The Student Room Group

Should teachers be able to strike?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Does no-one on TSR know an early years teacher? If you think all teachers do at home is mark and plan lessons, so for the foundation stages that equates to very little then I don't even know where to start. :frown:
Original post by StrangeBanana
Still doesn't take away from the fact that in virtually every other graduate profession you get 3 weeks off per year, and in teaching you get 13. You may be marking, going on teacher-training days, planning lessons, for several hours on a few of those days*, but the fact is, you are not in your place of work for 13 weeks of the year. It isn't as if people in other professions do no work outside their place of work, either.

*They wouldn't be marking very much in their holidays, either! They should be marking primarily on the weekends of working weeks, so that they can give students' work back the next week.

Then the other professions should be unionising and demanding more time off for themselves shouldn't they? "I'm miserable and overworked so everyone else should bloody well have to be too" - the mantra of the British worker
Still doesn't take away from the fact that in virtually every other graduate profession you get 3 weeks off per year

The statutory minimum paid holiday entitlement is 5.6 weeks.
Yes, they should! if teachers are striking for better wages or even a better education system, then I'm sympathetic about teacher's strike.
Reply 64
it gave me 4 frees to day & the school was so quite without KS3 so I loved it I got so much done.
Reply 65
from psycological point : No coz kids will hate and fear teacher and education

but now days not a must in uk : students from schools that banned striking are extremly difficult to control
Yes, of course they should be able to strike. Unions don't strike on a whim - they strike when their profession is being continuously meddled with by ignorant politicians; when their workload is being increased with no real terms pay increase; when their pay, benefits and conditions are facing real terms cuts; and ultimately when the people responsible for such changes fail to negotiate or even listen to them, which is essential even if you agree with austerity.

Teachers have voiced their professional and experienced opinions again and again on government changes and been ignored, had agreed a programme of talks with the DfE and Education Secretary and had them pushed back on a number of occasions, and are being flat-out ignored on everything from pay to pensions, conditions to cuts, promotion to provision. It's pretty hard not to resort to striking when you can't get a word in to even negotiate.
Reply 67
Yeah - I'm sure it does teachers good to blow off some steam every so often. If they want to stand around a brazier singing rude songs about michael gove, let them.

we wouldn't want them bottling up the stress, ultimately snapping and strangling their pupils.
Original post by HeyFromNY_USA
No?! Think about the ****ing children!!!!

What is more important? the future or the presence of children? if a strike changes children's future for the better, is it still better in your opinion to renounce a strike?
Reply 69
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
If its not harming the work of students then its not working in being disruptive. You know as well as I do those assessments are largely copy and pasted along with school reports, plus thats nothing in the bigger picture, since its a reception class the marking is minimal and simple. They also get more than enough time to do the work they are given to do. Since A level students are so independent, they can do marking during these classes while students are doing work independently to be more efficient. They still get weekends and half terms and summer plus like 2 sick days a month off, this is massive compared to most professions, what have they got to complain about?

I used that as one example, and it's really not a matter of copying and pasting. Your learning is seriously not impacted by a one day break. It's disruptive because it has a knock on effect in childcare for parents, that's where the pressure goes too. Since they're independent, it doesn't matter if they had a teacher there or not. I've had lecturers strike, you just go and do the work.

If they didn't have anything to complain about, thousands of teachers wouldn't strike. This is literally the same thing everyone chants when any profession strikes, 'but they have it so good?' Well, clearly not, and glossing over the problem doesn't help either.
Reply 70
Everyone should be able to strike, it'd be a bit unfair to say to teachers that they can't strike.
Reply 71
It is a democratic right that the citizens of this country fought for, so of course they should.
Teachers chose to be teachers, they knew what they were getting into! If they dont like the pay go somewhere else, nurses get paid less! I agree that its their right to strike but when its disrupting my education then its different!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cylos
It is a democratic right that the citizens of this country fought for, so of course they should.

There is nothing to be added, but same rights for different people with different jobs! the same should apply to teachers too.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by tash.emily
Teachers chose to be teachers, they knew what they were getting into!
Posted from TSR Mobile

They got into something different. Pay and conditions have worsened significantly under this Government.

Original post by tash.emily
If they dont like the pay go somewhere else
Posted from TSR Mobile

They seem to be following your advice. 50% quit teaching within five years. The number of leavers increased by 20% last year.
Teachers get an annual salary. That means they get paid a set amount every month. They do not get paid by the hour. They are not "unpaid in the holidays", their monthly pay-check is unchanged by how many days off sick they use or how many weeks off half-term happen to fall in that month.

In some areas this isn't the case.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mechie
I suggest that you organise your time and work more efficiently then. I'm applying for my PGCE and I've never spoken to a teacher who says that there is this amount of excessive work. There is work to be done out of hours, but it's not excessive compared to other professional jobs.

You're supposed to be a teacher because you like children and want to help them grow and learn, not moan about there being children on holiday!

Haha! Just you wait!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
If its not harming the work of students then its not working in being disruptive. You know as well as I do those assessments are largely copy and pasted along with school reports, plus thats nothing in the bigger picture, since its a reception class the marking is minimal and simple. They also get more than enough time to do the work they are given to do. Since A level students are so independent, they can do marking during these classes while students are doing work independently to be more efficient. They still get weekends and half terms and summer plus like 2 sick days a month off, this is massive compared to most professions, what have they got to complain about?

You shouldn't be marking whilst pupils are working. Unless maybe they're sitting an exam paper or something where your input isn't allowed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by myblueheaven339
You shouldn't be marking whilst pupils are working. Unless maybe they're sitting an exam paper or something where your input isn't allowed

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well it happens regardless of whether they are supposed to be doing it lol.
In my experience, all of those people whining about the disruption to their education are the ones that are disruptive themselves, but they don't see that themselves!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending