The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by 419
lol nah

Noone is buying that he's an arsenal fan.

Though, we've got what is this now, new user but showing good autowum potential.

Don't ever remember zyzz as a user let alone an Arsenal 'autoWUMer', Closest we've ever had would have been MoMatrix. Although he wasn't so much a WUMer as he was just a miserable WOB bastard.

Bacon is 100% certified BS. If anything, probably a city fan.
Reply 781
Original post by Pn94
Absolutely gutted.

Meh, an 11 game winning streak was good enough while it lasted.

Still think City will bottle it and you'll win though.
Reply 782
This is going to be a long week.

Who knows, maybe on the last day Andy Carroll will win it for us.

Best £35mil spend in that case :colondollar:
Reply 783
Original post by nosaer
Meh, an 11 game winning streak was good enough while it lasted.

Still think City will bottle it and you'll win though.

I do worry that we'll bottle it against C.Palace on the Monday..

City should streamroll Aston Villa and West Ham at the Ethihad. Newcastle will probably roll over at Anfield too.
Like I guess most Liverpool fans did, I felt sick, demoralised, even slightly emasculated after yesterdays result. After so many months of endless highs, the crushing reality of defeat was hard to take, especially against Chelsea with their ****house tactics (can't fault the execution, it was brilliant, but to suggest it was some sort of tactical masterclass is ridiculous).

That is the danger when you fly close to the sun. Eventually something is going to go wrong, a bit of bad luck, a mis-timed slip and this sport will throw you like a rag doll back down to the cold desolate earth where the majority of football fans spend their days. It's where we have been for the last 4 years, plodding along and wondering how we might ever fly again.

But I woke up this morning strangely optimistic. I looked at the table and there we are still sitting on top. The pressure is all on Man City and I believe they will drop points somewhere. If they don't then I will take my hat off and applaud them because they will fully deserve the league title.

And what of us? We are almost certainly going to finish second in the league, which is still a remarkable achievement. Keep in mind the owners had given Brendan a target of reaching the top four next season. The owners are likely to back him in the transfer market over the summer, and with Champions League football we should be in a position to attract top talent. Away from the pitch, the expansion of Anfield looks to be progressing well which will pay huge dividends in the long run.

Some will say that we might not get this opportunity ever again. I disagree. I think this is simply the beginning and win or lose I'm incredibly proud of the entire team for what they have achieved this season. The future is bright people, the future is bright.
Reply 785
Original post by Zerforax
I do worry that we'll bottle it against C.Palace on the Monday..

City should streamroll Aston Villa and West Ham at the Ethihad. Newcastle will probably roll over at Anfield too.

It all depends how Rodgers gets the players to respond to our first league defeat for about 5 months
If he does it well, we could unleash everything on palace and batter them

Even so, our best home is still Everton, and they may have already given up on top 4 now :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Isometrix
Goes to show we would have decimated you with a full strength team.

Hope you're trolling?

Chelsea played like West Ham etc do except with vastly better players. On paper that's still a better side than Everton for example. When West Ham held Chelsea 0-0 no one's doubting Chelsea were better. I don't think i even see West Ham with a back 6 though? Very well organised. Mourinho is the top sides version of Allardyce, with an ability to adjust tactics in other games. Horrible to watch, but it gets results.

As i see it now if City don't beat Everton, Liverpool will be pumped for Palace. If they win Liverpool will not win imo.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 787
Original post by DannyBoy123
X

+1
Agree with what you've said and I'll get there eventually. Too raw for now :colondollar:

Original post by Luke_Mckeown
It all depends how Rodgers gets the players to respond to our first league defeat for about 5 months
If he does it well, we could unleash everything on palace and batter them

Even so, our best home is still Everton, and they may have already given up on top 4 now :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

He'll just tell the players they deserved to win and if they carry on, they can still get to 86 points to win the title. In some ways, the pressure is off the players now since it's no longer in our hands to win.

C.Palace are a tough side to beat so who knows.

Well tbh no one expected Sunderland to pick up points against City and/or Chelsea so I'd say that Villa and West Ham won't be as easy as people think.

Sam is under pressure at West Ham so he'll be desperate for a big win and we have a few ex-Liverpool players there who would probably be happy if we won the title.

Equally I think Martinez needs to get as close to top 4 as possible if he wants extra funds.

Aston Villa are also close to the drop so we may see a big performance there too (since their last 2 games are Man City and Spurs).

Clutching at straws but who knows, Man City may still have their own Gerrard moment.
Reply 788
+1
Clutching at straws but who knows, Man City may still have their own Gerrard moment.

They already had it, when kompany let coutinho score at anfield ;/ He's gonna be so mad at himself now if you win the title.

Good luck though; I still think it's wide open.
Chelsea were the last team to beat us. Since then we are unbeaten in 0 games (1 lost, 0 drawn).

Updated.
Reply 790
Original post by samba
They already had it, when kompany let coutinho score at anfield ;/ He's gonna be so mad at himself now if you win the title.

Good luck though; I still think it's wide open.

True although Coutinho still had a lot of work to score.

Ba basically got presented a 1 v 1 goal scoring opportunity.

Gerrard's going to have nightmares about that for years if we don't win the title this year :frown:

Man City would need to finish on a 5 match winning streak to claim the title with 86 points. Earlier this season they went on an 8 game winning streak otherwise their longest has only been 4 wins in a row.

Come on Everton! :colondollar:
Reply 791
Original post by jam277
Updated.

Can't argue with that. Tbh I did think there was a chance that Chelsea would've won at the weekend.

More angry about how we lost than the fact we lost. If Chelsea had been the better team, you take it on the chin and move on.

Gerrard slipping and gifting a goal is painful but scoring in the 3rd or 4th minute of injury time after having been the team who had been time wasting from the first minute makes it even worse.
Reply 792
Can we try to raise funds please, to get Cabaye back to London by 8pm tonight? If Newcastle can beat Arsenal, then it will give Everton some motivation ahead of the City game.
Can't argue with that. Tbh I did think there was a chance that Chelsea would've won at the weekend.

More angry about how we lost than the fact we lost. If Chelsea had been the better team, you take it on the chin and move on.

Gerrard slipping and gifting a goal is painful but scoring in the 3rd or 4th minute of injury time after having been the team who had been time wasting from the first minute makes it even worse.

I understand why Barcelona fans dislike us. Drogba scored in injury time that he caused by himself.

Tbf with the players rolling down on the floor, I was in my uni library in Liverpool and I felt really ill because it was steaming. It was a very hot day and they could have got heatstroke.

I'm not even going to lie I didn't watch the second half because I saw that possession stat, I knew we were going to win and I had work to do.
Original post by jam277
Updated.

Lol why are you still winding them up?

Getting too peak now. We're taking out our wummage on these guys when it was mainly luke mckeown and SUG who were being overconfident and dismissive to our chances in our thread. Luke took his share of stick last night anyway, SUG still needs to get his just desserts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 795
Original post by jam277
I understand why Barcelona fans dislike us. Drogba scored in injury time that he caused by himself.

Tbf with the players rolling down on the floor, I was in my uni library in Liverpool and I felt really ill because it was steaming. It was a very hot day and they could have got heatstroke.

I'm not even going to lie I didn't watch the second half because I saw that possession stat, I knew we were going to win and I had work to do.

:rofl:

Tbh there are plenty of ways of winning a football match and Chelsea played the percentages game (and worked very hard for it) and managed it.

We'll all be supporting Atletico and Everton in the next week which should be amusing in itself. Hopefully Atletico score in the first minute and then park the bus and time waste till the 94th before a final counter attack to score followed by Mourinho exploding :coma:
Reply 796
Original post by Isometrix
Lol why are you still winding them up?

Getting too peak now. We're taking out our wummage on these guys when it was mainly luke mckeown and SUG who were being overconfident and dismissive to our chances in our thread. Luke took his share of stick last night anyway, SUG still needs to get his just desserts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Half the fun in posting on forums isn't it? We'll all be wumming on the Chlesea thread on Wednesday if you don't progress to the CL final.
:rofl:

Tbh there are plenty of ways of winning a football match and Chelsea played the percentages game (and worked very hard for it) and managed it.

We'll all be supporting Atletico and Everton in the next week which should be amusing in itself. Hopefully Atletico score in the first minute and then park the bus and time waste till the 94th before a final counter attack to score followed by Mourinho exploding :coma:

I remember last time you guys were so vocal on Chelsea not winning the CL we won it, got the entire Liverpool thread rustled with the 'best team in europe' comments. Although now it's got to a point where people realise Chelsea just deserve to win when we play like this as it happens all the time.

Since SUG has disappeared, won't WUM you guys. But man the double is still on. Going to pray about this seriously.
Half the fun in posting on forums isn't it? We'll all be wumming on the Chlesea thread on Wednesday if you don't progress to the CL final.

Haha yeah but wumming is only funny when you get a reaction. Some people still don't even know that and take the bait.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 799
Original post by jam277
I remember last time you guys were so vocal on Chelsea not winning the CL we won it, got the entire Liverpool thread rustled with the 'best team in europe' comments. Although now it's got to a point where people realise Chelsea just deserve to win when we play like this as it happens all the time.

Since SUG has disappeared, won't WUM you guys. But man the double is still on. Going to pray about this seriously.

Tbh the sheer amount of money that Chelsea throw about means it's always going to even out in the long term. I'll never forget the deliciousness of John Terry slipping to miss the penalty.

Equally Liverpool were jammy to win in 2005 but were the better team in 2007. Swings and roundabouts.

It will be tough to win the league since you need both Liverpool AND Man City to drop at least 3 points each with only 2 and 3 games left respectively.

Tbh the tactic only works so long as you score first. Had Liverpool scored first, your tactics were out the window and we could've passed it along the back. That said, anything can happen in a cup competition.

Abramovic bought Chelsea in the summer of 2003. After this season, that's 11 years.

11 years and over a ££billion later Chelsea have won:

3 Premier League titles
4 FA Cup trophies
2 League Cup trophies
2 Community Shields
1 Champions League trophy
1 Europa League trophy

For all that money, do you think it's a bit of a poor return? I'm mainly looking at the number of league titles tbh. Man City have only won one so far but otherwise Chelsea outspent the rest of the league in that decade period.

Latest