The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

what is the university of sheffield like for a mature student?

So I am currently doing my Access to HE diploma with an perfectly achievable offer from the University of Sheffield and am wondering, what can I expect as an Adult student (mature student.) I am currently in the later end of my mid 20’s, so not a fogie just yet, but my main worry is that I will feel a bit alienated. I have enough friends up and around Sheffield to feed my social need outside of uni, but a big part of me wanting to go is been able to share my ideas and thoughts with exciting, refreshing people that I have the potential of meeting and hopefully becoming friends with. I need a university that’s warm and full of intelligent, interesting people that shear the love I have for literature (since it is English literature I will be studying.) is there many mature students at Sheffield Uni, and even if there isn’t what’s the likely hood of me fitting in?
So what I really mean to say is, what’s the university like is for a mature student?

I also suffer from the same concerns many of you guys probably had, what’s the course like? Are the lecturers passionate and good at teaching you guys? I know Sheffield’s nightlife is fantastic but I am more interested in what sort of activities are available i.e, poetry club, net ball team, ball room dancing, insert other random club and are they fun?
Hi there,

Congrats on your offer from Sheffield! Just thought I would reply and try to answer a few of your queries.

First off, there's a lot of support for mature students at Sheffield. As well as all the typical support you'd expect from your department, there's also the mature Students Committee, who work extremely hard to represent mature students and to help them feel comfortable and welcomed at Sheffield. They also run social and academic events so that mature students from across the University can meet and get to know one another.

Secondly, your department. From personal experience of the English department (I studied my MA in English Literature and Creative Writing at Sheffield), I can say it's very welcoming and fun place to study. All the lecturers I've ever had are hugely passionate about what they do, and teach in a dynamic and interesting way. There's a good range of modules on offer and you'll be able to take choose classes that suit your interests. As well as your classes, there are also plenty of extra things to get involved in through the department, including research seminars, exhibitions, films and even a Gothic reading group, if that takes your fancy. This means that there's plenty of opportunity to engage with other people in the English department (undergraduate, postgraduate and staff) and share thoughts and ideas.

There are over 300 student societies to get involved in at Sheffield, plus a multitude of sports teams. There is definitely a Poetry Society, as well as a Book Society, Scriptwriting Group (Scripted) and other creative writing societies and English Literature appreciation groups (here's the full list of student societies on offer at the Students' Union - most of the societies at Sheffield are affiliated with the Union, but there are quite a few groups within the English department - like Scripted and the Gothic reading group - that are run more informally, so keep your eye out for those). The university has a netball team, but the English Society also have their own team that competes in intra-mural matches against other academic departments. Being involved in a society whilst at University is a huge amount of fun - it's a great way to regularly do something you are passionate about, as well as to make friends that have a common interest. You'll find that most societies encompass a good split of age-ranges too - in my societies, I had friends of all ages from all sorts of different departments, and many of the people I met are still my very good friends even now that I've finished university. In fact, I'm still involved in a couple of the creative writing groups within the English department, so I can vouch for them being particularly welcoming of students (and former students!) of all ages and academic levels.

I hope that helps you out a bit! Good luck with your diploma.

Best wishes,

Georgie, Student Communications Team at the University of Sheffield
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Original post by The University of Sheffield
Hi there,

Congrats on your offer from Sheffield! Just thought I would reply and try to answer a few of your queries.

First off, there's a lot of support for mature students at Sheffield. As well as all the typical support you'd expect from your department, there's also the mature Students Committee, who work extremely hard to represent mature students and to help them feel comfortable and welcomed at Sheffield. They also run social and academic events so that mature students from across the University can meet and get to know one another.

Secondly, your department. From personal experience of the English department (I studied my MA in English Literature and Creative Writing at Sheffield), I can say it's very welcoming and fun place to study. All the lecturers I've ever had are hugely passionate about what they do, and teach in a dynamic and interesting way. There's a good range of modules on offer and you'll be able to take choose classes that suit your interests. As well as your classes, there are also plenty of extra things to get involved in through the department, including research seminars, exhibitions, films and even a Gothic reading group, if that takes your fancy. This means that there's plenty of opportunity to engage with other people in the English department (undergraduate, postgraduate and staff) and share thoughts and ideas.

There are over 300 student societies to get involved in at Sheffield, plus a multitude of sports teams. There is definitely a Poetry Society, as well as a Book Society, Scriptwriting Group (Scripted) and other creative writing societies and English Literature appreciation groups (here's the full list of student societies on offer at the Students' Union - most of the societies at Sheffield are affiliated with the Union, but there are quite a few groups within the English department - like Scripted and the Gothic reading group - that are run more informally, so keep your eye out for those). The university has a netball team, but the English Society also have their own team that competes in intra-mural matches against other academic departments. Being involved in a society whilst at University is a huge amount of fun - it's a great way to regularly do something you are passionate about, as well as to make friends that have a common interest. You'll find that most societies encompass a good split of age-ranges too - in my societies, I had friends of all ages from all sorts of different departments, and many of the people I met are still my very good friends even now that I've finished university. In fact, I'm still involved in a couple of the creative writing groups within the English department, so I can vouch for them being particularly welcoming of students (and former students!) of all ages and academic levels.

I hope that helps you out a bit! Good luck with your diploma.

Best wishes,

Thank you ever so much Georgie, very helpful stuff!
Original post by tbows
Thank you ever so much Georgie, very helpful stuff!

You are most welcome! :smile: If there's anything else I can help with, just let me know.

Best wishes,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending