The Student Room Group

Dogo Argentinos - are these the most dangerous dogs ever?

They are one of the illegal breeds of dog in the UK, along with pit bull and a few others.

I read that they are used in south America to kill Pumas. :eek: How is that even possible that a big cat (similar to a leopard or tiger) can be killed by one of these dogs? What chance does a small boy have against this killer?
Reply 1
What about dogs that are used to hunt BEARS though?

Such as the Caucasian Ovcharka

Spoiler

and the Tibetan Mastiff

Spoiler

?

They're literally Dog Pokemon.
Reply 2
BSL, (that's Bull Sh*t Law), was quickly enforced by the Conservative Party in 1991, after a huge media report of attacks made by Pit Bulls. Luckily for the Rottwieler, the media had already finished with them, and they were no longer on the Sun newspaper's 'Devil Dog' list.
Pretty much any large dog breed can be extremely dangerous if abused or trained to be aggressive.
It's use for hunting pumas is kind of irrelevant, lots of dogs we consider to be 'safe' have a past as hunting breeds.
Original post by mojojojo101
It's use for hunting pumas is kind of irrelevant, lots of dogs we consider to be 'safe' have a past as hunting breeds.

Yeah, hunting rats and rabbits etc
Reply 6
Bully Kutta seem like the most mental along with Caucasian Shepherd.

Bully

Caucasian Shepherd

Both are massive and mental. Caucasian Shepherds are really really protective and suspicious.
Looks like an American Pitt to me
Reply 8
I'm one of those people that believe that a dog is only as dangerous as the person taking care of them, like someone said before any dog can attack you if they are trained to do so or have been mistreated by their owners. Having said that, these dogs are so large and muscular so when they're riled up, they are likely to cause considerably more harm than say a border collie who has been riled up. Unfortunately, there are some sick individuals out there who take advantage of that and are using these dogs as a form of intimidation.
Original post by Annaaaa
I'm one of those people that believe that a dog is only as dangerous as the person taking care of them, like someone said before any dog can attack you if they are trained to do so or have been mistreated by their owners. Having said that, these dogs are so large and muscular so when they're riled up, they are likely to cause considerably more harm than say a border collie who has been riled up. Unfortunately, there are some sick individuals out there who take advantage of that and are using these dogs as a form of intimidation.

Sometimes intimidating a thief or some prisoners is a good thing?
Original post by Annaaaa

Dogs definitely have different temperaments through breeding.
Reply 11
Original post by finnthehuman

True...but I was mostly referring to those who get the dog as a status symbol or to purposely train them to attack people/other dogs.
Original post by qwertyking
Yeah, hunting rats and rabbits etc

Various dog breeds have been used to hunt all kinds of animals, including but not limited to Deer, Badgers, Wild Boar, Wolves, Wolverines, many of these breeds with a history of hunting are now considered to be perfectly safe household pets.

Original post by finnthehuman

Intimidating a thief is one thing, breeding a dog specifically for it by deliberately making the dog aggressive, unpredictable and dangerous to both the thief and handlers is not a good thing.
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
They are one of the illegal breeds of dog in the UK, along with pit bull and a few others.

I read that they are used in south America to kill Pumas. :eek: How is that even possible that a big cat (similar to a leopard or tiger) can be killed by one of these dogs?

Pumas are definitely less of a challenge to a dog than a tiger and probably also a leopard. Dogs have long been used to kill wild animals. The Irish wolfhound was used to kill wolves in Ireland, drove them extinct there and, its purpose extinguished, thereby almost itself. It's one of the friendliest dog breeds there are.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
First of all they are not killers! They are trained to hunt boar and pumas. I have one and he is great with my girls!

Quick Reply

Latest