The Student Room Group

left on a bad note???

ok so basically last year I had a rlly nice teacher who gave me extra help bc I didn't do the subject the year prior and we had study leave around 6 weeks ago. I was only planning on thanking him if I didn't have him again this year planning (which I don't). so on Monday after school I emailed him just saying thanks for being rlly helpful but as far as I can tell he's not acknowledging it or replying to it (tbf how would you even respond to that), so now I'm thinking maybe it was weird for me to email him after so long and he thinks I'm weird now or if it's not that deep (probably isnt). + I'll see him occasionally since my new classroom is right next to his and I feel like i would be awkward if I keep thinking I'm weird lol

(btw even tho this is in the relationship category this is not romantic!!!!!! I can't stress this enough bc I know some of you people think like that)
Surprisingly, I was once in the same boat as you except with my chemistry teacher who did in fact teach me 2 years in a row with the first year of her helping me catch up after classes and her answering my questions over email. Do give it some time! I sent an email once to my chemistry teacher thanking her for the extra help she gave me to help me get my A on results day but I didn’t hear back from her until I actually saw her in person.

Teachers can sometimes get super busy and may need a couple of days to reply to you - if you‘re seeing your teacher in person, it may be that he’d rather express his gratitude then. I’m sure he knows how grateful you are since you probably spent the whole year saying thanks as often as you could. My version of thanks was giving my teacher was as much chocolate or baked goods as I could which I’m surprised she’s not developed type 2 diabetes because of me. If you are seeing him in person, that’s always a really nice way to say goodbye to a teacher or getting a small gift - I got my chem teacher a little jellycat mole. Of course this is more materialistic and on the pricey end but even popping in to say hello when you’re still at school is always a nice thing. If he’s taken time out to teach you, chances are he liked having you as a student so I think you should say hello or at least smile while walking past!

When I finally finished school in April, my chemistry teacher gave me the biggest hug and cried telling me that she was happy that she met a student who reminded her why she started teaching. Inevitably that made me cry. Not because I was a little bit of motivation to her but since my head of year was not very supportive of me going into both biology and chemistry without doing it previously, she was truly the only one who supported me through it. I got university for medicine because of that woman and she knows it. I’m excited to see her next week at prom and definitely later on for coffee catch ups haha

So what I’m saying is if he hasn’t replied yet I’m sure he’s seen it and is planning on giving you a proper reply soon. Even if a teacher doesn’t teach you this year, they’ll always be your teacher at heart :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
ok so basically last year I had a rlly nice teacher who gave me extra help bc I didn't do the subject the year prior and we had study leave around 6 weeks ago. I was only planning on thanking him if I didn't have him again this year planning (which I don't). so on Monday after school I emailed him just saying thanks for being rlly helpful but as far as I can tell he's not acknowledging it or replying to it (tbf how would you even respond to that), so now I'm thinking maybe it was weird for me to email him after so long and he thinks I'm weird now or if it's not that deep (probably isnt). + I'll see him occasionally since my new classroom is right next to his and I feel like i would be awkward if I keep thinking I'm weird lol

(btw even tho this is in the relationship category this is not romantic!!!!!! I can't stress this enough bc I know some of you people think like that)

I do not think he needs to respond.You have thanked him and I am sure he will appreciate that but there may be rules re reacting to emails from pupils.
Original post by Scotney
I do not think he needs to respond.You have thanked him and I am sure he will appreciate that but there may be rules re reacting to emails from pupils.

There are none unless she’s like confessed her love for him which by her little relationship disclaimer, I highly doubt. The school email system is monitored but replying to an email from a student you taught all year is not against policy. Sure he doesn’t have to reply by email but I’m sure if OP has schooling left to do, they’ll see that teacher irl anyways.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending