The Student Room Group

What makes a person intelligent?

What makes a person intelligent? When I was younger, I used to think it was the person who was the most knowledgable. Do you think the person who is the most knowledgable is the most intelligent? Do you think you have to be sensetive in order to be intelligent? If there were a crieteria to be intelligent and if so what do you think it is or what are the different things people have to have to be intelligent? Also in order to have wit and be funny do you have to be intelligent and if so does that make classclowns intelligent?? Discuss! What makes a person intelligent? discuss!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've always thought a quick wit is intelligent. I don't think people who know loads of stuff are necessarily that intelligent - just highly educated. That's not to say those people aren't intelligent, just that it is not a given.

I'd say class clown type people are usually intelligent because to make someone laugh requires thinking of something that they aren't already thinking for themselves - or saying it before they do think of it.
supertramp
I've always thought a quick wit is intelligent. I don't think people who know loads of stuff are necessarily that intelligent - just highly educated. That's not to say those people aren't intelligent, just that it is not a given.

I'd say class clown type people are usually intelligent because to make someone laugh requires thinking of something that they aren't already thinking for themselves - or saying it before they do think of it.

You're so sweet.
This is like a question that doesnt really have an answer isnt it? Philosophers and psychologists have been arguing about it for decades. I think theres different types of intelligents: emotional intelligents, academic intelligents, comedic intelligents etc
Reply 4
I don't know if the class clown is neccessarily intelligent (it depends why they're the class clown) but it seems that most successful comedians are extremely intelligent and often very well educated. Being a comedian requires a lot of brain power.
Intelligence means lack and is relative. Why do you think "intelligent" people get shunned and beaten up at school?

And knowledge should have application in one's daily life. Knowledge for knowledges sake makes no sense.
Reply 6
Take an IQ test, and if you get over 120, i'd say you are intelligent.
Good brain-meats.
Reply 8
supertramp

*blushes*
i think intelligence is more about a capacity to learn, than actual knowledge. its the way your mind works, not what you know, which is why the lazy class clown who does no work might be considered intelligent but not academic. Interesting!
Reply 10
Protruding _ahead
Take an IQ test, and if you get over 120, i'd say you are intelligent.

im always impressed by hig iqs but saying that i did in 4 years my verbel iq went down 13 points/numbers, for instance, overal my iq was higher when i was 9 compared to when i was last tested at 18 and has been going every couple of years when ive been testes. in fact my spelling and reading was even years in front of my age when i was tested at 9 but when tested at 13 it was a year below what was expected etc and now been labelled as dyslexic. i dont know about other people but for me, im less focused since ive got older when doing these tests, i guess when one is younger you want to prove something more to adults and teachers but when you get older you think less about impressing them or you care less about iq tests. lots of the questions they ask are on subjects which you may have stopped learning before gcse and the questions require lots of paintence when spotting the difference or whatever,k nerves can come on, you can get spaced out, n feel like u dont care, u can be too creative for an answer and therefore get it wrong, or not give a long enough answer to questions because of whatever reason. u get me.
IQ is an awful test of intelligents. Infact its not a test of intelligents, its a test of logic and problem solving (which i think is a different thing)

I know people who are amazing artists and musicians, they'd do **** on an IQ test but they're definately not stupid
good cognitions :rolleyes:
I heard intelligence was the ability to gain knowledge and, more importantly, put that knowledge to use.
I think that, as we usually use it, intelligence means to remember, organize and apply information effectively. Booksmarts, as it were: It's boring and bland by itself, given how highly prized 'intelligence' is to many.

How about intelligence in the arts? How about social intelligence? How about emotional intelligence? I'd would very much like be able to express a soulful truth in a symphony or a painting; to warmly share loves and friendships; to effortlessly glide between conflicting emotions. Possessing the booksmart sense of intelligence makes me a very fast computer. The gift of the other facets of intelligence gives me my humanity.

And how about wisdom? I think that means knowing what matters. We often trick ourselves into desiring something - money, status, beautiful women...but it's not going to give us what we really want. Wisdom is seeing the truth about yourself, and everything. It's the unerring guide to life - we would do well to listen closely, rather than heed louder, crasser voices.

That's why they say children are wise. They aren't burdened with prejudice. They see things simply for what they are.
Reply 15
A Levels.

:biggrin:
numero sept
Intelligence means lack and is relative. Why do you think "intelligent" people get shunned and beaten up at school?

And knowledge should have application in one's daily life. Knowledge for knowledges sake makes no sense.

That is so not true! nthing but a fake sterotype. Most clever people do not get beaten up or bullied, yes some smart people do, likewise so do some dumb people.

I think their is diffrent types of intelgince, its really obviously really. There are many diffrent tasks which logic will tell you, you need ot be intelegent to be bale to do this, yet there are many people that may be abale ot do one but not the other.

Shakespear and Newton where both clever in their own right, but tell Newton to go and right plays and tell Shakespear to go figure out the laws of motion and gravity and both would have a lot of trouble doing so!
That is so not true! nthing but a fake sterotype. Most clever people do not get beaten up or bullied, yes some smart people do, likewise so do some dumb people.

Wrong. Most people do!!
numero sept

Could you explain the meaning of "Intelligence means lack", please? To lack something is to not possess it - I fail to see how that relates to intelligence. And you're playing to a generally untrue stereotype with the idea that intelligent people are shunned and beaten up at school. I think you'll find it will, if anything, be people who try very hard in lessons and are socially inept who are treated like this.

Anyway, whatever it is that makes someone intelligent, it sure ain't a high IQ score. The best answers you're going to get are "problem solving ability" and "capacity for learning/understanding", both of which are fairly difficult to give a precise definition for.
numero sept
Wrong. Most people do!!

Well i dont, my brother doesnt and he got AAAA in AS levle, there is 1 other person that got the same and he does not get bullied at all, loads of people that do real well and dont get bullied.

Dont tell me this is not a sign of intelgence because in school there is no other way to show intelgence and these people are not exactly dumb!

The person that springs to mind as getting bullied the most in school was kicked out of school after year 12 because he got U U D in his exams

Latest

Trending

Trending