The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The Official Toastie Thread

Right, I'm fed up with trawling through threads and finding the inevitable toastie discussion in the middle, so I say, let us collate these ideas and have it in its own thread (hoorah!).

So, now bow your heads in silent worship for the great toastie.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN! :biggrin:

My opinion:

Ok, Castle toasties hit the spot for me. Being on the hill myself, and inevitably being the last stop on the bar crawl before hitting studio with a luuurvely smenergy sloshing around inside of me, it is in prime place for my ham/chilli/cheese needs. costs you a quid, they're quick at it, there are sofas, pool table and TV in the same room (and chocolatey goodness vending machine), and USUALLY play good music. All you need for some yummy warmth in your tummy.

Trevs toasties are good - they do garlic butter, which is yummy, plus interesting combinations of crusts and suchlike. They cost awkward monies though, such as £1.25 or things like that (can't quite remember off the top of me head), so are slightly more expensive and irritating coin combinations (just like the pool table. think it was 30p a game. what a silly cost, no one has 30p on them - 20, yes. 50 yes. 30? no. its just not correct coinage! :biggrin: however, not many people know it exists, as when it shuts it hides behind what seems to be a wall. how exciting! secret toastie shop! :biggrin:

Mary's toasties I have had bad luck with. I seem to be notorious there now, with my constant visits to the bar, and inevitable announcement procaiming my adoration for it (not even sarcastic, i really do love it! :smile:, met usually by choruses of whyyyyy?!?! :p: ) i have only had one toastie, and that was burnt. badly. kind of a burnt toast flavoured toastie. mmmm... :p: think they cost about a quid too, and have heard great things about the mars bar toastie, but every other time ive been its either been closed or they refuse to serve me. :frown: "as a joke", end quote. not funny. not every time. grrr... maybe its cos i always go up and down the stairs on the outside of the banister. i just obviously think im spiderman :biggrin:

oh and Collingwood coffee shop does do toasted paninies, which are fantastic value at about £1.50 (you're paying 3-4 quid for the same thing in shops in town), but the real challenge is getting there when its open. Which is usually only when Ive organised some kind of musical event (like open mic) or something. but hey :biggrin:

*opens the floor for discussion*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Mary's toasties are awful, mildert doesnt seem to have much selection, but never had one. Aidans is the place for my uber ham, perpprami, pineapple and pepper sometime with cheese depending if i could afford it though trying to real off that list when drunk is a nightmare
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
I've lived a poor uneventful life and have only tried Trevs toasties. They have been very much to my liking though.
Reply 3
MY toasties are the best. Cheese and tomato....mmmm.
The best toasties are ham, cheese, corned beef and tomato. Everybody knows this.
Reply 5
Corned beef?!?!?! GET OUT NOW.

Personally I think it should be ham and cheese OR cheese and tomato. Not all combined. I once thought combining chicken with cheese and tomato would be a good idea, but I was wrong.
Reply 6
I happen to be eating corned beef sandwich right now. yummy :smile:

I agree though, combination of ham cheese and tomato is a bit dodgy. and shame on you christo! must eat more toasties! :biggrin:
Reply 7
CHEESE and Ham and Ketchup.

Thank you, and goodnight.
Reply 8
I have experienced a Mary's mars bar toastie, and it was gooooood :biggrin: :suith:
Reply 9
and ketchup? yuck. doesnt float my boat really. but yes, everyone raves about the mars bar toastie. sounds so strange, but yeh :smile:
Reply 10
I never for one moment thought it would be weird, and it wasn't. It was awesome. I also had a small plastic cup of blue lemonade from the bar which cost me 25p. Good times :biggrin:
Reply 11
Cheese and tuna toastie = amazing! :biggrin: :love:
However, I have never had a toastie at any Durham college......yet!
Reply 12
*shocked* :eek:
shame on you!
Reply 13
Sorry.....
Reply 14
Mildert are win (because they put lots of peppers on and one guy puts the Mildert crest onto them)
Reply 15
oh my god!I'll apply this year and I have been browsing for the past couple of months at this forum to find out more about life in Durham.But this thread is really incredible guys :biggrin: Whole forum dedicated to eating...
Conclusion: Durham must be one of the best places to study in whole Europe:rolleyes: - I love toasties :redface:
Are these toasties a vital part of student life in Durham?
I've never had a toastie in Durham in my life.
OK.I hate toasties but everyone on here seems to rave on about them!
Reply 19
I don't really like toasties.

Latest