The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You need a lot of common sense to be intelligence, as well as knowledge.
numero sept
Wrong. Most people do!!

In your experience, maybe. In my experience, not at all. It's people perceived as "nerdy" rather than intelligent that get picked on, at least where I was at school. I acheived the best set of GCSE results in my school, and I was generally top of most classes I was in, but I was actually friendly (to my shame now) with the people who often picked on those seen as nerds. I don't think any of the people I'd call genuinely intelligent at my school were picked on. So sheer academic ability doesn't get you picked on at all.
Reply 22
PoisonDonna
You need a lot of common sense to be intelligence, as well as knowledge.

sure but there's that the whole thing where people say stuff like, "she's so intelligent, she hasn't got any commen sense or doesn't understand simple stuff." you know that kinda thing. and u hear stuff like doctors have no commen sense either etc
PoisonDonna
You need a lot of common sense to be intelligent

Maybe I need to reassess my mental capabilities, then.

Common sense is actually a barrier to the intelligent mind. It consists only of received wisdom designed to be accepted without any justification - "It's common sense, isn't it?" is the best you'll get by way of an explanation - and the last thing that characterises intelligence is blind acceptance of what we are told. It's well established that many of the greatest minds are less than average when it comes to dealing with everyday, common sense issues; the eccentric professor is a good example of this.
Chumbaniya
In your experience, maybe. In my experience, not at all. It's people perceived as "nerdy" rather than intelligent that get picked on, at least where I was at school. I acheived the best set of GCSE results in my school, and I was generally top of most classes I was in, but I was actually friendly (to my shame now) with the people who often picked on those seen as nerds. I don't think any of the people I'd call genuinely intelligent at my school were picked on. So sheer academic ability doesn't get you picked on at all.

Yeh at my school it was like that. Maybe before sixth form it was the intelligent people that got picked on a bit more than anyone else. But by the time youre doing a-levels people are mature enough to stand up for themselves (and mature enough not to pick on people i guess aswell.)

There were a few people who were clever but lacked confidence and social skills but the kinda 'high-fliers' who were top of the class, applying for law and medicine etc and who I know are going to be successful in the world werent nerdy at all.

I dunno what the lack of common sense and intelligents link is. Theres that mental condition (cant remember the name right now) where people are amazingly talented at maths but have problems with social skills and suffer from obsessive compulsive disorders. Maybe that suggests that the part of the brain responsible for logic is a completely seperate part of the brain to the bit that deals with common sense, social skills and stuff. In people who are 'nerdy' the common sense part of the brain is underactive so the logic part compensates and is more active perhaps.

Has anyone read 'the curious incident of the dog in the night-time - Mark Haddon'?

(EDIT:Its called Asperger's Syndrome)
EffingKrazy
sure but there's that the whole thing where people say stuff like, "she's so intelligent, she hasn't got any commen sense or doesn't understand simple stuff." you know that kinda thing. and u hear stuff like doctors have no commen sense either etc

One of my teachers is like that. She really knows her subject well but try explaining something simple to her and she won't understand. Sometimes I just want to scream 'why don't you understand what we're asking you!!'
supertramp
I've always thought a quick wit is intelligent. I don't think people who know loads of stuff are necessarily that intelligent - just highly educated. That's not to say those people aren't intelligent, just that it is not a given.

I'd say class clown type people are usually intelligent because to make someone laugh requires thinking of something that they aren't already thinking for themselves - or saying it before they do think of it.

I agree.

Latest

Trending

Trending