The Student Room Group

Bad chemistry teacher

Now, don't get me wrong - my chemistry teacher is great, she is definitely nicer than my Biology teacher and on the same level with my Physics teacher, but her teaching methods are all wrong. I am really bad at Chemistry, and if I was doing Triple Science I would just give up on it and ignore the D in my results letter, but I'm doing Additional at the moment (got a B last year in Core but my teachers were all different), and I'm worried my Chemistry paper will bring my result down to a D or even just lessen the chances of me getting a B in general because I won't do well. I like to ask 'why' a lot - in Physics and Biology this is fine and I get an interesting explanation about WHY this fact I need to remember is true but when I ask 'why' in Chemistry, the response is usually "because it's just one of those weird chemistry rules you've got to remember" like it's clear that she's the one that didn't listen when she did her degree or whatever as she has no background knowledge. I really don't want to have to rely on the revision guide for success in this paper but a sudden change in Science teachers just wasn't ideal..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by staticas
Now, don't get me wrong - my chemistry teacher is great, she is definitely nicer than my Biology teacher and on the same level with my Physics teacher, but her teaching methods are all wrong. I am really bad at Chemistry, and if I was doing Triple Science I would just give up on it and ignore the D in my results letter, but I'm doing Additional at the moment (got a B last year in Core but my teachers were all different), and I'm worried my Chemistry paper will bring my result down to a D or even just lessen the chances of me getting a B in general because I won't do well. I like to ask 'why' a lot - in Physics and Biology this is fine and I get an interesting explanation about WHY this fact I need to remember is true but when I ask 'why' in Chemistry, the response is usually "because it's just one of those weird chemistry rules you've got to remember" like it's clear that she's the one that didn't listen when she did her degree or whatever as she has no background knowledge. I really don't want to have to rely on the revision guide for success in this paper but a sudden change in Science teachers just wasn't ideal..

Posted from TSR Mobile

I understand your concerns as during my biology GCSE my teacher lacked enthusiasm and was just poor at getting the content drilled into us.

Your comment about not relying on revision, basically your revision is key however it is difficult to go solely on it. Therefore by doing past papers and the notes you write you will find direct questions on which to ask your teacher directly rather than generic "why" questions.

Other than this go to after school sessions and hear a different approach of teaching to get things across differently, youtube videos and also on here its a bank full of knowledge.

but good luck

Quick Reply

Latest