The Student Room Group

severe abdominal pain on right side

Since about Tuesday (might be Monday) I've had a severe pain on the right side of my abdomen. When I say severe I meam about a 9 on the pain scale.

I also feel very cold and shivery. I'm currently in bed with 2 duvets and the heating on and am still cold, whereas usually I don't have the heating on even in winter and only have one duvet.

Sometimes I have a headache but that comes and goes. If I move my head it feels like my brain hits my skull.

I'm not eating much. I keep a food diary so know I've always had under 1000 cals each day, although I had fruit juice to try to increase it (already included in the 1000). Today I've given up trying to force myself to eat and have only had a small bar of chocolate.

Sometimes I'm sick. This seems to come on in the evening so isn't related to after meal times.

Usually I'd go to the doctors by now, but it's the bank holiday weekend. I couldn't go earlier because of work (can't afford to take time off). To me it doesn't sound serious enough for A+E but I can't cope with it til Tuesday. Help.
I suggest you get it checked out it may be onset of an appendicitis

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous

Usually I'd go to the doctors by now, but it's the bank holiday weekend. I couldn't go earlier because of work (can't afford to take time off). To me it doesn't sound serious enough for A+E but I can't cope with it til Tuesday. Help.

The old A&E not A&E false dichotomy.

Just ring 111!!!!!!!! You are quite right that AE is not the right place, but the out of hours GP definitely is.
Reply 3
(can't afford to take time off)

This bit really annoys me. Isn't your health more important to you than your work?!
Rather be safe than sorry, get some medical attention, your health is more important than anything else atm.
Reply 5
Original post by meenu89
This bit really annoys me. Isn't your health more important to you than your work?!

Yeah, coz my health will benefit so much if I can't afford to pay my bills :-)
Reply 6
Yeah, coz my health will benefit so much if I can't afford to pay my bills :-)

Cant pay your bills if you're dead :wink:
Reply 7
Original post by Nell90
Cant pay your bills if you're dead :wink:

But then I'd be dead and wouldn't have to worry about them :rolleyes:

You're all just viewing the world in a naive teenage way. It's not like that. Why do you think the Boots adverts are aimed at women who need to keep going through illness? It's because for loads of people, that's actually the reality. You ll live in your own idealistic bubble, because you don't have adult lives and responsibilities yet. When you do, you'll have a lot of growing up to do. It's either that, or you'll have to tell your kids that they can't eat that week because mummy had a tummy ache.
I'd ring 111 because like someone else said it might be the beginning of appendicitis.
The only other thing that popped into my head was a kidney infection, but that would probably be in your back more than your abdo, it was just the fever and shivering that stood out.

Don't trust us on the TSR to diagnose you, ring 111 to see what they think :wink:

Hope you feel a bit better soon :smile:
Reply 9
It could be appendicitis... especially given it's on the right side given all your other symptoms, it really does sound like it. In which case, given it has been a while, and if it ruptures it's potentially fatal, you should seriously go to A&E (I'm sure 111 will tell you to do the same). I don't know what you're trying to prove about bills, it's a ridiculous argument; it's Easter Sunday anyway.
Reply 10
phone your duty doctor and find out where you need to go to see them. Are you male of female, if female could you be pregnant and how does your abdomen feel if you prod it? Does anything make the pain feel better? Lots of things it could be and peritonitis is one possibility so you really need to see a doctor.
Reply 11
there could be several serious things wrong with you. i hope you take the advice given above for the kids' sakes
Reply 12
But then I'd be dead and wouldn't have to worry about them :rolleyes:

You're all just viewing the world in a naive teenage way. It's not like that. Why do you think the Boots adverts are aimed at women who need to keep going through illness? It's because for loads of people, that's actually the reality. You ll live in your own idealistic bubble, because you don't have adult lives and responsibilities yet. When you do, you'll have a lot of growing up to do. It's either that, or you'll have to tell your kids that they can't eat that week because mummy had a tummy ache.

Ring 111, see the out of hours GP. Either you work 24:7 or you have some hours available in the day to see the out of hours GP.

Either this isn't something serious in which case quit moaning, or it is serious and I'd rather have two days off work for an lap appendicectomy than a month off after a right hemicolectomy and a brief stint in ITU because of my peritonitis.

3rd option - you spend a few hours at the out of hours gp today or tomorrow - they do a urine dip and bHCG, maybe a couple of blood tests and xrays, examine you and you don't a) risk dying b) miss any excess time off work.

You're just viewing the world in a blinkered way, lacking any foresight to the consequences of your actions or pack thereof, or you're moaning unnecessarily.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
hope you saw a doctor and are recovered now
Reply 14
Could be a cramp in your intestines, which could be blocked or gassed, which is causing you to feel sick as your body needs to release something but its unlikely if its near your abdomen, because it wont come back up then. Drink lots of water even if you don't feel like and you feel like you full or lost your appetite, as it will help clear it.

Quick Reply

Latest