The Student Room Group

The religious oppressing the LGBT community?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by I am not finite
But Alex, if you don't conform to the left wing views you must be 'illogical' (despite the fact most economists are right-wing). Left wingers may have good intentions but they're just as authoritarian than the people they stamp out.

No, you're illogical because you are. But it's all right, I will tolerate your existence.
Original post by clh_hilary
Christianity is a relatively new religion.

More rubbish from you. You know nothing, get an education.
Original post by mmmpie
Of course there are problems in our society, I just don't think that it can be described as abysmal. A lot of what you describe are value differences, like hedonism, which are not necessarily problems.

People who think our societies are 'abysmal' are really just spoilt children who have never really opened their eyes to see the situations of poor countries (oh many happen to be christian/muslim) or history.
Christianity is a relatively new religion.

I would say it's the faith which has had the most impact on the world as we know it, in this respect it's old. How many other religions and belief systems from thousands of years ago still last today, because there were many. It's just some that have lasted and still have a large influence for something so old.
More rubbish from you. You know nothing, get an education.

Thank you for the advice. I'm going to Oxford so yeah. :h:
Original post by The_Dragonborn
I would say it's the faith which has had the most impact on the world as we know it, in this respect it's old. How many other religions and belief systems from thousands of years ago still last today, because there were many. It's just some that have lasted and still have a large influence for something so old.

Doesn't take away the fact that it is relatively new, regardless of what that infinite guy would like to think.
Thank you for the advice. I'm going to Oxford so yeah. :h:

I don't care what institution you're attending, you could have a PHD in neuroscience and you'd still be demonstrating you're an ignorant fool on these matters.

Doesn't take away the fact that it is relatively new, regardless of what that infinite guy would like to think.

Relatively new compared to what? It's existed for almost 2,000 years now.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by shadowdweller
Dammit, you're not supposed to tell them that!

Now we must proceed!
I don't care what institution you're attending, you could have a PHD in neuroscience and you'd still be demonstrating you're an ignorant fool on these matters.

Ha. You literally just ask me to get an education. So now that you realise that I am getting the best education there could be, you're retracting to just that I'm wrong.

The fact of the matter is, christianity is a fairly new religion. It doesn't even predate China.

Oh wait, of course it doesn't. China can be traced back from longer than what christianity thinks the world has existed. :cool:
I don't think religion will ever be entirely eliminated from society either.

And there will always be something to be in its role.

No it's not relatively new at all. Especially for a belief system that has had (and still has) a major influence on today's work. It's from over two and a half thousand years ago for Christ's sake. Tell me of a religion/code/belief system older than that, that still maintains an influence like Christianity does despite its age.

Anyhow this is going a little off-topic so let's try and bring it back. :smile:
Ha. You literally just ask me to get an education. So now that you realise that I am getting the best education there could be, you're retracting to just that I'm wrong.

The fact of the matter is, christianity is a fairly new religion. It doesn't even predate China.

Oh wait, of course it doesn't. China can be traced back from longer than what christianity thinks the world has existed. :cool:

Ridiculous. Like I said I don't care what institution you attend, your education has been nothing short of abysmal. Of course religions existed before Christianity (really you had to look all the way to China), but it's not NEW.
Original post by anarchism101
Yeah ok let's replace it with anarchist economics and we can trade in fairies.

So do you actually have a response or just ad hominems?

He also insults. Though they often do overlap.
Ridiculous. Like I said I don't care what institution you attend, your education has been nothing short of abysmal. Of course religions existed before Christianity (really you had to look all the way to China), but it's not NEW, if that's NEW then democracy is new.

Democracy is new. What's your point? :confused:

My education has been 'nothing short of abysmal'. Will take that as a compliment from you seeing how you think our society is in an abysmal state.

When you run out of argument, you just attack people for not having an education, then when you find out that this someone goes to Oxford, you find that you have nothing else to say so you just make even emptier attacks. Your desperation is showing brah.
So do you actually have a response or just ad hominems?

Most ad hominems are insults, which you'd know if you had any understanding of informal logic or latin.
No it's not relatively new at all. Especially for a belief system that has had (and still has) a major influence on today's work. It's from over two and a half thousand years ago for Christ's sake. Tell me of a religion/code/belief system older than that, that still maintains an influence like Christianity does despite its age.

Anyhow this is going a little off-topic so let's try and bring it back. :smile:

Confucianism?

Most ad hominems are insults, which you'd know if you had any understanding of informal logic or latin.

My comment does not contradict yours, which you'd know if you had any understanding of the English language.
Original post by DaveSmith99
This is hardly new. Throughout it's entire history religion has tried to persecute those who don't share their world view.

The sad thing is all 'liberated' groups turn out join the force to suppress all the others, partly as an attempt to fit in.
Confucianism?

Really? Confucianism!!! Hahahaha... you haven't been reading up on the Cultural Revolution have you. Another thing you're completely ignorant of.
Really? Confucianism!!! Hahahaha... you haven't been reading up on the Cultural Revolution have you. Another thing you're completely ignorant of.

I read Chinese history so you can stop now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending