The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sr90
You answered your own question there.

The media ****fest would be absolutely unbearable if Liverpool won it. It's bad enough now, going on about Liverpool's amazing fans, how Gerrard deserves a title and how they should ''do it for the 96'' (not that I have anything against the JFT96 campaign, i just think it's wrong to link the two). It was bad enough having ''Aguerooooo!'' replayed or mentioned every 5 minutes, this would be infinitely worse given how there are so many ex-LFC pundits out there. Nobody will ever forget that Liverpool ended their league title drought as soon as Sir Alex Ferguson left.

Plus, City will always be known as the team who won the lottery and bought the league. They will never achieve what United or Liverpool have in terms of trophies. If Liverpool won the league, you'd have to respect them because absolutely no one saw this coming.

Probably shouldn't be saying all this on the Liverpool thread but hey :laugh: If the roles were reversed, I doubt the general opinion would be much different.

Aye, the media side of it is understandable. But again, United fans go to work, and are friends with, City fans. Wouldn't seeing them gloat on a daily basis be worse than what you see on Match of the Day or Sky Sports?
Original post by Stylo92
Aye, the media side of it is understandable. But again, United fans go to work, and are friends with, City fans. Wouldn't seeing them gloat on a daily basis be worse than what you see on Match of the Day or Sky Sports?

:K: most United fans go to work with Arsenal, Chelsea, Fulham, Leyton Orient, QPR, Crystal Palace, Spurs, and West Ham fans etc
Original post by Stylo92

Not really, there aren't many Man City fans in London.

****, didn't even see the comment above?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam277

hahahahahahaha i'd rather we play brad jones our backup GK up front than aspas tbh
Original post by ReturnoftheG
:K: most United fans go to work with Arsenal, Chelsea, Fulham, Leyton Orient, QPR, Crystal Palace, Spurs, and West Ham fans etc

Nice sly dig there :wink:

United fans are everywhere, simply because they're the biggest club in England.
So the going to work scenario doesn't really count unless you're only talking about the homegrown fans in Manchester itself

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr90
You answered your own question there.

The media ****fest would be absolutely unbearable if Liverpool won it. It's bad enough now, going on about Liverpool's amazing fans, how Gerrard deserves a title and how they should ''do it for the 96'' (not that I have anything against the JFT96 campaign, i just think it's wrong to link the two). It was bad enough having ''Aguerooooo!'' replayed or mentioned every 5 minutes, this would be infinitely worse given how there are so many ex-LFC pundits out there. Nobody will ever forget that Liverpool ended their league title drought as soon as Sir Alex Ferguson left.

Plus, City will always be known as the team who won the lottery and bought the league. They will never achieve what United or Liverpool have in terms of trophies. If Liverpool won the league, you'd have to respect them because absolutely no one saw this coming.

Probably shouldn't be saying all this on the Liverpool thread but hey :laugh: If the roles were reversed, I doubt the general opinion would be much different.

Nice post, well summarised
+1 when I go on my laptop :smile:

The aguero thing annoyed me so much - I wanted united to win that season because of city and their bottomless pockets.
This season I want city to win simply to stop mourinho doing so.

You said it right there - there isn't really a way to take credit away from Liverpool if they do it, they don't have the resources or the squad depth to buy or coast the league like city/Chelsea. So winning is all down to tactics and team chemistry
I'm sure people would moan about no Europe and penalties all day long though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Luke_Mckeown
Nice sly dig there :wink:

United fans are everywhere, simply because they're the biggest club in England.
So the going to work scenario doesn't really count unless you're only talking about the homegrown fans in Manchester itself

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which I obviously was.
Nice post, well summarised
+1 when I go on my laptop :smile:

The aguero thing annoyed me so much - I wanted united to win that season because of city and their bottomless pockets.
This season I want city to win simply to stop mourinho doing so.

You said it right there - there isn't really a way to take credit away from Liverpool if they do it, they don't have the resources or the squad depth to buy or coast the league like city/Chelsea. So winning is all down to tactics and team chemistry
I'm sure people would moan about no Europe and penalties all day long though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Liverpool have spent £309,950,000 in the past 5 seasons.
Original post by ReturnoftheG

Original post by The Assassin
Not really, there aren't many Man City fans in London.

fuk, didn't even see the comment above?

Referring to the Mancunian Man United fans.
Original post by Stylo92

Okay, so assuming your figures are correct, that's roughly 62m per year.

Do you think that's actually a lot for a club challenging for top 4, let alone one challenging for the title?

I certainly don't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay, so assuming your figures are correct, that's roughly 62m per year.

Do you think that's actually a lot for a club challenging for top 4, let alone one challenging for the title?

I certainly don't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's the 4th most, so yes.

Man City, Chelsea, Spurs then Liverpool.
Original post by Stylo92
It's the 4th most, so yes.

Man City, Chelsea, Spurs then Liverpool.

What are the actual figures?

Surely you could link to a reputable source or just list the numbers?
It isn't about the placing, it's about the number

For all I know, there's a 10m difference between the 4th and 6th highest spenders (unlikely, but you can't be sure without evidence)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1192
Original post by Stylo92

net spend values or i aint listening
What are the actual figures?

Surely you could link to a reputable source or just list the numbers?
It isn't about the placing, it's about the number

For all I know, there's a 10m difference between the 4th and 6th highest spenders (unlikely, but you can't be sure without evidence)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by cBay
net spend values or i aint listening

http://transferleague.co.uk/league-tables/transfer-league-table-last-five-seasons.html
Reply 1194

tbf net spend of £17mil a season aint THAT high. Lol at Stoke being higher than us, and Aston "our chairman doesn't invest any money" Villa only just behind us. Arsenal and Tottenham's reputations as selling clubs proven here too.
Original post by cBay
tbf net spend of £17mil a season aint THAT high. Lol at Stoke being higher than us, and Aston "our chairman doesn't invest any money" Villa only just behind us. Arsenal and Tottenham's reputations as selling clubs proven here too.

Also:

http://transferleague.co.uk/premiership-football-club-comparisons/premier-league-comparisons.html

Particularly 'After Henry Buyout oct 2010'

Haha, I knew it.
A net spend of 18m per season compared to 96m from city and 56m from Chelsea

That is exactly my point; the difference is astounding.

We may have spent over 300m, but we have had to sell a great deal of players to produce the funds.
City and Chelsea don't need to do that - they can just spend what they like, which supports my original point.

Posted from TSR Mobile

is there a similar table for the last 25 years? Thanks i found it
(edited 9 years ago)
definitely - wish i lived closer; so jealous for people going next year, especially the european nights! :frown:

....no reason :rolleyes:

i'm assuming looking at your post count, you're new on here?

Same! Another reason why Liverpool uni is PERFECT for me and the course I want to do :wink:

...hmm okay then :tongue:

Yep, only just joined yesterday! I had an account aaaages ago but never really used it haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LFC_RV
Same! Another reason why Liverpool uni is PERFECT for me and the course I want to do :wink:

...hmm okay then :tongue:

Yep, only just joined yesterday! I had an account aaaages ago but never really used it haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

My brother goes to uni in Liverpool!
I think it's one that has the name of a person in it's title maybe?
What course are you doing?

Ooooh, welcome to the group then - I'm sure Zerf or myself will be able to answer any questions or help you out if it is required. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest