The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Most recently the Falklands War... Mostly for what it represented

During the 70's things in Britain had been becoming worse and worse. Our empire was shattered and our country seemed demoralised and deeply divided and our army hardly seemed great.

Winning the Falklands back showed that we were no longer going to be pushed around by other countries. Especially some tin pot dictatorship trying to seek vain glory at our expense.

The odds were not in our favour and the marines had a terrible time in the harsh conditions. Yet still we overcame and emerged the other side a revived nation.
Reply 21
There are so many to choose from, but one of the events in history that always humbles me is Rosa Parks' refusal in 1955 to give up her seat to a white passenger and the Montogomery Bus Boycott that followed.
the great fire of london - hence we got bigger roads and of course.. St Pauls Cathedral!
Reply 23
The battle of the Somme, or the Holocaust.
Reply 24
The French Revolution, because of the repercussions it had for secularism and liberty.
When Fidel Castro fell over last year. Made me giggle for days.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ykNX2sZxZYE
DanGrover
When Fidel Castro fell over last year. Made me giggle for days.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ykNX2sZxZYE

OMG that made me laugh so much, i would rep you if i hadent already used it up! too many people posting funny stuff on tsr to rep them!
for me it has to be... the chernobyl incedent!
Reply 28
LibertineNorth
Does that include the execution of his entire family in a basement?

Probably. Communists aren't exactly renowned for their compassion.
Reply 29
Just like the cappies who let millions of people die each year, foxo? :rolleyes:

BellaCat
Impossible question to answer but one that popped into my head was this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warsaw_ghetto_uprising

admirable, however:

Warsaw Uprising 1944.

:beer:
Reply 30
Thud
Just like the cappies who let millions of people die each year, foxo? :rolleyes:

At least under a capitalist society there's enough expendable income to donate to charity. :rolleyes:
Reply 31
foxo
At least under a capitalist society there's enough expendable income to donate to charity. :rolleyes:

of which hardly any of it actually goes to charity, rather it goes on nike trainers and flash cars.

Worldwide communism wouldn't require "charity".
Reply 32
Thud

Worldwide communism wouldn't require "charity".

Everyone would be equally up **** creek without a paddle, I suppose.
Reply 33
The part where all the Jews died.
Reply 34
foxo
Everyone would be equally up **** creek without a paddle, I suppose.

not at all, we'd simply stop the exploitation of LEDC's by everyone else. :smile:
Reply 35
Man landing on the moon - a pinnacle of human scientific Achievement, and Dr Kings speech. I think also the battle of britain is really inspirational. :smile:
Battle of Britain, Dunkirk, fall of the Berlin Wall and the end of the Soviet Union...
The French Revolution for its (initially) high ideals. It was the political epitome of the enlightenment, not to mention, it gave birth to one of my idols of history: Napoleon. Indeed, it was a "fine time for an enterprising young man" as he was then.
Reply 38
The construction of the Tower of Babel.

"Most recently the Falklands War... Mostly for what it represented"

Echoed.
Reply 39
xx Lotz
oh i know mine!! when Nelson Mandela (don't think that's how it spelt) stood up for the blacks during the apartheid. He stood up for what he knew was right, when nobody else had the voice to, despite knowing he'd be severly punished. I think if more people did that then the world would be a much fairer place!! Yeah so that's mine lol. Y what's yours "moshe yichae"??

x x x

Well he wasn't the only one.

Latest

Trending

Trending