The Student Room Group

Going to Computer Science (programming) university from history class

Hi guys! Finally I found a cool site about university questions etc...

I am really confused in my current situation. I am a 15 year old guy and I am studying in the best high school in our city. I had really good notes in primary school, so I could choose any class I wanted. Before I continue my story I have to say that I started learning programming at home for 3 years. So now I am in 9th grade in a history class (the main subjects are history and languages) and I am "terrified" about my future, 'cause I want to go to a computer science university.
The problem is that I don't know if I could apply at a "higher level" university, like Cambridge without the preferred graduation.

So what do you think? I have my programming experience, but not my necessary papers.

Scroll to see replies

Most, if not all, of the top UK universities for Computer Science say Maths is a prerequisite and Computing and Physics are beneficial but not needed. Are you studying in America now?
Reply 2
No, I am studying in Romania. (not the most preferred country, if you know what I mean)
Reply 3
Btw I am good in Math too, but I am not studying it (only minimally, in beginner level).
They do judge you as an individual, particularly Cambridge. However, you would need some solid proof of your skill, and it's quite unusual to get in somewhere like that without the required subjects (simply because they can pick and choose).

Do you have any proof of your programming skill? I'm not quite sure how 9th grade translates to the UK, but it sounds like you have plenty of time if you are 15 - could you teach yourself maths A-level or equivalent alongside your other subjects?
Original post by doboka98
No, I am studying in Romania. (not the most preferred country, if you know what I mean)

Romania is in the EU so it should be no harder for you to get into a UK university than anyone else in the EU. I don't know how your education system works exactly, do you study any maths at all now?
Reply 6
I heard about it that my plan is possible if I will create some proof. I am working on it, for example making games, and what can I say? I LOVE IT! I have so much ambition and I think I will be able to release a bigger project.
Btw I know I have a lot of time to learn maths, but how can I prove it that I learned it?

I am thinking about it that I will pass through to the math-info class, but I really love my class and I do not want to leave it. So that's it.
Btw I am good in Math too, but I am not studying it (only minimally, in beginner level).

The top unis want maths and, ideally further maths- although if your school doesn't offer it they won't penalise you. But to get into cambridge/UCL or whatever then you need maths :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I am studying the beginner level math 2 times a week. That math is only logic improver, so easy.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by somegirlcalledea
The top unis want maths and, ideally further maths- although if your school doesn't offer it they won't penalise you. But to get into cambridge/UCL or whatever then you need maths :smile:

Yes. I was expecting that. But how will they check my maths knowledge? :biggrin:
Yes. I was expecting that. But how will they check my maths knowledge? :biggrin:

They will look at what qualifications in maths you have (whatever the romanian equivalent to GCSEs and A-Levels are). Plus they will give you a maths test- most likely MAT or STEM which will be part of your offer. And in the interview (if you have one) they can ask you maths related questions to see how you mind works. Thats what Ive heard anyway :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Okay. Thank you for the answer. I was wondering if I publish an amazing project, are these necessary? So if they like my project am I able to win an applying to that uni instantly? :biggrin:
Okay. Thank you for the answer. I was wondering if I publish an amazing project, are these necessary? So if they like my project am I able to win an applying to that uni instantly? :biggrin:

If you want to go for cambridge no but a lot of other unis may like that and give you an offer :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
So if I want to go for Cambridge I am supposed to learn high-level maths. Am I right?

Btw I have the opportunity to pass through to a maths - informatics class. Do you highly recommend it? :/
So if I want to go for Cambridge I am supposed to learn high-level maths. Am I right?

Btw I have the opportunity to pass through to a maths - informatics class. Do you highly recommend it? :/

From everything I know about cambridge computer science (and I want to go there) you HAVE to do high level maths. So yes high level maths is important. And yes the informatics maths class is a good idea :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
The only problem is that I love my class and I do not want to leave it. But I will do a decision, my future is more important.
The only problem is that I love my class and I do not want to leave it. But I will do a decision, my future is more important.

Good luck with whatever you want to do. I hope you get into cambridge :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
I hope you too. Thanks for the answers.

I have one more question. If I teach myself to A-Maths, is it possible to get into Camb? I mean is it necessary to come from a class where it is teached?
Original post by somegirlcalledea
They will look at what qualifications in maths you have (whatever the romanian equivalent to GCSEs and A-Levels are). Plus they will give you a maths test- most likely MAT or STEM which will be part of your offer. And in the interview (if you have one) they can ask you maths related questions to see how you mind works. Thats what Ive heard anyway :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you mean STEP, haha. MAT is only used for Oxford and it's used to form a decision about the application outcome and doesn't form part of the offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yl95
I think you mean STEP, haha. MAT is only used for Oxford and it's used to form a decision about the application outcome and doesn't form part of the offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh okay thanks :smile: I initially wanted to go to cambridge where STEP was part of the offer.. When I decided oxford was better for me I assumed MAT was part of the offer too. I will bear that in mind in the future :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending