The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Ive been at uni for a year now and I still struggle with cooking! (hence take outs rock :biggrin:) but Ive lived on jacket potatoes,pastas (try pasta bakes-various sauces,different vegetables and funky things like leaks or mushrooms), salads if you are into 'em and soups(really easy to make ones hehe refer thread called soups!). I used to buy pre-packaged meals from tesco/M&S once in a while - like a veg kiev thatd go great with pasta or a curry which id have with rice. Also experiment with sandwhich fillings . Geez hope that helped o_O
Veggi chilli- I cook this at home and it feeds 4 people for two days so may wanna half ingredients but here goes:
2 onions
2 tins kidney beans
2 tins of chopped tomatoes
chilli powder (as much as you like depending on tastes)
clove of garlic (optional)
1 bag of quorn mince
salt and pepper (if required)

1) chop the onions thinly, pour oil into pan and when oil is hot add onions
2) When they've turned pale, add the garlic if required, and the chilli powder and stir for about 30 secs
3) Add the kidney beans and quorn
4) Add the tinned toms and stir
5) Heat on low heat for about 30 mins, stirring frequently
6) When its almost done taste and add salt and pepper if required. If its not spicy enough add a few drops of tabasco sauce

It can be frozen for a later date or if you want to eat the next day transfer to a container and keep in fridge! Serve with rice, pasta, bread etc! You can also add peppers or carrots and these go in with the onions!
Veggi Curry-
1 tin of curry sauce (as found in tesco and similar supermarkets)
2 onions
2 tins of chick peas
1 bag of quorn chunks
(Serves 4)

1) Chop onions thinly and add to pan with heated up oil
2) When onions have turned pale add the chickpeas and quorn chunks
3) Add the curry sauce and stir in together
4) Heat on a low heat for about 30 mins stirring frequently
Reply 4
beach_surf_babe
Veggi chilli- I cook this at home and it feeds 4 people for two days so may wanna half ingredients but here goes:
2 onions
2 tins kidney beans
2 tins of chopped tomatoes
chilli powder (as much as you like depending on tastes)
clove of garlic (optional)
1 bag of quorn mince
salt and pepper (if required)

1) chop the onions thinly, pour oil into pan and when oil is hot add onions
2) When they've turned pale, add the garlic if required, and the chilli powder and stir for about 30 secs
3) Add the kidney beans and quorn
4) Add the tinned toms and stir
5) Heat on low heat for about 30 mins, stirring frequently
6) When its almost done taste and add salt and pepper if required. If its not spicy enough add a few drops of tabasco sauce

It can be frozen for a later date or if you want to eat the next day transfer to a container and keep in fridge! Serve with rice, pasta, bread etc! You can also add peppers or carrots and these go in with the onions!

that sounds really good - might try that one :smile:
Yeah its yummy!! :biggrin:
Reply 6
Are you a fish eating veggie or a total veggie veggie?
Gotta say there is no such thing as a fish eating vegetarian- there are pescetarians and then there are vegetarians. They are not the same!!!!
Reply 8
vegetable stir fry, easy and really nice with some noodles.

quorn pieces in a tomato sauce with pasta.

etc.
Reply 9
i've been cooking for myself since i was about 12, so cooking at uni wont really be a problem.

anyways, i'm a pesco-vegetarian but i hardly eat fish. so i have a mainly vegetarian diet.

chunky tomatoe soup.

tin of chopped plum tomatoes, add some haricot and cannellni beans, add some sweatcorn and chickpeas. then add some softened thickly cut carrots to the soup. you if want add like half a cup of veg stock. season with salt, pepper and herbs.

also, for an easy tomatoe sauce:

cut an onion into quaters. fry off until softened in a pan. then add some chopped garlic. add some chopped carrorts. then add some tinned chopped tomatoes. add the seasoning: salt, herbs, pepper and some spice if you want. allow to simmer for about 10-15 minutes. drizzle in a bit of olive oil after that.

you can also try bruscetta (sp?)

cut some crusty bread into thick slices. drizzle some olive oil on the slices and them grill or put the slices in the griddle pan. take the slices out when they're golden brown. add some chopped fresh tomatoes to the bread (i know, all of these recipes appear to include tomatoes...), some basil and a few slices of mozarella. you can even omit the tomatoe and basil and just add the mozzarell and grill the slices until the cheese melts.
Reply 10
oh man reading this is making me so hungry :biggrin:

I'm just gonna learn some standard indian dishes like peas and rice and stuff, hopefully should last me a few days every week so I can spend the rest eating out :rolleyes:
Reply 11
I know quite a few more complicated recipes, but this is the first simple one that comes to mind...

Tomato, red pepper and lentil pasta sauce
1 tin tomatoes
200g red lentils
half an onion, chopped
half a red pepper, chopped and de-seeded
salt and pepper
1 red oxo cube
1 tsp mixed herbs

Chuck all said ingredients into a pan. Bring to the boil. Leave to simmer for 10 mins. Job done.

Serve with cooked pasta :biggrin:
If you have access to vegan cheese, hummus, and leafy greens, sandwiches are always a easy option. Also, if you are able to, there are brands of organic, vegetarian soups that come in containers that you don't need to refrigerate until they are opened, so you can buy them and open them as you need them, and eat them plain or use them in other dishes.

Also, anything that involves throwing a bunch of beans, guacamole, cheese, etc together can't be ruined too badly.
Reply 13
Hiya! I'm vegatarian and going to university as well.
Some suggestions:
QUORN! It's amazing and you can make a variety of dishes with it. A good one is to simply sautee it with vegetables (e.g. courgettes, onions, asparagus) and spaghetti which is good.
Omlettes are a good idea, quick, easy and have lots of protein which sometimes veggies lack. I like mine with cheese and tomato.
The veggie chilli sounds good I should try that.
I get a lot of ready meals like macaroni (best is findus from tescos).
Veggie burgers?
There's quite a lot of meals that are easy for vegetarians and most uni's cater for them!
Reply 14
I also invented my own veggie curry, but as it's a bit more tricky than the OP asks for, just PM me if you want it :smile:
Reply 15
This thread - so useful :smile: Thanks.
I usually use a bag of vegemince for those times when I fancy using a meat alternative, and i'll make spag bol with it. I throw in an oxo veg stock cube, a tin of chopped tomatoes, some mushrooms and onions, a clove of garlic, and my secret ingredient: a dash of tabasco sauce.

It makes for a nice meal, and it goes well with a good dry white wine.
Reply 17
Bekaboo
Are you a fish eating veggie or a total veggie veggie?

Are fish vegetables? you silly sausage!
Reply 18
Soup is always good - it tastes great, and is easiest to make in giant vats, so there'll be some bubbling away for your housemates to try and they'll love you for it:biggrin:

Most of my soup recipes involve boiling up vegs and blitzing them with a hand whisk. My fave is:
Fry an onion some garlic (to taste) and a few chopped chillis. Add chopped butternut squash and some stock (not too much - just enough to boil the squash). Boil for about 20 mins and blitz. Add a small pot of cream and a few more chopped chilli (the cooked ones wont have so much bite left). Yummy!!

I also think lentils are brilliant. I'd happily eat them on their own, but they are also a great way of thickening up pasta/curry sauces.
Reply 19
i say veggie curry or potato bake

Latest