The Student Room Group

Do you believe in extraterrestrial life?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
i cannot believe that Adele represents the apex of creation.... please let there be something better out there
Original post by the bear
i cannot believe that Adele represents the apex of creation.... please let there be something better out there

Who the hell is Adele? Do you mean the singer and songstress? Who knows? perhaps there is an extraterrestrial life which is ahead of the mankind's time, say 1.000 or 10.000 years?
Reply 22
It's likely that there is life, yes. But then that makes me think like this.

Anyway, as many scientists have said, making contact with extraterrestrials could turn out to be a bad thing if they're hostile. We're not exactly in a great position to defend ourselves from that - we're stuck on this big rock - so attempting to communicate with other life is probably a bad idea right now.
Original post by xDave-
(...)
Anyway, as many scientists have said, making contact with extraterrestrials could turn out to be a bad thing if they're hostile. We're not exactly in a great position to defend ourselves from that - we're stuck on this big rock - so attempting to communicate with other life is probably a bad idea right now.

Could be! maybe the extraterrestrial life already knows that the earth and humans on there exist? then one of the reasons why the extraterrestrial life has not visited us could be that the extraterrestrial life is very well sophisticated and the humans seem to be boring in extraterrestrial life's view.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 24
There's a very high chance that life exists

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
There has got to be something out there, definitely. The size of the universe is too big for it to just be us.
Reply 26
Given the vastness of the universe it seems churlish to refute the potential of alien life being out there somewhere.
I have seen an extra terrestrial being, a Vulcan, John Redwood MP.
Reply 28
This thread makes me want to re-read Dan Brown's Deception Point.
The Fermi paradox is an interesting theory to consider with this question. Though it does have a lot of criticisms

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by michaelhaych
Life elsewhere in the universe? Yes
Intelligent life elsewhere in the universe? Yes
Intelligent life elsewhere in the universe that uses little spaceships to travel hundreds of light years specifically to Earth to anally probe people called Cleetus? probably not, no

This imagination is reminiscent of South Park. If extraterrestrial life exists, I'm sure it has anything better to do than to analyze any body orifices. :s-smilie:
(edited 10 years ago)
I think there is definitely life elsewhere but whether that life is intelligent is anyones guess. We're a little biased when it comes to intelligent life because we base intelligence off of us. We might not be classed as intelligent compared to some other alien out there. We only have one sample of data to use which is life on Earth and given that there have been millions of different types of animals on Earth and from what we can make out humans are the only intelligent ones, it's likely that intelligent life in the universe is considerably less common than unintelligent life.

It could be that intelligent life doesn't survive long enough to advance to the stage where they can time travel or develop warp drive technology. I doubt humans will live long enough to ever travel to another star. We'll most certainly be killed off, either by a terrible cosmic event or by a virus.

Here's to the future, while it lasts :banana2:
Reply 32
It would be silly to say that there definitely is extraterrestrial life. Although it is likely given the size of the universe, we do not have any evidence for it.
If there are any planets which are similar to earth, then it will last 10 or 20 years at most until the mankind will discover such a planet in the universe. And then, I'm sure, the mankind will find extraterrestrial life.
Yes, I'm un-decided on intelligent life but I do believe that there is at very least, cellular life somewhere.
Reply 35
Original post by Woodlepoodle
Thanks for voting! Do you think it is possible that what people think are aliens and UFOs are actually evolved humans visiting from the future?? They would love to come and have a look at previous civilisations but they would know not to interfere with the past! Just a thought!

Now that is an impressive thought! It carries some weight man.
There are only two possibilities:

Either we are alone or we are not

Both are equally as terrifying

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Definitely though I doubt we will find anything quite as intelligent as humans.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
I don't see why it's a matter of belief. It is possible, but until we're given (satisfactory) evidence, I just don't know.
Original post by Pulse.
Definitely though I doubt we will find anything quite as intelligent as humans.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Human arrogance at its best ladies and gentlement. The human race, masters of the universe, nothing or nobody can be smarter. We are the universe's most intelligent creation. Pffft

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending