The Student Room Group

Sainsbury's thread Mk IV

Scroll to see replies

On the tills, what do you do when someone wants to pay by card and cash? Only started two days ago, not so sure how it works. Thanks
Original post by starlight4711
On the tills, what do you do when someone wants to pay by card and cash? Only started two days ago, not so sure how it works. Thanks

You first enter the cash amount they're paying by pressing 'enter custom amount' on the till (under the cash menu). Then press EFT and it will charge them the remaining amount :smile:
There are other ways of doing it (card first) but I find this way simpler.
Original post by The_Toaster
You first enter the cash amount they're paying by pressing 'enter custom amount' on the till (under the cash menu). Then press EFT and it will charge them the remaining amount :smile:
There are other ways of doing it (card first) but I find this way simpler.

OP: if they want to do a certain amount on their card first and pay the rest in cash, you type in the amount in pennies and press EFT. So if they wanted to pay £20 it would be 2000 then EFT. Then take the cash for the remaining amount as usual.

To split between more the one card you do the same thing. The first amount in pence, then EFT, then the second amount.
Original post by Elelea
OP: if they want to do a certain amount on their card first and pay the rest in cash, you type in the amount in pennies and press EFT. So if they wanted to pay £20 it would be 2000 then EFT. Then take the cash for the remaining amount as usual.

To split between more the one card you do the same thing. The first amount in pence, then EFT, then the second amount.

Lol... you've worded that so much better than I did :tongue:
Original post by stimpy27
What are the headsets for on checkouts? Are all stores getting them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

May just be my store manager wanting to implement them, but instead of the phone system which shouts out which till to go to, you have to wear a headset, which does the same thing but it obviously comes through to your ear.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
How many complaints can you get for online shopping? Apparently I got a complaint on the 8th June by a customer saying the eggs were broken I still do not know how she said there is a month waiting or something till 8 July don't know what she means
Hi, I have an interview on the 2nd of July for a Customer Service Assistant role at my local Sainsburys.
I wanted to ask for some advice on the interview process, induction process and till training? Also I have a holiday booked in September, should I ask about that during my interview?

Also I wanted to ask how Sainsburys actually pays their employees by that I mean do you get paid the money straight into your account or do you get a cheque every month which you deposit (only asking as Debenhams gave a cheque every month which I had to deposit in the bank all the time which was a bit annoying).

Thank you
Original post by FashionMinion
Hi, I have an interview on the 2nd of July for a Customer Service Assistant role at my local Sainsburys.
I wanted to ask for some advice on the interview process, induction process and till training? Also I have a holiday booked in September, should I ask about that during my interview?

Also I wanted to ask how Sainsburys actually pays their employees by that I mean do you get paid the money straight into your account or do you get a cheque every month which you deposit (only asking as Debenhams gave a cheque every month which I had to deposit in the bank all the time which was a bit annoying).

Thank you

They should ask about holidays in the interview so best to mention then. I'd give advice on the interview but it would depend which style of interview the store you applied to decide to use. For the old style interview there is an excellent resource on TSR which tells you nearly everything about it http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15859-recruitment-at-sainsburys . Most important thing is customer service in interview, as long as you get that across you should be fine. Not sure about the new one. Induction is boring but you get paid. Till training isn't that bad either, there will always be a supervisor on the back even after your trained so it's not an issue if you forget how to do something - you learn as you go really. As for pay, they pay it straight into your account.
Original post by k4l397
They should ask about holidays in the interview so best to mention then. I'd give advice on the interview but it would depend which style of interview the store you applied to decide to use. For the old style interview there is an excellent resource on TSR which tells
you nearly everything about it http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15859-recruitment-at-sainsburys . Most important thing is customer service in interview, as long as you get that across you should be fine. Not sure about the new one. Induction is boring but you get paid. Till training isn't that bad either, there will always be a supervisor on the back even after your trained so it's not an issue if you forget how to do something - you learn as you go really. As for pay, they pay it straight into your account.

Thank you for that!
Quick question, what exactly does a General Assistant do? Just incase they ask in the interview, all i can think of as an answer so far is: Stock shelves, helping customers, helping other employees, keep the store tidy etc

do they work on the tills?
Original post by hamster100
Quick question, what exactly does a General Assistant do? Just incase they ask in the interview, all i can think of as an answer so far is: Stock shelves, helping customers, helping other employees, keep the store tidy etc

do they work on the tills?

General Assistant as far as I'm aware could be anything from bakery to counters to stocking shelves (I think at least). It can involve tills if the tills are busy and they need help from other areas of the store, but that would come under helping other employees. Your description sounds okay tbh if they did ask that (can't remember if they do).

This is how the jobs website describes it:
We’re renowned for our high standards of service and you’ll play a key role in upholding these as one of our general assistants. In short, you’ll turn your hand to anything to do with the smooth running of the store. This could involve everything from assisting customers with their enquiries and maintaining an uncluttered environment to replenishing stock and supporting colleagues. So if you’re a good communicator who takes pride in delivering exceptional customer service and has a team-oriented approach to working, we’d like to hear from you.
Original post by k4l397
General Assistant as far as I'm aware could be anything from bakery to counters to stocking shelves (I think at least). It can involve tills if the tills are busy and they need help from other areas of the store, but that would come under helping other employees. Your description sounds okay tbh if they did ask that (can't remember if they do).

This is how the jobs website describes it:

Thanks, i saw that quote on the job website was just wondering since it didnt mention anything about tills, i take it you learn how to use the tills in the induction then.

Hopefully this interview goes well tomorrow :P
Original post by hamster100
Thanks, i saw that quote on the job website was just wondering since it didnt mention anything about tills, i take it you learn how to use the tills in the induction then.

Hopefully this interview goes well tomorrow :P

Yeah you either get trained in the induction or you'll need to ask a checkout manager to be trained. You obviously won't get called on the tills to help if you haven't been trained yet, but it's good to ask about getting trained if they don't train you. Gives more overtime opportunities if you ever wanted some extra money.
I've applied for a job at Sainsbury's (part time) and I have an interview BUT I am going to uni this year at the end of September... will I get the job and be able to transfer? Is it better that I tell them upfront or do you think they will expect that I will want the job for 3 months since I'm of uni age? :P
Original post by WishIHadRevised
I've applied for a job at Sainsbury's (part time) and I have an interview BUT I am going to uni this year at the end of September... will I get the job and be able to transfer? Is it better that I tell them upfront or do you think they will expect that I will want the job for 3 months since I'm of uni age? :P

Is it temporary? I wouldn't mention it if it's not - might be hard to get a transfer too as you'll still be in your trial period in September if you get it.
Original post by k4l397
Is it temporary? I wouldn't mention it if it's not - might be hard to get a transfer too as you'll still be in your trial period in September if you get it.

Nope I think it was just a part time position. Obviously I don't want to lie to them but I really want the job as well! Do you think I just shouldn't mention it unless they ask me outright?
Original post by WishIHadRevised
Nope I think it was just a part time position. Obviously I don't want to lie to them but I really want the job as well! Do you think I just shouldn't mention it unless they ask me outright?

Personally I'd say that is the safe bet - don't lie but if they don't ask, don't tell them.
Reply 3997
I've got an interview next Tuesday for a Store Lead/team leader in a Local. Does anyone have any information/advice. I'm slightly concerned about my limited experience. What age people normally fill the role? Any information about the role? Thanks
In regards to the colleague discount card, is this supposed to be given to us or are we to actively seek it out? I've been at sainsburys for over 6 months so figured that I'm entitled to it.
Original post by Magg969
In regards to the colleague discount card, is this supposed to be given to us or are we to actively seek it out? I've been at sainsburys for over 6 months so figured that I'm entitled to it.

Go and see HR they should have it, not all stores are on the ball with giving them out. At my old store they used to put a new notice up each month with the names of people who needed to collect theirs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending