like for what I have heard mary newman and francis drake look basically the same, but on the pictures of the website the rooms look different to me /: (but i don't know if it is just that the photos in the website aren't very good)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Original post by someone01
what is your opinion on pilgrim and frobbisher house? and is there any difference between Francis Drake and Mary newman?

I'm set on francis drake for my first choice but I don't know which one should be my second choice. Like for what I have heard mary newman and francis drake look basically the same, but on the pictures of the website the rooms look different to me /: (but i don't know if it is just that the photos in the website aren't very good)

Ive never been to Frobbisher house, so I cant really give an opinion on that.
Pilgrim is better than Gilwell and Radnor, but there are many better ones

Francis Drake and Mary Newman are very similar. They both have double beds (so jealous about that) but the room layouts are quite different.

Bedrooms
Francis Drake: Bed in the middle of the floor, with enough floor space each side of it
Mary Newman: Bed round a small corner, with a desk and not as much floor space

Communal
Francis Drake: Small kitchen with a large table the other side of the counter
Mary Newman: Large Kitchen with a table in the middle

Any more questions?

Please note. I can answer questions about St Thomas Court and Alexandra Works more. Ive been to those most
Original post by Upboat
Ive never been to Frobbisher house, so I cant really give an opinion on that.
Pilgrim is better than Gilwell and Radnor, but there are many better ones

Francis Drake and Mary Newman are very similar. They both have double beds (so jealous about that) but the room layouts are quite different.

Bedrooms
Francis Drake: Bed in the middle of the floor, with enough floor space each side of it
Mary Newman: Bed round a small corner, with a desk and not as much floor space

Communal
Francis Drake: Small kitchen with a large table the other side of the counter
Mary Newman: Large Kitchen with a table in the middle

Any more questions?

Please note. I can answer questions about St Thomas Court and Alexandra Works more. Ive been to those most

oh okay, thank you :smile:

do all bedrooms in francis drake and mary newman have double beds or only the large en-suite ones?

Also, do all halls have on-site laundry?

I'm not really considering alexandra works or st thomas court because I'm too lazy and rather being a bit closer to the uni haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think halls are generally more expensive than student houses, but not by a great deal. However I would recommend that every fresher apply to go in halls as its by far the best place to meet new people. In halls you don't just see your flatmates, you see people in the flats above, below, and beside you, compared to a house which lacks the social openness.

I was in Robbins in first year and loved it. It wasn't the nicest or most welcoming halls, but there were no problems, there was an en suite in every room (which was a godsend) and we even had a balcony which was great. It is also situated in the student village which is virtually on campus. I'd say that Robbins/Pilgrin/Radnor are all fairly similar in standard, and would all be good to live in. Francis Drake and Mary Newman are obviously a lot nicer in almost every way, but the price reflects that, and a lot of people can't afford it.

We spent a fair bit of time in St Thomas/Teresa in first year and I thought they were both nice halls as well, better than the student village halls, but 5 minutes further away. I'd have been very happy living there as well, although I don't know what the price range is like. I've never been in discovery heights or central point but I imagine they will be pretty similar as they're both unite as well, and they are both within easy walking distance again (Discovery heights is just across the road from campus).

Astor house is supposed to be amazing but I've never been inside, but it is a good 10/15 minute walk from campus, as is Alexandra works which I wouldn't advise living in.

At the end of the day it depends on your budget and need for convenience. If you can afford it,go for Mary Newman/Francis Drake. If you can't then apply for one of the student village halls if you want to be super close, or the St Thomas/Tereasa if you would something a little nicer and don't mind being slightly further away. Bare in mind that if you do a business course, then a lot of your lectures will be in the Cookworthy building which isn't actually on campus, its between the student village and St Thomas/Teresa.

I also don't think which halls you're in matters hugely at the end of the day, even though a lot of people worry while they're choosing. I think the experience is made by the relationships with your flatmates, and I was lucky to be in flat where all 6 of us got on really well and became really close friends, and lived together in second year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending