The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

What I would be worried about is this, Liverpool's run of games, the 10 in a row or whatever it was, was ended by Chelsea and in a few of those games, Liverpool just squeaked through, i.e. hasn't Gerrard scored something like 14 penalties!!?? Liverpool are due a couple of slip ups, like every team, my fear is that they are happening now at the end of the season.

Palace seem to be riding high, an away game down there on a Monday night, with all the pressure Liverpool are under, I could easily see a draw.

As for Newcastle, Pardew is under an immense amount of pressure and will want to finish the season strong. Remy's fit now and with him, he could grab a goal against any team. It's not impossible they get something either.
Original post by Zerforax
In the grand scheme of things? Yes. You challenge for the title and play decent in the CL and better players want to join you which in turn improves you. Hopefully if you challenge enough times, it averages out and you win one.

The FA cup is some crap domestic trophy you get for winning against 6 random teams (of varying quality).

Don't get me wrong, it's great to play at Wembley and the players get to celebrate.

No doubt it's more about circumstances though. We won the FA cup in 2006, played in the final in 2012 and won the League cup in 2012.

It's the same way Liverpool fans would rather win the premier league than the Champions League (considering we won it in 2005) whereas Arsenal fans would always take a CL win over premier league since you've never won it.

Wasn't Sturridge in tears after we knocked you out at the Emirates a few months back?

The FA Cup is definitely way off the title/CL but it's still a trophy everybody wants to win, it's not the League Cup.

If you're in the CL then you can attract players with the right money. Finishing 2nd/3rd/4th is neither here nor there.
Original post by little_tom
No, I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about the bigger picture, i.e. letting the title slip away. How can you get solace from that?

No one is going to say in ten years, "ah, remember when we clinched second?". It means absolutely nothing. It will be remembered as a failure because you had the title in your hands for so long and then blew it when you only needed a draw.

So having the title in our hands for 2 weeks is long? :confused:
How can you possibly get solace from bottling it in the third last game of the season?

Win 11 of the last 12 games = bottling it. Ok. :rofl2:

Going from 5 points clear to scraping 4th is bottling it.
Original post by jam277
Lol at Arsenal fans getting giddy as well. :rofl: They're **** and haven't won a trophy in 8 years? Why they actually trying it. At least we have a team in Liverpool that don't embarrass themselves when they come up against a decent side in europe.

Can't wait for Chelsea vs Liverpool in the CL. Calling this as the CL final next season.

Also Little Tom where is my 20 pounds? :lol:

Right.
Original post by jam277
Lol at Arsenal fans getting giddy as well. :rofl: They're **** and haven't won a trophy in 8 years? Why they actually trying it. At least we have a team in Liverpool that don't embarrass themselves when they come up against a decent side in europe.

Can't wait for Chelsea vs Liverpool in the CL. Calling this as the CL final next season.

Tbh mate, with the amount of money Chelsea spend, your return over the last 9 years is nothing special at all. 1 title in 9 years with all the resources in the world? Doesnt sound great.

And Chelsea do embarrass themselves every year in Europe. The derision your style gets in Holland/Germany for instance is off the chart...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Kruz
Right.

Who expected a Madrid derby this season. Most people expected Atlético to get to the quarters at best.

Who expected an all german final last season, everybody thought el classico.

Chelsea have a team capable of getting to the final and Liverpool are a team that are known to spring a few surprises. Don't be surprised if they get to the final.
Original post by Zürich
Wasn't Sturridge in tears after we knocked you out at the Emirates a few months back?

Probably because he had his worst game in a Liverpool shirt.

This thread atm:

Arsenal fans giving it large over a trophy they haven't even won yet (remember Birmingham?)
Chelsea fans laughing as if their only chance at a trophy didn't just go flying out the window.
Original post by samir12
So having the title in our hands for 2 weeks is long? :confused:

You know what I meant. Either way, the title was in your hands at that stage of the season, so there really is no excuse especially if all you needed to do was earn a draw.

Original post by CB91
Win 11 of the last 12 games = bottling it. Ok. :rofl2:

Going from 5 points clear to scraping 4th is bottling it.

With 20 or so games to go? Clearly.

Quite embarrassing to see you lot on your knees begging your local rivals to do you a favor, only for them to turn around and spit on your face. I imagine Carra, Gerrard and Rodgers were in their Everton kits whilst watching this game eh?

Hmm...
Original post by jam277
Who expected a Madrid derby this season. Most people expected Atlético to get to the quarters at best.

Who expected an all german final last season, everybody thought el classico.

Chelsea have a team capable of getting to the final and Liverpool are a team that are known to spring a few surprises. Don't be surprised if they get to the final.

Lol they haven't been in it for like 5 years, suddenly the season they're back they'll reach the final? Ah well opinions I guess.
Original post by jam277

Not to mention they thought they were going to win it at the beginning of the season :lol:
Original post by Zürich
Tbh mate, with the amount of money Chelsea spend, your return over the last 9 years is nothing special at all. 1 title in 9 years with all the resources in the world? Doesnt sound great.

And Chelsea do embarrass themselves every year in Europe. The derision your style gets in Holland/Germany for instance is off the chart...

Honestly I don't think many liverpool fans, Chelsea fans or United fans give a **** about what you have to say.

Like with little_tom, what do you actually contribute bar for the Arsenal thread besides attempting to piss off posters with your posts that sound like you're already intoxicated? :smile:
Original post by Kruz
Lol they haven't been in it for like 5 years, suddenly the season they're back they'll reach the final? Ah well opinions I guess.

This is one of the most stupid posts I've heard all year when you consider that Atlético's last season in the CL before this season was the last time Liverpool played in the competition.

Original post by Jordooooom
Not to mention they thought they were going to win it at the beginning of the season :lol:

Arsenal fans are actually embarrassing and they wonder why nobody likes them. Like people just think they're a bunch of idiots.

Like my mate was crying and doing a Wenger out rant for 30mins and now he's happy again in the space of 3 weeks.
(edited 9 years ago)
lol I didn't come out of my way to post on this thread, I only got involved in the discussion because some Liverpool fans are under the delusion that 2nd place > 4th + FA cup
Don't piss me off.

200 million spent in the last few years, came 7th last year smh
red carpet stevie g don't deserve nothing, other fans spewing 'i want liverpool to win it for mr this does not fackin slip hollywood steve'

I swear man was talking to the team in that huddle against city like he was william wallace and then he goes and lets down his team single handedly

this season will haunt him, in few years to come,he will look at his champions league trophy in glee and then have a sudden flashback on the slippage....'what if?'....

anyway, I'm off to the emirates to dust the trophy cabinet with robbie and them man from arsenal fan tv, cant have all that dust for when that fa ting come thru may 17th. u mad

pulis and friends will end your season come monday evening
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't get the hate for Chelsea.

Lmao at Jams response to Zurichs post
Original post by Zürich

Lol you love skewing arguments. Why miss out a Champions League, a Europa League (which is better than a FA cup), and 4 FA cups/2 community shields?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Thugnificent.
200 million spent in the last few years, came 7th last year smh
red carpet stevie g don't deserve nothing, other fans spewing 'i want liverpool to win it for mr this does not fackin slip hollywood steve'

It's even more funny how Liverpool fans fail to spot the irony in this. All this talk about Everton ''throwing a game'', Liverpool fans must have awfully short term memory because I remember an equally lethargic performance against Chelsea at Anfield in 2010. Who can forget Stevie Me's backpass to Drogba that stopped Manchester United getting number 19?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Yaboy InYourMum
I don't get the hate for Chelsea.

Lmao at Jams response to Zurichs post

Like honestly I'm just saying what loads of posters are probably thinking in their heads.

Anyway nice to see you back.
You know what I meant. Either way, the title was in your hands at that stage of the season, so there really is no excuse especially if all you needed to do was earn a draw.

There is an excuse if you play against a team like Chelsea who also have a sniff at the title, even if Gerrard didn't slip, there was no guranteed Liverpool's defence would have been solid for the rest of the game when we all know it is prone to **** up one way or another. If it was against a small team then fair enough.

Latest