The Student Room Group

Organ donation?

Poll

Would you donate organs after your death?

Organ donation forms seem to be everywhere nowadays. Seems to me that if you're put down for it there's no going back... so I refuse on principle, because I don't want to regret it later. :confused: Would you allow your organs to be transplanted into other people when you die?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Even if your on the list the ultimate decision lies with your net of kin when you die.
Reply 2
Yes, of course I would donate organs. I don't think they will want my lungs tho.
Reply 3
I won't need 'em when I'm dead. No reason to let them go to waste.
Reply 4
I don't need it if I'm dead. Someone else might benefit.
I'm on the organ donation register and I have opted to donate any of my useful organs when I die.
Reply 5
If you dead your not gonna need your organs...though I'm a little unsure about face transplants.
I would donate anything which is needed. I think I've become even more aware of organ donation because my grandad's kidney's are failing and I know how long the waiting list is.
i'd donate anything that was of any use. i'm on the organ donor register and i carry an organ donor card with me everywhere i go.

on the other hand, i'd like to think i was gonna live to old age. in which case being on the organ donor register would be of little significance. they prefer to use younger donors. for instance, an 80 year old heart would be pretty useless.
Reply 8
qwerty_st/n
i'd donate anything that was of any use. i'm on the organ donor register and i carry an organ donor card with me everywhere i go.

on the other hand, i'd like to think i was gonna live to old age. in which case being on the organ donor register would be of little significance. they prefer to use younger donors. for instance, an 80 year old heart would be pretty useless.

Ditto!

First I didn't want to donate my heart, because of personal reasons, and not donate kidney's as they do it in a gruesome way.

But the other week I was reading it and thought...you know what? Stop being so selfish, if this was for a loved one, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Being on the organ donation list is another reason for me to stay as healthy & fit as possible.

I'm also a blood donor, which reminds me I need to book another appointment.
Reply 9
I would consider it, but I'm not putting my name on any register until I'm older, and have discussed it with my family (whenever that will be).
Reply 10
I would donate any part of me, its not as if i will need them when im dead ...hopefully. When you apply for a driving licence there is a little tick box for organ donation, seemed selfish not to.
They can have whatever they like of me when I'm dead as far as I'm concerned. I certainly won't need the organs anymore, so why not let someone else benefit.

And this thread has just reminded me that I forgot to go and sign up as a blood donor a couple of weeks back. Oops.
Does no one feel that it would be incredibly insensitive to have you cut open almost immediately after dying (considering organs don't stay "fresh" forever once you're dead :biggrin:) and ripped apart, when your family might just like to see you again in your coffin and not a burst balloon with your face?
Reply 13
Yes, id daonate and am on the list. As mentioned above though, not sure about face transplants.
Reply 14
My fella and I have discussed this and we'll give each other's parts away if something happens! We don't care! :biggrin: Anyway, I think we're on the donor list so it should be taken of.

I do feel mega queasy at the thought of my ribs being prised apart to get to me 'bits' but, then, I will be dead.

Tryna do the blood and marrow thing as well and I'm just waiting for my blood test results to see if my haemoglobin levels are high enough. I really don't wanna give it away because I'm a sissy about needles. Funnily enough, I never used to care about getting needles but other sissies really drilled the fear into me. Buggers.
generalebriety
Does no one feel that it would be incredibly insensitive to have you cut open almost immediately after dying (considering organs don't stay "fresh" forever once you're dead :biggrin:) and ripped apart, when your family might just like to see you again in your coffin and not a burst balloon with your face?

It's not insensitive if they're respecting your wishes. If you hadn't told them you wanted to be a donor, and they decided they'd cut your organs out after you died, that might be insensitive, but if you've expressed your wish to be a donor, they're doing what you wanted them to. If any of my family members think it's insensitive to take my organs out after I'm dead, that's their choice, but frankly it's my body and I'll give parts of it to whomever I want to.
I wish I had chosen the partial donation now. I would donate, I think, things on my inside. But they'll take anything the can and I would prefer them not to take, say, my eyes, as if I was in, like, an open coffin, it would stressful for people I think.

Though personally, if I were ever to have a loved one, I would tell 'em just to dump my body in a bin bag and wait for garbage day. I don't really care about a grave or anything.

I also herad that sometimes, they can't tell if you are still alive of not because your vital signs are so low, and slow. That's why my dad said he would never be an organ donor as he didn't want to run the risk of them actually killing, as him in the ensuing rush to get the organs out they may miss the chance to realise that he is still alive.
matt@internet
I wish I had chosen the partial donation now. I would donate, I think, things on my inside. But they'll take anything the can and I would prefer them not to take, say, my eyes, as if I was in, like, an open coffin, it would stressful for people I think.

Though personally, if I were ever to have a loved one, I would tell 'em just to dump my body in a bin bag and wait for garbage day. I don't really care about a grave or anything.

I also herad that sometimes, they can't tell if you are still alive of not because your vital signs are so low, and slow. That's why my dad said he would never be an organ donor as he didn't want to run the risk of them actually killing, as him in the ensuing rush to get the organs out they may miss the chance to realise that he is still alive.

That was another of my worries... your heart can stop for around 4 minutes before you start to die. Within those 4 minutes they will have you on an operating table with your back open removing your kidneys, because if they don't, your kidneys start to 'die' too, and become useless. If, during those 4 minutes, your heart starts again, you're still alive... as long as your kidneys haven't already been removed. :smile:

Chumbaniya
It's not insensitive if they're respecting your wishes. If you hadn't told them you wanted to be a donor, and they decided they'd cut your organs out after you died, that might be insensitive, but if you've expressed your wish to be a donor, they're doing what you wanted them to. If any of my family members think it's insensitive to take my organs out after I'm dead, that's their choice, but frankly it's my body and I'll give parts of it to whomever I want to.

I mean insensitive towards your family who might have to see basically a skeleton (no internal organs, no eyes, maybe skin taken off) of you as you lie in your coffin, rather than your full body. If you fell under a bus or something you'd be rushed to hospital, and if you died, you'd be cut open, straight away. No goodbyes from your family (pointless as it is when you're dead, it would still hold important emotional value for them). That would be insensitive.
I'm a registered organ donor... but i refuse to donate my corneas! Something about that just creeps me out!

Lou
xxx
generalebriety
That was another of my worries... your heart can stop for around 4 minutes before you start to die. Within those 4 minutes they will have you on an operating table with your back open removing your kidneys, because if they don't, your kidneys start to 'die' too, and become useless. If, during those 4 minutes, your heart starts again, you're still alive... as long as your kidneys haven't already been removed. :smile:

I mean insensitive towards your family who might have to see basically a skeleton (no internal organs, no eyes, maybe skin taken off) of you as you lie in your coffin, rather than your full body. If you fell under a bus or something you'd be rushed to hospital, and if you died, you'd be cut open, straight away. No goodbyes from your family (pointless as it is when you're dead, it would still hold important emotional value for them). That would be insensitive.

If you got hit by a bus, then I doubt your organs would be of any use if as they would probably be damaged.

Latest

Trending

Trending