The Student Room Group

How to reject politely.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Vero_
You wanted a way of rejecting politely, there you are- what could possibly be more polite than admitting that you are the ones with the problem of being impossibly tempted by the mere presence of someone of a different gender? Did you want something that places the fault elsewhere?

Congratulations on your grades, but if you can't handle the presence of women in a study group I dread to think of how any of you would react to a professional environment where you'd have to work alongside those ghastly creatures known as 'females'.

I sense you are a feminist.
Reply 41
How is it completely sexist though? Many males get distracted with a female close by whilst studying: it's normal. I know for a fact when I am revising with female friends I keep on staring at their hair (or face) since I just find their hair amusing, that I forget to what I've been doing.

Wouldn't it be best to not jump into a conclusion and reject them, but let them join and see how it goes for a couple of sessions? This way it would also teach you guys self control as you can see what goes wrong from personal experience.
Original post by ILovePancakes
Yes, my personal opinion on it isn't going to dictate what he does - I was just saying what I think.

Yes, I understand that. My point was that he didn't ask for opinions on organising a single-sex revision group, he asked for advice on how to explain to girls the principle as politely as possible. If it were a case of how to most hurtfully bully someone I would understand challenging the idea but this is a perfectly acceptable set-up with neutral practicality motivating it. Starting a discussion about whether it is or isn't sexist is spam and more importantly unhelpful.

He did say that was the reason:

I see; good thing I wrote a defence for that being the potential reason in my post.
Reply 43
Original post by Vero_
You wanted a way of rejecting politely, there you are- what could possibly be more polite than admitting that you are the ones with the problem of being impossibly tempted by the mere presence of someone of a different gender? Did you want something that places the fault elsewhere?

Congratulations on your grades, but if you can't handle the presence of women in a study group I dread to think of how any of you would react to a professional environment where you'd have to work alongside those ghastly creatures known as 'females'.

The tone is not helpful. The group is not seeking to hurt others feelings and the women are more than welcome to start their own group. It is a critical time and so the rejections are necessary for this reason.
Reply 44
Original post by VK96
I sense you are a feminist.

Did you tingle? :O

Seriously though, sod the 'other places are single gender' discussion for all it's worth. There's a far bigger problem here if you genuinely cannot handle the presence of women without being 'tempted' by them.
Reply 45
Original post by kkboyk
How is it completely sexist though? Many males get distracted with a female close by whilst studying: it's normal. I know for a fact when I am revising with female friends I keep on staring at their hair (or face) since I just find their hair amusing, that I forget to what I've been doing.

Wouldn't it be best to not jump into a conclusion and reject them, but let them join and see how it goes for a couple of sessions? This way it would also teach you guys self control as you can see what goes wrong from personal experience.

The problem is that at this point we cannot afford to take chances. Once the problem is present is can be incredibly difficult to remove.
Reply 46
Original post by endlesswarmth
Thank you. Yours and Birkenhead's responses have been incredibly useful. How should we as a group go about declining politely?

Oh dear, I'm not good at these things but since it is the original purpose of your thread I'll try and come up with something lol. Perhaps phrase it in a way that appeals to their understanding: "You know how it is when boys and girls try to revise together, I'm not sure we'd get that much revision done (hahaha)." ... you can probably come up with a better wording :redface:

EDIT: Or just lie if possible: already too many people, etc.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by Vero_
Did you tingle? :O

Seriously though, sod the 'other places are single gender' discussion for all it's worth. There's a far bigger problem here if you genuinely cannot handle the presence of women without being 'tempted' by them.

Yes you really tingled my pringles there.

You and I both know that in this kind of situation, gender mixing will most likely lead to flirtatious behaviour. Why not save it for after work?
How ridiculously petty.
Reply 49
Original post by Ash S
Oh dear, I'm not good at these things lol. Perhaps phrase it in a way that appeals to their understanding: "You know how it is when boys and girls try to revise together, I'm not sure we'd get that much revision done (hahaha)." ... you can probably come up with a better wording :redface:

Thank you that is excellent. You and Birkenhead among others have been very supportive and I hope one day to return the favour.
Reply 50
Original post by Meyrin
How ridiculously petty.

Why is it "petty"? There are many female only study groups and these are accepted. Why should males be refused the same rights to set up a male only study group?
Reply 51
Original post by VK96
Yes you really tingled my pringles there.

You and I both know that in this kind of situation, gender mixing will most likely lead to flirtatious behaviour. Why not save it for after work?

I don't know, I somehow manage to get on with my work in the presence of people I am sexually attracted to, and save the flirting for when I'm finished. Perhaps I'm special.
Original post by kkboyk

This made me laugh - you'd get nothing done with my hair, it constantly looks like I've made a detour through a bush and seems to move of its own accord..

Original post by Birkenhead
Yes, I understand that. My point was that he didn't ask for opinions on organising a single-sex revision group, he asked for advice on how to explain to girls the principle as politely as possible. If it were a case of how to most hurtfully bully someone I would understand challenging the idea but this is a perfectly acceptable set-up with neutral practicality motivating it. Starting a discussion about whether it is or isn't sexist is spam and more importantly unhelpful.

I see; good thing I wrote a defence for that being the potential reason in my post.

My initial response was actually to you saying that there isn't a problem with some sexism. I didn't start the discussion. Regardless, I fear that this is a pointless and repetitive argument :tongue:
Reply 53
Original post by Vero_
I don't know, I somehow manage to get on with my work in the presence of people I am sexually attracted to, and save the flirting for when I'm finished. Perhaps I'm special.

Perhaps you are then, well done.
Why is it "petty"? There are many female only study groups and these are accepted. Why should males be refused the same rights to set up a male only study group?

I've yet to come across one in all my years of education.

Because it's absurd. You're implying either a) you're so sexually frustrated that the mere presence of women will distract you or b) that women are flaky and unfocused and will only cause flirtations in the group, as if they're not capable of concentrating on the task at hand.
Your wit is noted and a rep point is on the way.

woohooooo!!:colondollar::tongue:
Honestly, I don't see this as sexist. :erm: You want boys only for your private club thing or whatever, fair enough.
Just tell them that you have enough members already.
This is the nerdiest thread I think I've ever read, even by TSRs standards.

Can't believe people like this exist.
Original post by Maid Marian
Honestly, I don't see this as sexist. :erm: You want boys only for your private club thing or whatever, fair enough.
Just tell them that you have enough members already.

So if the point of the thread was that the OP doesn't want black members in his club, only white... You honestly don't think that would be racist?

Irritating.
Reply 59
Original post by ILovePancakes
This made me laugh - you'd get nothing done with my hair, it constantly looks like I've made a detour through a bush and seems to move of its own accord

Glad to entertain you... since I used to like one of them it was expected, but the again that was years ago...

Quick Reply

Latest