The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Come on, it's so sunny outside!
Go on a picnic or something. Buy a pot of ben and jerrys (will never fail) and take 2 spoons and sit in the park all day and talk. If you get bored you can do someting else too.
I think for a first day do something during the day. In this weather she might not fancy the cinema anyway so maybe you could go to a nice restaurant or cafe that you know for lunch. I think meeting up during the day makes it more casual which is more appropriate for a first date I think.

Make sure it is somewhere that you know does nice food though.
FireDeuce
Come on, it's so sunny outside!
Go on a picnic or something. Buy a pot of ben and jerrys (will never fail) and take 2 spoons and sit in the park all day and talk. If you get bored you can do someting else too.

Booooring! Run around town and be a pair of fun pests :biggrin:
Reply 23
alexcutts
But isn't going to the park or for a picnic a bit corny? Bowling seems a bit young.. don't know why.

She plays pool (badly, just like me :P) - I could play on that and ask her if she fanced going for a few games of pool?

Picnic, that's really cool. You should definitely do that if you have a nice park nearby! I guess pool isn't a bad idea either, but picnics are better.
yeh i reckon cinema's alright although i suggest you go somewhere in the back ... you don't want to annoy other's by whispering or god knows what else :p: As for the restaurant part... some girls feel kinda embarrassed eating in front of some1 "special" (in this case, you) Maybe she's very confident and doesn't mind at all! It all depends what you're looking for: intimacy or chat-chat, or even a bit of both! Although here's a tip: no matter what you do, do NOT order spaghettis!! lol Very messy. Go for something easy to eat and mind your manners at the table! Oh and don't ask her what she wants to do. You gotta be more confident and more of a decision maker. I used to be completely the opposite at first with my gf (i.e. quite insecure)and she didnt really like it, cute but a bit annoying after a while. So just say "Look i thought we could go to (name of place) and then do (name of activity) What do you think?" I doubt she'll say no unless you're being dirty minded or weird lol Good luck!
Reply 25
Wez
Because it makes you look unorganised and unconfident imo.:smile:

agreed. plus i think it puts a bit of pressure on the girl to come up with somewhere to go. it's liek you're putting them on the spot. i think if you dont want to seem pushy, you should make a suggesstion then ask her if she has any ideas.

the cinema can be quite a nice date because when it's over that's your starting conversation piece basically. it's a good ice-breaker and makes you feel less nervous. plus, so many other conversations can spring off from it like - "whats your favourite film", "did you see ____, what did you think of it?" etc. the worse thing that can happen on a date is one where the convo dries up and it jsut gets really awkward.

eating dates are alright. but i know for sure that some girls get self-consious on these kind of dates. they might not want to eat a lot or they worry about what they look like while their eating etc. it can sometimes just add to the nervousness on a date.

park dates are ok. but like i said, there is nothing worse than conversation drying up which can easily happen on a park date where you'll be doing what exactly? just walking around a park? i think they're ok if you've known someone for a while and you have common interests that you can talk about.
Reply 26
OK, didn't happen - was chatting to her, and got the conversation round to next week - then asked her if she liked pool, and she said not really, which stumped me slightly (I'm the sort to have thought what I was going to say through) then her bus came early.

Not sure if she guessed what I was getting at, although I don't think so, I must have just misunderstood a comment.

I'd rather not doing something food related, since we both work in a restaurant and it would seem a bit too much like work to be fun (for a first date).

Anyways, next time I'll see her is Wednesday. Not sure what to say to her now, cos I'm now starting to think she may have realised what I was going to say and have steered clear of the topic. I might try the "do you want to do something next week" then make a suggestion depending on the weather or whatever. :smile:

Thanks for the comments.
Nah nah nah.............. Cinema then film! So you can talk about the film if all else fails :biggrin:
Reply 28
amywalters
Nah nah nah.............. Cinema then film! So you can talk about the film if all else fails :biggrin:

Cinema then film? :P
Reply 29
No, dinner. Somewhere nice. You want to make an impression. Or the theatre, something highbrow, for the same reason.
Theatre is boring. Who can afford poncy fancy dinners at our age anyway??

Take her down the pub and the cinema, and if she doesn't like it, she can bugger off:biggrin:
Reply 31
naivesincerity
Take her down the pub and the cinema, and if she doesn't like it, she can bugger off:biggrin:

Or, better still, just say no in the first place.
I don't get that, I haven't read the whole thread:wink:
Reply 33
The girl im seeing is set on going to see POTC2, id rather hang out with her somewhere outside or in private, but woteva keeps her happy i guess.
alexcutts
I'm thinking of asking a girl at work out tommorow - everyones advice always seems to be don't take them to the cinema on a first 'date' because you can't speak or talk, but I've known her for 4 weeks so I've already got to know her quite well as a person. I figure if we go to the bar in the cinema first, we'll still get a chance to talk. Is it likely to work, or would people (you) still suggest doing something else?

I know it seems trivial, but I don't want to mess this one up :smile:
Easy.

Don't call it a date, and ask her if she wants to go to watch a film. Be casual.

And it's not a date. It's not.

And WHAM, you're talking and everythings going fine. Then take it from there.
alexcutts
Cinema then film? :P

Yeah thats what me and my boyfriend always did because you don't want to end up going home on the note that you haven't been talking to them for the past 2 hours anyway. Thats not good! Take her out for a meal or even a drink after and just relax.
Reply 36
amywalters
Yeah thats what me and my boyfriend always did because you don't want to end up going home on the note that you haven't been talking to them for the past 2 hours anyway. Thats not good! Take her out for a meal or even a drink after and just relax.

The advice definately seems to be inbetween - somehow asking to go see a film, and getting a drink afterwards definately seems the easiest idea. I'll keep this topic posted :P
Reply 37
justfarhan
Easy.

Don't call it a date, and ask her if she wants to go to watch a film. Be casual.

And it's not a date. It's not.

And WHAM, you're talking and everythings going fine. Then take it from there.

Thats a snidey backhanded and unpleasant way to do it.
Reply 38
allymcb2
Thats a snidey backhanded and unpleasant way to do it.

Really? I figured that was probably the best way to ask - get her to give me the name of a film she wants to see and then ask her if she fancies going to see it. Whats wrong with that?
Reply 39
alexcutts
Really? I figured that was probably the best way to ask - get her to give me the name of a film she wants to see and then ask her if she fancies going to see it. Whats wrong with that?
Nothing at all. And it works just fine.

Latest

Trending

Trending