The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
stir fry, with frozen veggies and pasta/rice/couscous/potatoes.
I'd say that avoiding quorn would be a good idea. it's overly-processed, which is something I would prefer to avoid. (Although as a self-proclaimed junkfood conoisseur, I am hardly one to talk.) However, the price of it is prohibitive. That, and relying on it as a staple is something I'd be a bit weary of.

I've decided that my uni food is going to include some eggs this year. If you're a vegan, then the next paragraph will be useless. I've decided that you can buy six free range eggs for about a quid, and that I can stretch these to a bit of baking, (which i haven't done since i was a wee little kid.) making egg fried rice (Which i absolutely love) and leftover eggs and leftover milk (I only use milk for putting in cups of tea) can go towards making pancakes. (Flour being the other ingredient.)

The aforementioned spag bol is going to be a staple meal, as always, as it's bloody cheap to make and extremely tasty. And another meal idea that I love is to purchase a crap cheese & tomato pizza for a quid or less, and layer on some veggies, including onions, peppers, olives, chillies, mushrooms and the like.

Another good meal to be had can be found by sauteeing some onion and garlic, throwing in a tin of chopped tomatoes, and letting a few vegetables (peppers, courgettes and whatever else is around) stew in it. Throw in some pesto, serve it with some fusilli and call it a meal.

A stir fry makes for a nice light meal, and is great if you really want some vegetables. Straight-to-wok noodles, and a jar of stir-fry sauce come in handy. The sauce can be expensive, so discount food shops, or just buying it when or if it's on offer can be fruitful.

Pot noodle. On occasion, I feel the need to do it. It's dirty, but you know you want it. Make sure you have some additional soy sauce though. That tiny sachet they give you is not nearly enough.

And the one quorn-based meal I do have on occasion is fajitas. Just use a fajita kit, and replace the chicken with quorn pieces. Throw in some tabasco sauce to add some heat, and since that can only do so much, some west indian hot pepper sauce can add some additional heat. Serve with carling.

For lunchtime meals, you'll probably want something a little less heavy. So I will often raid supermarket shelves for soups when they have them on offer. Soup and bread is a great lunchtime meal. Alternatively, an hour or so before lunch, put a potato in the oven, and have jacket potato with beans. If, like me, you have a penchant for hot food, add some tabasco to the beans.

A bag of chips will come in handy. Get some value chips, and you can just cook chips whenever you want. Chips are the ideal accompaniment to anything. Good chips alternatives are curly fries and potato wedges. If you ever get curly fries, then be weary of flatmates who will try to steal them off you! Also, be weary of using too much barbecue sauce when eating wedges.

Keeping in line with the junk food topic, look for a few veggie burgers in the supermarket. If you can get them cheaply, do so. It's always good to have a box of them around, for whenever you don't really fancy anything else.

Essentially, you should have in mind a few main meals, a few lunchtime meals, and also, keep in mind a good idea of emergency meals, for when you are truly stuck, or have little or no time:

Pot noodle
Cup-a-soup
Golden savoury packet rice
Beans on toast

That's the most comprehensive guide I can give.

Latest