The Student Room Group

Do You Feel Threatened By Attractive Members...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChickenMadness
ye pretty much what I just said in my original quote. That's just your opinion and everyone can interpret it in their own way. You're just arguing in circles trying to put down bodybuilders.

You ever thought people have different dreams/aspirations/goals/opinions/interests to you?

I'm afraid its not just "my opinion" at all, anymore than the fact that 2+2=4 is "just my opinion".

Its not just "my opinion", its also Socrates opinion, and that is the only thing that is relevant.
No, not based on their attractiveness but when they are arrogant about their looks and are self indulgent it makes me want to punch them in the face so hard that my knuckles, as well as their face, bleed.
I wouldn't say threatened, it's more like intimidated for some strange reason :s-smilie:
Well yeah, but because of shyness rather than jealousy...
Original post by cole-slaw
Firstly, you need to calm down and not get so worked up and try to maintain a civil tone with other posters, please.

Let me explain what I meant as clearly my previous explanation was inadequate. You said:

"Since I've started X I've experienced increased confidence, better physical fitness, become more goal oriented and positive and I have something in life that I'm passionate about. Not to mention I'm generally a lot less lazy than I was due to increased physical work ethic, and the increased mental toughness and determination is applicable to everyday life. I also stick to a balanced diet and make a conscious effort to improve my sleeping habits, as well as avoid excessive alcohol consumption."

Now we know that for you personally, X = weightlifting. You tried cue sports but didn't feel the same benefits.

But simply from reading the above paragraph, is there any way to know that X is weightlifting? Of course not, because none of those benefits are specific to weightlifting, For someone else, those effects could have come from a whole range of different activities.

You don't seem to understand the difference between what is true for you personally, and what might be true for someone else.

Back to the point, we're debating to what extent training to increase the size of your muscles can be seen as an improvement to your body and at which point it becomes unnecessary or even detrimental. You initially claimed that Soctrates comment about the perfect male athletic physique was referring specifically to bulking in style of a body builder, but you later admitted that many professional athletes deliberately avoid excessive muscle size because it actually inhibits their physical athletic abilities. It is the latter view that I concur with.

No "any old job" doesn't pay £30 an hour, but the one I am currently doing happens to. There is not much else to say about that.

Calm down? :lol: I'm calm mate, can't see where if gone off my head anywhere...

100% certain, it isn't just a personal thing. Anyone who takes it seriously will tell you the same thing. You learn not to dwell on negatives. Your eating habits change and in conjunction with physique improvements you look and feel better for it. You increase your physical work tolerance and work ethic in general. You begin applying the same goal setting principles you use in lifting to other things in life. I could go on. These things are experienced universally by people heavily immersed in the sport, that I can assure you.

You're missing the point. That very first quote I made which you pulled me up on, was in regards to physical training to create strength and aesthetical improvements. You said this is not self improvement, which I've made clear I disagree with - also, in my case, I'm facially a good looking fella, but in my adolescence I grew tall and skinny, was unhappy about it and not confident in my body, so I made changes and now I'm happier in my own skin. That's a form of self improvement. We got onto lifting for athletic ability because you refuted the productivity of lifting as a whole and I listed a number of varying benefits. That's it.
Carrying a bit of mass is not detrimental, at all. Granted, there are limits, but in general a fair amount of balanced muscle growth can provide extra support to the joints. I've always had issues with my knees, but since I've built some muscle around them they've never been better. The only reason some athletes avoid getting big is because more mass often equals less speed, it has nothing to do with it being unhealthy and many athletes indeed increase muscle to help them with their sport (short distance sprinters and runners, for example).
Thread got slightly derailed lol...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending