The Student Room Group

Not pretty to others

I know this sounds weird, but after putting makeup on and dressing up, Overall im happy about my appearance. I think I’m pretty, though I do have some imperfections, as does everyone.
I feel confident pretty much all the time when I leave the house now (in comparison to a few years back) because I like how I look.

However, I get scared that I’m being delusional sometimes. What if Im one of those people who are over confident but aren’t pretty?

I have been asked out a few times from guys in my school. And honestly, since secondary school, I’ve changed hell of a lot.
Sixth form is a massive change and I Look Majorly different - so much happier as my skin got clearer!

I don’t leave my house, like ever. With strict parents, I find it hard for me to mingle with others, though I’m 17.

I just scared that what if the reason why I’ve never had a boyfriend is because I’m delusional and not pretty?

Again, growing up as what I think is ‘ugly’ seeming as I’m foreign and wasnt that appealing to look at has really changed my current mindset.

You always see in Movies and tv Shows Characters getting compliments from strangers when they’re out and about.
And though like I said I barely go outside of my house, I never receive compliments from strangers
Reply 1
I believe to be loved you have to truly love yourself and that includes your appearance! Love your perfections as well as your flaws! I’ve never been one to care what people think about me or my appearance and I think that’s the best way to live. Caring too much about what people think of you can have an affect on your mental health and that’s not what you want. At the end of the day, you are you, and yes we can do things to change our appearance but your opinion is the only one that truly matters. If you’re happy with you forget what anyone else thinks. As you said you have been asked out before so I think you’re questioning something that doesn’t need to be questioned. No matter what we look like we will find someone to love us, but at 17 I would just enjoy being young and having fun rather than caring about what other people think.

Chin up and be positive, I’m sure you’re beautiful🩷
Original post by Anonymous
I know this sounds weird, but after putting makeup on and dressing up, Overall im happy about my appearance. I think I’m pretty, though I do have some imperfections, as does everyone.
I feel confident pretty much all the time when I leave the house now (in comparison to a few years back) because I like how I look.

However, I get scared that I’m being delusional sometimes. What if Im one of those people who are over confident but aren’t pretty?

I have been asked out a few times from guys in my school. And honestly, since secondary school, I’ve changed hell of a lot.
Sixth form is a massive change and I Look Majorly different - so much happier as my skin got clearer!

I don’t leave my house, like ever. With strict parents, I find it hard for me to mingle with others, though I’m 17.

I just scared that what if the reason why I’ve never had a boyfriend is because I’m delusional and not pretty?

Again, growing up as what I think is ‘ugly’ seeming as I’m foreign and wasnt that appealing to look at has really changed my current mindset.

You always see in Movies and tv Shows Characters getting compliments from strangers when they’re out and about.
And though like I said I barely go outside of my house, I never receive compliments from strangers

It's completely natural to have these kinds of thoughts and concerns about your appearance, especially at your age. Let me address some of your worries and offer some perspective:

1. Self-perception: It's important to recognize that self-perception can be influenced by many factors, including personal experiences, cultural influences, and societal standards of beauty. However, confidence in your appearance is a positive trait and can have a significant impact on how others perceive you.

2. Comparing yourself to others: Remember that beauty is subjective and diverse. There's no one standard of attractiveness, and what one person finds attractive may be different from someone else's preferences. You should embrace your unique features and focus on what makes you feel good about yourself.

3. Compliments from strangers: While it's nice to receive compliments from strangers, it's not a definitive measure of your attractiveness. People have different personalities and comfort levels when it comes to giving compliments, and some cultures are more reserved in this regard. Don't base your self-worth solely on the opinions of strangers.

4. Strict parents and social interactions: If your parents' strictness makes it challenging to socialize and meet new people, it can understandably impact your opportunities to receive external validation. However, keep in mind that meaningful connections and relationships are built on more than just appearances. Being kind, confident, and genuine are qualities that can attract people to you.

5. Being delusional: It's essential to have a balanced view of yourself and recognize your imperfections alongside your strengths. Feeling good about your appearance doesn't necessarily mean you are delusional. It's about accepting yourself and being comfortable in your skin, which is a valuable trait.

6. Lack of a boyfriend: Not having a boyfriend at 17 is entirely normal and not necessarily related to your appearance. Many factors, such as social circumstances, timing, and personal preferences, play a role in forming relationships. Focus on developing your interests, hobbies, and self-confidence, and the right person will come into your life when the time is right.

7. Seek support and encouragement: If you find that your self-doubts are causing significant distress, consider talking to a trusted friend or family member about your feelings. Alternatively, seeking guidance from a counselor or therapist can provide valuable insights and help you build a more positive self-image.

Remember that beauty radiates from within, and being confident and content with yourself will naturally attract people who appreciate and value you for who you are. Embrace your journey of growth and self-discovery, and don't be too hard on yourself. You are worthy of love and respect just the way you are.
Reply 3
Relax a bit on whether you’re pretty. There is a lot more to life than this and if people are proactively asking you out, you’re doing better than a lot of people

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending