The Student Room Group

How long does it take you to learn 1 university module?

Poll

How long does it take you do learn 1 module?

This would be a single weights module and on average as it can obviously different from one to another.
Also, this would be to learn it from scratch to a standard at which you usually hit by exam time.
(edited 10 years ago)
The time from the first week of teaching to the exam - which for me is 10 weeks of teaching + any holidays + any exam period before the exam

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Origami Bullets
The time from the first week of teaching to the exam - which for me is 10 weeks of teaching + any holidays + any exam period before the exam

Posted from TSR Mobile

You actually learn throughout ? I never get the time.

We get killer exam time tables so I'm having to work on 1 module - 1 week this yr :frown:
I'm going for like 6hrs a day
Original post by uxa595
You actually learn throughout ? I never get the time.

We get killer exam time tables so I'm having to work on 1 module - 1 week this yr :frown:
I'm going for like 6hrs a day

It's the only way to do it... Learn the early stuff there and then, once essay deadlines start to hit you just have to do the best you can to learn but prioritise essays, and then when it gets closer to exams you just have to revise the early stuff and finish learning the later stuff.

6 hours is practically a day off for me when I'm near an exam / deadline

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Depends what you mean by learn ? is it learning from scratch including revision ?

If so, then if you have no other modules to study for then I'd say 6-10 weeks depending on the nature of the subject and your own skills.
Reply 5
It depends on the competition. If others learn more than you, they'll probably do better. Success in university is a balance between intelligence and hard work.
Original post by uxa595
This would be a single weights module and on average as it can obviously different from one to another.
Also, this would be to learn it from scratch to a standard at which you usually hit by exam time.

The theory that unis base their modules on is 6 credits = 100 hours, so 1000 hours per university year.

Though from my experience there were some that I did in maybe 70 hours and my final year project (same credit) took easily 150.
If I were to work solidly on just one module at a time and had all the resources in advance then each module would take me about 2 weeks to learn to a high level, but this requires working 7-8 hours each day on the module, so yeah it's very tiresome and I'd not recommend it to anyone else!
Reply 8
Original post by MathsNerd1
If I were to work solidly on just one module at a time and had all the resources in advance then each module would take me about 2 weeks to learn to a high level, but this requires working 7-8 hours each day on the module, so yeah it's very tiresome and I'd not recommend it to anyone else!

Sadly, I have to do this. Our term just ended 1 week ago and i just finished with presentations/class tests which are time consuming. Working forwards, i have 10 weeks and 10 modules to prepare for.
I actually think that's how they expect us to revise. Our term ends late March and the year is over by early June (exams start early May).

Let the 8-10hr learning days roll.

Also, how would you not have all the resources. By this time, would you not have all the handout/online materials.
Reply 9
Original post by Hedgeman49
The theory that unis base their modules on is 6 credits = 100 hours, so 1000 hours per university year.

Though from my experience there were some that I did in maybe 70 hours and my final year project (same credit) took easily 150.

1 module is 120hrs for us apparently. I intend to work at 8hours a day, and do 56hours a module. Hopefully that's enough given i spent ~20hours a piece to get a good % last year.
Original post by uxa595
Sadly, I have to do this. Our term just ended 1 week ago and i just finished with presentations/class tests which are time consuming. Working forwards, i have 10 weeks and 10 modules to prepare for.
I actually think that's how they expect us to revise. Our term ends late March and the year is over by early June (exams start early May).

Let the 8-10hr learning days roll.

Also, how would you not have all the resources. By this time, would you not have all the handout/online materials.

Oh wow, I only have 6 modules to revise for but they're meant to have like 200 hours each or something ridiculous like that! But over Easter I will be working 4 days a week for 10 hours each day, so essentially I'll only have 3 days to do any revision for my exams, not too sure how well this'll turn out!

And I didn't mean now, but like at the start of the year, if I got given everything I would need for the whole module, then I'd be pretty confident about doing some self teaching to learn the module myself in that space of time. If you didn't already work out, I do maths so for me the hardest part is just the concepts, the actual maths in my mind is self explanatory but the concepts are quite so easy for me to pick up.
Reply 11
I normally do a 7 day week per unit before the exam and do about 7-9 hours a day (more focused on targets though). I don't learn anything during the semester and learn everything just before exam period.

Seems to do the trick.
Reply 12
Oh wow, I only have 6 modules to revise for but they're meant to have like 200 hours each or something ridiculous like that! But over Easter I will be working 4 days a week for 10 hours each day, so essentially I'll only have 3 days to do any revision for my exams, not too sure how well this'll turn out!

And I didn't mean now, but like at the start of the year, if I got given everything I would need for the whole module, then I'd be pretty confident about doing some self teaching to learn the module myself in that space of time. If you didn't already work out, I do maths so for me the hardest part is just the concepts, the actual maths in my mind is self explanatory but the concepts are quite so easy for me to pick up.

You have 6 modules a year, or 6 this term?
We have all our exams in June, none in Jan. If it's 6 modules for a yr, your modules must be weighted twice as much as ours so 2 weeks would kinda be like my situation.
Original post by uxa595
You have 6 modules a year, or 6 this term?
We have all our exams in June, none in Jan. If it's 6 modules for a yr, your modules must be weighted twice as much as ours so 2 weeks would kinda be like my situation.

6 this term, I have 8 altogether for the year but 4 of them are full year modules and are worth twice the number of credits to the others
Reply 14
6 this term, I have 8 altogether for the year but 4 of them are full year modules and are worth twice the number of credits to the others

Got you. So you have 66% - ~80% in the coming term.
Some other unis have a 50/50 split over Jan and June exams. It annoying to think i have 100% in June.
Original post by uxa595
Got you. So you have 66% - ~80% in the coming term.
Some other unis have a 50/50 split over Jan and June exams. It annoying to think i have 100% in June.

Only this year really, next year it'll be dependant on which modules I take to determine how many exams I'll have in January, although my subject loves to test us at all times basically, so we've got two mid terms allocated for class tests for this and next year!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending