The Student Room Group

Suddenly got a fat belly after always being really skinny?

I'm a 20 year old guy, about 6 foot 3 tall, and I have always been very skinny. I always ate a reasonable amount, but never gained hardly any fat or weight.

I'm in the 2nd year of uni, and eat a lot there. On an average week I cook for myself 4 days (quite large portions), get fish & chips from the chippy one day, get a Dominoes pizza one day, and have a pub roast beef after church on a Sunday.

I go to the gym 2 to 3 times a week both at uni and at home, and at home I frequently go on long country walks. But currently at home for Easter, I am increasingly horrified at the big belly I seem to be acquiring.

What should I do?!

Scroll to see replies

Water Fast.
Original post by stephanieuwa
Water Fast.

? and that would do what exactly?

OP - you need to cut back what you're eating.. you're in a calorific surplus... if you want to lose weight you need to cut the calories.

Either that or exercise more
Reply 3
Original post by Super Cicero
I'm a 20 year old guy, about 6 foot 3 tall, and I have always been very skinny. I always ate a reasonable amount, but never gained hardly any fat or weight.

I'm in the 2nd year of uni, and eat a lot there. On an average week I cook for myself 4 days (quite large portions), get fish & chips from the chippy one day, get a Dominoes pizza one day, and have a pub roast beef after church on a Sunday.

I go to the gym 2 to 3 times a week both at uni and at home, and at home I frequently go on long country walks. But currently at home for Easter, I am increasingly horrified at the big belly I seem to be acquiring.

What should I do?!

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
Original post by Super Cicero

What should I do?!

Cut these out to start with...
I'm not an expert here, but it's possible that your metabolism rate is just starting to slow down a little after you've come out the other end of puberty. Eat less or exercise more?
Original post by Angry cucumber
? and that would do what exactly?

A water fast helps you lose weight quickly whilst also cleansing your body of toxins. That's what. Exactly.
Original post by StretfordEnd
I'm not an expert here, but it's possible that your metabolism rate is just starting to slow down a little after you've come out the other end of puberty. Eat less or exercise more?

Metabolism doesn't go BOOM STOPPPP. He's 20, he's in and around max BMR

It's got more to do with decreasing exercise and eating too much

A water fast helps you lose weight quickly whilst also cleansing your body of toxins. That's what. Exactly.

Fast of water... dehydrate? Sounds legit
Not exactly a solution to fat gain is it?

Also your kidneys and liver are doing just fine at removing toxins. Detox is utter crap.
(edited 10 years ago)

Fast of water... dehydrate? Sounds legit
Not exactly a solution to fat gain is it?

Also your kidneys and liver are doing just fine at removing toxins. Detox is utter crap.

How would you dehydrate if you're drinking water???

Erm. I'll have you know that sometimes our diet contains harmful toxins. And that can manifest in the form of acne. The fast can remove spots, it can cleanse the body, and it can deffo help you lose weight.

I'm not even fat. I did the fast as a part of a detox and it was so helpful. I felt clean. Like my insides felt good. My skin glowed. It was refreshing and it helped me beat my addiction to food ( I wasn't fat or anything I just liked fast food).

Detox in your opinion is crap. I'm suggesting an alternative route to the OP.

This is why we should still have neg rep.
Original post by flown_muse
This is why we should still have neg rep.

I'm feeling very lucky right now..

Erm. I'll have you know that sometimes our diet contains harmful toxins. And that can manifest in the form of acne. The fast can remove spots, it can cleanse the body, and it can deffo help you lose weight.

I'm not even fat. I did the fast as a part of a detox and it was so helpful. I felt clean. Like my insides felt good. My skin glowed. It was refreshing and it helped me beat my addiction to food ( I wasn't fat or anything I just liked fast food).

I misunderstood what a water fast was.. I thought it meant to fast from water. Actually it's just to drink water... arguably even more stupid... considering a quick google search says that common side effects include nausea, vomiting, headaches, dizzyness and fainting... sounds mega healthy :yy:

I bet you felt clean, PMA has a lot of benefits.

There's no scientific evidence that detox works... not one legitimate scientific study proving it. It's a fitness fad to sell bull**** to the body conscious. Eating like an adult will have just as good an effect on your skin if not more so.
I misunderstood what a water fast was.. I thought it meant to fast from water. Actually it's just to drink water... arguably even more stupid... considering a quick google search says that common side effects include nausea, vomiting, headaches, dizzyness and fainting... sounds mega healthy :yy:

I bet you felt clean, PMA has a lot of benefits.

There's no scientific evidence that detox works... not one legitimate scientific study proving it. It's a fitness fad to sell bull**** to the body conscious. Eating like an adult will have just as good an effect on your skin if not more so.

lol well glad we cleared that up.

I didn't experience any negative side effects. But maybe it's because I did a partial fast, so I ate, but only in a given time period.

I agree with you that eating properly will also have a positive result. I was just sharing an option from my experience; I don't wanna call it a quick-fix but it kinda is.
lol well glad we cleared that up.

I didn't experience any negative side effects. But maybe it's because I did a partial fast, so I ate, but only in a given time period.

I agree with you that eating properly will also have a positive result. I was just sharing an option from my experience; I don't wanna call it a quick-fix but it kinda is.

It's a quick fix that makes you lose weight for x number of days. Then you return to your old bad habits and hence you've made zero progress in any goal of getting healthy. Improving your health is a lifestyle change inc eating habits. Water fasting is a fad, I'm sorry if it offends you, but it is.
I am saying cut down on the salty food (Yes I am looking at the fish and chips and pizza you listed) as it causes bloating due to water retention so basically your stomach inflates a little and makes you look a bit bigger than you are. More importantly eat less it's possible that your metabolism slowed down after puberty but you still eat the same amount as before, not realising this change. Also, keep exercising as this will keep your metabolism as it is or raise it a little
It's a quick fix that makes you lose weight for x number of days. Then you return to your old bad habits and hence you've made zero progress in any goal of getting healthy. Improving your health is a lifestyle change inc eating habits. Water fasting is a fad, I'm sorry if it offends you, but it is.

It doesn't offend me because it's how you change after the fast that actually affects how effective the fast is. I changed my eating habits, so I'm healthy. I was just suggesting to the OP, a way for him to almost have a fresh slate. Body's clean, now he can re-evaluate how to maintain this.
Reply 16

The O.P. needs to incorporate enough physical activity to offset his love of food without suffering nutritional deficiency, muscular atrophy and a declining metabolism (which are what 'fasting' entails), or else refine his existing diet to the point where he can satisfy such basic requirements without over-eating. I personally relish being able to consume an entire 12" Domino's 'Mighty Meaty' in one sitting when the mood takes, so will invariably choose the former option; others, being of a more sedentary disposition, may well favour the latter. Either way, the only alternative is an eating disorder.

However, whilst no-one disputes that adequate hydration and nutritional sufficiency both yield appreciable benefits, the notion of 'detoxing' is certainly pseudoscience. Would that it were possible to report someone for propagating misinformation; alas, we'll just have to hope that you can cease clinging to ridiculous fads in lieu of proper research.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Profesh
The O.P. needs to incorporate enough physical activity to offset his love of food without suffering nutritional deficiency, muscular atrophy and a declining metabolism (which are what 'fasting' entails), or else refine his existing diet to the point where he can satisfy those basic nutritional requirements without over-eating. I personally relish being able to consume an entire 12" Domino's 'Mighty Meaty' in one sitting, so will invariably choose the former option; others, being of a more sedentary disposition, may well favour the latter. Either way, the only alternative is an eating disorder.

However, whilst no-one disputes that adequate hydration and nutritional sufficiency both yield appreciable benefits, the notion of 'detoxing' is certainly pseudoscience. Would that it were possible to report someone for propagating misinformation; alas, we'll just have to hope that you can cease clinging to ridiculous fads in lieu of proper research.

lool, I didn't actually say detox. The other poster who quoted me mentioned it, that's the only reason why I said it. I mentioned cleansing from my own experience, as that was my research. I wouldn't suggest doing something unless I had done it myself. That's it. My opinion.
lool, I didn't actually say detox. The other poster who quoted me mentioned it, that's the only reason why I said it. I mentioned cleansing from my own experience, as that was my research. I wouldn't suggest doing something unless I had done it myself. That's it. My opinion.

You did actually

Cleansing of toxins = detox, no?

Original post by Profesh
The O.P. needs to incorporate enough physical activity to offset his love of food without suffering nutritional deficiency, muscular atrophy and a declining metabolism (which are what 'fasting' entails), or else refine his existing diet to the point where he can satisfy those basic nutritional requirements without over-eating. I personally relish being able to consume an entire 12" Domino's 'Mighty Meaty' in one sitting when the mood takes, so will invariably choose the former option; others, being of a more sedentary disposition, may well favour the latter. Either way, the only alternative is an eating disorder.

This. Cheers for the back up
Reply 19

I did the fast as a part of a detox and it was so helpful. I felt clean. Like my insides felt good. My skin glowed.

Half-baked, anecdotal reasoning interspersed with buzzwords and conjecture do not sound advice make.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest