The Student Room Group

University Modules

This might be a stupid question, but how do uni modules work. I get that each module is like a new topic and have their own assessments, but does that mean once you've been assessed for a module, you don't need to go back and revise it unless you have other modules that might build off the first (e.g. I want to study computer science so have Maths for Computer Scientists 1 and 2)
Reply 1
Yes you are correct. Each year of an undergraduate degree is made up of 120 credits. Some universities use the 10-20-30 credit system whilst others use the 15-30-45 credit system. Thus in semester 1 (Sept to Dec) you will cover 60 credits. Then in semester 2 (Jan to April) you will take a further 60 credits. Each 10 or 15 credit module will have assessments associated with them - individual and group. Once you complete the assessments and pass then that module is done, you will not be tested on that material again.

The only rider is that for some routes in year 2 or year 3 there may be pre-requisite modules that you will need to complete in order to take that module. In this instance, the material you covered in year 1 or year 2 may be referenced.
Original post by mike23mike
Once you complete the assessments and pass then that module is done, you will not be tested on that material again.

On some STEM courses there are "General" or "Comprehensive" exams as well as module specific ones, the general papers have problems you need material from the full width of the course to attempt, sometimes with material from more than one course in a single question. It rewards you for not forgetting all the "old stuff".
Original post by Anonymous
This might be a stupid question, but how do uni modules work. I get that each module is like a new topic and have their own assessments, but does that mean once you've been assessed for a module, you don't need to go back and revise it unless you have other modules that might build off the first (e.g. I want to study computer science so have Maths for Computer Scientists 1 and 2)

Hey there!
Sometimes the modules can link together but for the majority of the time, the only reason you'd need to go back and revisit a module is to either resit it because you didn't pass or to refer to work you did on that subject when writing your dissertation. You may also need to refer back if you've learned a skill in that particular module that you need to carry across to a new subject. There's also something that exists called pre-requisite modules. These modules are part of your yearly optional choices and if you choose to take a prerequisite module then that means you can take it again the next year. Let's say for one year coding was an optional module for you and you didn't choose it, you wouldn't be able to choose it again the next year if it was a pre-requisite because you haven't done it before. Pre-requisite modules you have to have already done it previously.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Hello,

You won't be assessed again on a module that you have already completed, but you may need the knowledge if you have the module in subsequent years or for a different module. For example, in engineering, application of aerodynamic principles in the design of a wind turbine.

It is a good idea to have a good grasp of the key module concepts.

Kind regards,
Juzer
Cov Uni Student Ambassador

Hey!
Understanding how university modules work is important for any student. Let me explain. In university, modules are individual units of study that focus on specific topics within a subject area. Each module typically lasts for a specific duration, such as a semester or a year. These modules often have their own assessments, which may include exams, coursework, projects, or presentations.

Once you've completed and been assessed for a module, it's true that you generally don't need to revisit it unless subsequent modules build upon that knowledge. For example, in your case, if you have "Maths for Computer Scientists 1" and "Maths for Computer Scientists 2," the second module will likely assume that you have a solid understanding of the concepts covered in the first module.

However, it's important to note that building a strong foundation is crucial in many subjects. So even if you've completed a module, it can still be beneficial to review the material periodically, especially if you encounter related topics in future modules or need to apply that knowledge in practical settings.

Additionally, some modules may serve as prerequisites for more advanced modules. This means that successful completion of certain modules is necessary before you can progress to higher-level modules within your degree program. In such cases, it's essential to understand and retain the material covered in earlier modules to ensure a smooth progression in your studies.

Ultimately, the specific approach to revising and reviewing modules may vary depending on your learning style, the subject, and your personal preferences. It's always a good idea to consult with your professors, academic advisors, or fellow students for guidance on the best strategies to manage and review module content effectively.

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending