The Student Room Group

Nexus 5, Nokia Lumia 1020, New HTC or the Samsung Galaxy S5?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
What would you say is the best phone for photography at the moment? Do you think it'll be the Samsung S5? I'd love the Lumia 1020 but it's Windows phone! :frown: There's barely any apps on Windows that i've used before on iOS and Android :frown:
Original post by Rodderrrrrs
Ok then... maybe not needing a fingerprint scanner haha, but it's just nice to have a phone with a good camera for times when I don't want to lug my DSLR around. Like if i'm out cycling... which I go out a lot, and I'm one of those people who love the sky and sunset and love getting a good photo of it!

The only reason I didn't say the LG G2... apparently it's big. I don't want a really big phone, nor a really small one like an iPhone! I hate using my iPhone now. iOS 7 is awful.

The LG G2 isn't that big, it just has a big screen in the smallest possible chassis. So the screen is edge to edge pretty much and bezels on the top and bottom are really small compared to other phones. Also there are no buttons on the sides so it feels really nice in the hand!

It's also only a shade larger in terms of height, and width than the S4 which means it'll be about the same size as the S5

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also the cut out above the actual sensor allows for showing depth which means when you take a photo you can actually tilt the phone and picture moves. Not unlike the parallax effect with the Iphone but with a picture taken.

Also the two sensors allows for some of the quicker shutter speeds.
And also when taking high resolution images, the Nokia 1020 has been known to take a considerable amount of time to process them so bear that in mind as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
What would you say is the best phone for photography at the moment? Do you think it'll be the Samsung S5? I'd love the Lumia 1020 but it's Windows phone! :frown: There's barely any apps on Windows that i've used before on iOS and Android :frown:

The 1020 is always going to have the better camera regardless but if it's just for everyday snaps then there's really no need to get a 41mp camera for that. My friend take pictures of sun sets and it looks great on his iphone 4s so really any flagship phone will do the job especially if it's just for sharing etc.

I'd your planning on printing the pictures full size then you really shouldn't be looking at phone cameras

Posted from TSR Mobile

We'll need to wait for S5 sample shots to come out when reviews start hitting the web, but I'd be surprised if they bested the Lumia. Megapixel count isn't everything but the 1020, as you've noticed, produces amazing images either way. If camera is such a major consideration, it could be worth holding out to see what Sony manage to achieve with the Z2's camera too.
Reply 25
Original post by simpletech668
The 1020 is always going to have the better camera regardless but if it's just for everyday snaps then there's really no need to get a 41mp camera for that. My friend take pictures of sun sets and it looks great on his iphone 4s so really any flagship phone will do the job especially if it's just for sharing etc.

I'd your planning on printing the pictures full size then you really shouldn't be looking at phone cameras

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've got an iPhone but don't want to have an iPhone anymore.

I have a dslr for printing big photos, but it's for when i'm not carrying it around with me, that a phone camera is quite nice to use. I'd like to use it as a desktop background, and to be nice and clear. I just don't understand why in this day, a manufacturer launches a really good phone but with only a 4 megapixel camera :s-smilie:
Reply 26
Cool! Will do!

Basically, what I use on my phone each day... Text/Calls, Camera, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Metro newspaper app, Strava cycling, Flipboard, weather, email, and just general web browsing. Unfortunately the Metro newspaper app, Strava and Flipboard isn't on Windows and I like those apps! :frown:

I have a dslr for printing big photos, but it's for when i'm not carrying it around with me, that a phone camera is quite nice to use. I'd like to use it as a desktop background, and to be nice and clear. I just don't understand why in this day, a manufacturer launches a really good phone but with only a 4 megapixel camera :s-smilie:

It's not a bad camera the one on the HTC M8 if that's what you're talking about, it's just not as clear in well lit conditions as the other competitors. So any flagship apart from the nexus 5 will be fine for that sort of thing. So I think you can take the camera out of the equation now. It's merely just a choice between what sort of software you want and what sort of hardware you want.

Camera technology is not really going to progress much in phones, it's just going to be adding more pixels into a camera sensor in a smaller space.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cool! Will do!

Basically, what I use on my phone each day... Text/Calls, Camera, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Metro newspaper app, Strava cycling, Flipboard, weather, email, and just general web browsing. Unfortunately the Metro newspaper app, Strava and Flipboard isn't on Windows and I like those apps! :frown:

Get a samsung device because all the thibgs u said are in samsung but dont get the s5 get the note 3 because the s5 design is outragious but the nite 3 is great i have that and couldnt ask for a better phone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If all else fails i strongly recommend the xperia z2. Great display, camera design and the software is decent. Also remember for most android devices you can get pure android by rooting and installing custom roms however the problem with this is that you can lose special features implemented by OEMS on their respected devices.
Cool! Will do!

Get an Android. It's pretty much a no brainer seeing as you don't want an IPhone. And on what phone. Well every single phone you've said in the first post will handle these tasks with ease so go into a store, try them out and then decide what you feel works best for you!

Tell us your decision once you make it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31

Same reason why the iPhone 5S is still 8MP. So they can make the sensor bigger and increase the pixel size to allow more light in.
Reply 32
what about xperia Z2? I think it has a beautiful design and with a very good camera. But still if I were you I'd rather go for HTC One though.
Tbh the G2 isn't that bigger, a smidge bigger than the nexus and smaller than the s5, m8 and (i think) 1020. And its had great reviews about its screen camera etc. I think its definately worth looking at for the price you can get it (i think its around 350?)
Original post by RadioheadHermie
Tbh the G2 isn't that bigger, a smidge bigger than the nexus and smaller than the s5, m8 and (i think) 1020. And its had great reviews about its screen camera etc. I think its definately worth looking at for the price you can get it (i think its around 350?)

309 from amazon, for that price I'd seriously recommend it.
Reply 35
Original post by kevinago
what about xperia Z2? I think it has a beautiful design and with a very good camera. But still if I were you I'd rather go for HTC One though.

Original post by Camoxide
Same reason why the iPhone 5S is still 8MP. So they can make the sensor bigger and increase the pixel size to allow more light in.

Get an Android. It's pretty much a no brainer seeing as you don't want an IPhone. And on what phone. Well every single phone you've said in the first post will handle these tasks with ease so go into a store, try them out and then decide what you feel works best for you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not a bad camera the one on the HTC M8 if that's what you're talking about, it's just not as clear in well lit conditions as the other competitors. So any flagship apart from the nexus 5 will be fine for that sort of thing. So I think you can take the camera out of the equation now. It's merely just a choice between what sort of software you want and what sort of hardware you want.

Camera technology is not really going to progress much in phones, it's just going to be adding more pixels into a camera sensor in a smaller space.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for all of your replies...

Went shopping on my day off. Went into O2 and that new HTC looks gorgeous... screen looks quite amazing too and not as ugly as I first thought!! Think I might order it from the Carphone Warehouse cos they give you 2 weeks to return it if you're not happy, plus it'll be sim free so I can put my £15 Three One Plan sim in it :wink:

I went for that cos the S5 just looks too plasticy, I went on the Lumia 1020 and Windows doesn't have much apps, and I won't go for the Nexus 5 because it's not got as many features as the HTC One M8.

Thanks for all your help :smile:
Reply 36

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by basit282828
Get a samsung device because all the thibgs u said are in samsung but dont get the s5 get the note 3 because the s5 design is outragious but the nite 3 is great i have that and couldnt ask for a better phone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by RadioheadHermie

Hi guys...

Just an update, I've pre-ordered the Samsung S5. The HTC One M8 looks gorgeous, but for me, a phone has got to have a good camera, so that's why the HTC One M8 has lost this time :frown:

As for the Lumia 1020, I'd have got it if it ran Android. Windows Phone just doesn't have the apps I use :frown:
Hi guys...

Just an update, I've pre-ordered the Samsung S5. The HTC One M8 looks gorgeous, but for me, a phone has got to have a good camera, so that's why the HTC One M8 has lost this time :frown:

As for the Lumia 1020, I'd have got it if it ran Android. Windows Phone just doesn't have the apps I use :frown:

specs wise, youve already brought an inferior phone consiering the g2 is more powerful, the g3 will be even more so and have a much better screen

i would suggest u cancel ur s5 pre order and wait for the g3
I'd definitely go for the HTC One :biggrin:
Original post by rickfloss
specs wise, youve already brought an inferior phone consiering the g2 is more powerful, the g3 will be even more so and have a much better screen

i would suggest u cancel ur s5 pre order and wait for the g3

I agree, the G2 was an outstanding device, only "problem" was no expandable storage which they have altered with their G2 Pro and G2 Mini so I assume, it'll feature in the G3 along with a great camera, great screen and same if not better (3GB RAM) specs

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending