The Student Room Group

Cinema Dates

I'm thinking of asking a girl at work out tommorow - everyones advice always seems to be don't take them to the cinema on a first 'date' because you can't speak or talk, but I've known her for 4 weeks so I've already got to know her quite well as a person. I figure if we go to the bar in the cinema first, we'll still get a chance to talk. Is it likely to work, or would people (you) still suggest doing something else?

I know it seems trivial, but I don't want to mess this one up :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Film then dinner?

Gives you something to talk about if conversation dries up...
Reply 2
I don't see why you'd go out of your way to lighten your wallet in order to take someone to a dark place you can't talk to them. (Unless your hobby’s collecting STDs from hookers, that is).

Park/picnic/bowling/ice-skating etc. are all far better imo.
Reply 3
Could take her to the cinema then for something to eat, maybe hit a bar?

Why don't you ask her what she wants to do?
Reply 4
I was thinking of that - saying do you fancy doing something next week (like what - what do you feel like doing?) or similar, but I need to make it clear to her I'm interested in her 'romantically' so she doesn't think its just something with friends...

Chances are I'll just wuss out of it anyway, asking people out/confidence isn't a strong point of mine :smile:

thanks for the suggestions though :smile:
Reply 5
Gem

Because it makes you look unorganised and unconfident imo.:smile:
Reply 6
But isn't going to the park or for a picnic a bit corny? Bowling seems a bit young.. don't know why.

She plays pool (badly, just like me :P) - I could play on that and ask her if she fanced going for a few games of pool?
Reply 7
i've never found cinemas to be great for a date, a nice restuarant on the other hand... winner!
Reply 8
Gem
Could take her to the cinema then for something to eat, maybe hit a bar?

He could take her for something to eat or to a bar before the cinema. If he makes a good enough impression when they're talking, then it could get cuddly during the film*.

*In a sweet way, not in a perverted, back-row fumbling way!
Reply 9
If you want to relate to someone dont go to a cinema - a good date is about interracting with the other person, and unless you plan to eat her face to the disapproval of everyone sitting around you, do something like bowling where you can actually FLIRT
Reply 10
Wez
Because it makes you look unorganised and unconfident imo.:smile:

Ahhh right I see, never thought of it that way!

I just thought that if a guy said he's taking me to the cinema then for some beers, he'd look a bit pushy and it'd be as though he hadn't taken what I wanted to do into consideration.

BUT I can see your point now :biggrin:
Reply 11
I think I've decided on pool - its a lot easier for her as well since theres a Rileys (pool club chain) near hers, whereas she'd need to trek on 3 buses to get a bowling place. Can't see a flaw in the plan, anyway :smile:
Reply 12
alexcutts
But isn't going to the park or for a picnic a bit corny?
I always thought this as well, but after trying it I've never looked back. There's always something to talk about in a park, you can talk for hours (or if you can't, she might not be right for you), it's cheap, it's outside (summer!:smile:)etc.
Bowling seems a bit young.. don't know why.

Depends on the alley I think - one infested with 11 year olds probably won't impress her.
She plays pool (badly, just like me :P) - I could play on that and ask her if she fanced going for a few games of pool?

That's good.:smile:
Reply 13
Go out for drinks/something to eat and if you get on then go to the cinema. There's nothing worse than heading straight to the cinema on a first date!

Personally I like first dates to be during the daytime, saturday or sunday afternoons, then if it goes well you have a 2nd date on an evening.
Cinemas non pressured though because if its awkward, the films there to watch but you can kinda whisper, and you can talk at beginning and end and go for dinner aswell.

I like cinema for dates.
yeah I like cinema for dates too lol :smile: Maybe just cos I like films but also cos of the 'making out in the backrow thing' lol :p:
Reply 16
Cinemas are fun to go to, but in terms of a date, a bad idea. It doesn't create the rapport / first impression of a romantic guy / whatever, that you could get from taking her to dinner (or, as you selected, bowling).

Good call in taking her bowling? I would recommend dinner someplace inexpensive (probably not a fast food chain! :wink: ) afterward.
Reply 17
i like dates that involve food. Take her somewhere nice for dinner is my suggestion. I also like the idea of you saying do you want to go out on a date with me next week. Girls like being given choices of what the date will be, dont force the cinema on her, give her some options.

Cinema dates can be really bad and really good. If the film sucks, you can either end up making out in the back row or being so bored you just wanna go home.
Reply 18
Its seems apropriate to ask this here as we're talkin about dates do girls like weathaspoons meals on dates cause i always think they might think i'm cheap? LOL
Reply 19
birdth
Its seems apropriate to ask this here as we're talkin about dates do girls like weathaspoons meals on dates cause i always think they might think i'm cheap? LOL

i went for one once on a date, didnt think much to the food or the company. I prefer small pasta resturants, pub lunchs just seem cheap and unimaginative.

Latest

Trending

Trending