The Student Room Group

PC or Laptop? CompSci

I'm going to be starting CompSci next year, but have a pretty out-dated PC/Laptop.

My pc isn't fast enough and compiles program's really slowly. I've done some game development and have realised that my PC/laptop can't handle anything.

So, since I'm starting CompSci next year I'm going to buy a new pc or laptop. Which should I buy?

PC:

More power than a laptop, at a cheaper price.

Easily customisable.

Doesn't overheat.

Laptop:

The opposite.

Do I have to have a laptop for CompSci? I was thinking of buying a decent Pc for first year uni and MacBook Pro/air for year 2... I'll only use the macbook for basic stuff(that's why I chose a macbook lol, they're crap).

Edit: My current budget is £700-800 MAX = $1155 - $1318
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by 0xygen
I'm going to be starting CompSci next year, but have a pretty out-dated PC/Laptop.

My pc isn't fast enough and compiles program's really slowly. I've done some game development and have realised that my PC/laptop can't handle anything.

So, since I'm starting CompSci next year I'm going to buy a new pc or laptop. Which should I buy?

PC:

More power than a laptop, at a cheaper price.

Easily customisable.

Doesn't overheat.

Laptop:

The opposite.

Do I have to have a laptop for CompSci? I was thinking of buying a decent Pc for first year uni and MacBook Pro/air for year 2... I'll only use the macbook for basic stuff(that's why I chose a macbook lol, they're crap).

Edit: My current budget is £700-800 MAX = $1155 - $1318

Nice bating with the "lulz macs r crap" (if you really think that, save yourself what is clearly going to be a huge pain and just don't get one.)

It's convenient to have a laptop to take to lectures and tutorials, especially more practical ones. If you really want customisable, get anything other than an ultrabook and customise to your heart's content.

The most popular setup here among CS students seems to be the lightweight laptop/ultrabook along with big monitor on your desk combination. You really don't need an immensely powerful machine, if it can solve the average Project Euler problem then you'll have no problem with the first few years of CompSci.
Reply 2
Original post by Damask-
Nice bating with the "lulz macs r crap" (if you really think that, save yourself what is clearly going to be a huge pain and just don't get one.)

It's convenient to have a laptop to take to lectures and tutorials, especially more practical ones. If you really want customisable, get anything other than an ultrabook and customise to your heart's content.

The most popular setup here among CS students seems to be the lightweight laptop/ultrabook along with big monitor on your desk combination. You really don't need an immensely powerful machine, if it can solve the average Project Euler problem then you'll have no problem with the first few years of CompSci.

I make and edit videos which is why I thought of getting a MacBook Pro. I know that its a blatant rip off, but, it looks nice.

Also, I can't find any "decent looking" non bulky laptops worth purchasing. Most have the new touch screens which I hate.

Specs I require:

Intel core i5 - I would have purchased the 4670k 3.4ghz

Graphics Card - Gforce GTX 2gb 660 or similar

Hard drive - 750GB minimum, at least 7500 rpm - Would have picked this for pc Samsung 840 Evo 500gb + 128gb Corsair SSD

RAM - Any, 8GB preferred. - Would have picked "8GB Vengeance Corsair"

Motherboard - Would have selected this for PC "Gigabite Z77 D3H"

Rest: Don't matter much.

I think this is a good setup for a semi-pro Laptop/PC... Any recommendations?
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending