The Student Room Group

What does this mean?

Hi guys,

I wonder if you give me some advice or help me to figure out what this is.

So there is this guy I have been in relationship with for 2 years. September last year, I moved to another city but still really close to him (just 1 hour away). He cheated on me in November and when I found out he said its because he was feeling lonely and it was just physical attraction nothing else. So I forgave him and gave him another change but then he would keep telling me him flirting with other girls in his class and girls he is talking to and he find them pretty (why would he tell me this??). So I said I really hate it when he does that but he said it was just to annoy me thats all.

We always get into arguments because I cant trust him at all. I tried a trick last month where I posted a picture of me and another boy just so he can see that. And when he said that he called my phone more than 20 times and when I finally picked up, he was really angry and wanted an explanation about who is that guy. So I told him it was just a trick to see his reaction and he said 'never do that again'.

Then last week, he didn't contact me for 3 days and when he did, he said that the same girl he cheated on me with he started talking to her alot and then asked her if she can do FWB with him but she said no. So he felt really hurt and then called me and said he is not feeling good at all. I just put down the phone and said I am finished. He tried calling me back for a whole hour and when he couldnt get through he kept emailing me saying he is not fine and that we should talk. Then when I pick up his call finally, he was crying and saying that he loves me and that he want us to give it another chance and that it's me he will always love. So I told him that why is it that all the time when someone reject him thats the only time he think of me and why am I always the second option, he said 'no you're always the first option'. It's so stupid.
Reply 1
To be honest from what you've said it sounds like that guy is messed up. I'm a guy (just so you know) and I personally feel really embarrassed because it seems like it''s always guys who do that sort of thing. I won't tell you to dump him but that's twice now and he's doing it so unashamedly, and when you do it (or appear to anyway) he gets mad, that's just double standards, imagine going forward in life with that constantly. Thats my take on it. Hope it helps
Pretty straightforward, break up (if you've not already and not very clear) and go no contact. No point wasting energy on him or trying to fathom his motivations.
Reply 3
Honestly, it doesn't sound like a healthy relationship for you to be in at all. It's hugely damaging on your self-worth and general mental health to be treated the way you've described. If he cannot cope with the long-distance, it's not your responsibility. For your own health and happiness, you should end the relationship and move on (I know it's hard, but it's better in the long-run, trust me!).

If you're worried about his mental health, maybe you could reach out to one of his family members or his university. If he threatens to hurt himself, do not react to this - just call the police in his area and explain that you are concerned for his wellbeing and outline the situation. I understand it being an incredibly awkward and stressful situation for you to be in, but it's important that you always put yourself first. You clearly have not entered into a mutually open relationship, so you do not have to put up with being cheated on and you have absolutely no responsibility to forgive him and move on. You are absolutely entitled to feel upset, hurt and confused. Please don't let him carry on treating you like this. Nobody deserves to be cheated on!

It's also unhealthy for you to do "tests" like posting a picture of you and another boy, it'll only serve to mess with your head more in the long term. His reaction to this also shows how little regard he has for anyone but himself because he demands emotional validation from you when he feels threatened in the relationship, but sees no issue with openly telling you that he has no respect for you by flirting with other girls and requesting a FWB relationship with someone else. You should get out of this relationship before it makes you feel any worse!
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
To be honest from what you've said it sounds like that guy is messed up. I'm a guy (just so you know) and I personally feel really embarrassed because it seems like it''s always guys who do that sort of thing. I won't tell you to dump him but that's twice now and he's doing it so unashamedly, and when you do it (or appear to anyway) he gets mad, that's just double standards, imagine going forward in life with that constantly. Thats my take on it. Hope it helps

Thanks so much for your advice. It's very helpful. I also can't seem to figure it out why he doesn't feel any shame at all about his actions but keeps doing it over and over again. You're right- I think I will go really crazy if this keeps going on.
Reply 5
Original post by Admit-One
Pretty straightforward, break up (if you've not already and not very clear) and go no contact. No point wasting energy on him or trying to fathom his motivations.

Thank you. I agree with you, I will do that.
Reply 6
Original post by he11o_kitty
Honestly, it doesn't sound like a healthy relationship for you to be in at all. It's hugely damaging on your self-worth and general mental health to be treated the way you've described. If he cannot cope with the long-distance, it's not your responsibility. For your own health and happiness, you should end the relationship and move on (I know it's hard, but it's better in the long-run, trust me!).

If you're worried about his mental health, maybe you could reach out to one of his family members or his university. If he threatens to hurt himself, do not react to this - just call the police in his area and explain that you are concerned for his wellbeing and outline the situation. I understand it being an incredibly awkward and stressful situation for you to be in, but it's important that you always put yourself first. You clearly have not entered into a mutually open relationship, so you do not have to put up with being cheated on and you have absolutely no responsibility to forgive him and move on. You are absolutely entitled to feel upset, hurt and confused. Please don't let him carry on treating you like this. Nobody deserves to be cheated on!

It's also unhealthy for you to do "tests" like posting a picture of you and another boy, it'll only serve to mess with your head more in the long term. His reaction to this also shows how little regard he has for anyone but himself because he demands emotional validation from you when he feels threatened in the relationship, but sees no issue with openly telling you that he has no respect for you by flirting with other girls and requesting a FWB relationship with someone else. You should get out of this relationship before it makes you feel any worse!

You're right, it's not a healthy relationship at all, Maybe in a way, I know that already but I just remember the good memories we have and hope for the best that he will try to change and stop with all of this. I just find it a little strange that he does all of that to me but when he feels like the relationship is going a bad way for example, me blocking him because of what he's done and he find out he is blocked, he get really angry and tries to make it work like calling me everyday but then this goes away after a while and then he starts back again doing those crazy things only for me to do something and get angry that he does those things and then he tries again to make it up to me. I can feel that he tries sometimes but then it just disappears and then it goes around in circles like that. I mean if he gets angry when he feels the relationship is coming to end and tries to desperately to save it, that must mean that he does care and doesn't want it to end, but it doesn't explain the constant lying, cheating and disrespect over and over again.

But hearing your words does make alot sense. He really doesn't respect me at all if he keep doing those things as if he doesn't care how much he hurts me. So it really is for the best to just end it. Thank you, I appreciate your advice alot.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
You're right, it's not a healthy relationship at all, Maybe in a way, I know that already but I just remember the good memories we have and hope for the best that he will try to change and stop with all of this. I just find it a little strange that he does all of that to me but when he feels like the relationship is going a bad way for example, me blocking him because of what he's done and he find out he is blocked, he get really angry and tries to make it work like calling me everyday but then this goes away after a while and then he starts back again doing those crazy things only for me to do something and get angry that he does those things and then he tries again to make it up to me. I can feel that he tries sometimes but then it just disappears and then it goes around in circles like that. I mean if he gets angry when he feels the relationship is coming to end and tries to desperately to save it, that must mean that he does care and doesn't want it to end, but it doesn't explain the constant lying, cheating and disrespect over and over again.

But hearing your words does make alot sense. He really doesn't respect me at all if he keep doing those things as if he doesn't care how much he hurts me. So it really is for the best to just end it. Thank you, I appreciate your advice alot.

No worries at all, dude. Never try to hold on to a relationship for the memories, irrespective of how good they are. Some people just aren't ready for a serious relationship, and some are only capable of treating you like a human being for a limited period of time. It's usually the case that once a person realises they can get away with a certain standard of behaviour, they won't change. He loses his mind when you try to get out of the relationship because he likes whatever it is you offer him, maybe it's stability, but that isn't love and it's not stability for you. Whenever it's an unhealthy relationship and one party tries to leave, it's often the case that the side who's perpetuating disrespectful and controlling behaviour will scramble to keep you in their life. Just remember to put yourself first. If you are struggling to leave him, just know that you will find inner peace and contentedness far sooner than you expect. Surround yourself with those who care about you and make sure you do things you enjoy, and you'll have moved on in no time (:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending