I love how you assume that hahahah

Poor guy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LFC_RV
I'm lost, who's Thomas??

Posted from TSR Mobile

you don't wanna know man...

Original post by cBay
haha i was joking about football manager, obviously I don't judge players based on that, but it is what made me look him up when i noticed his stats for the last few seasons. I usually overlook him when looking for players just because of my memory of him but it was deadline day and I was getting desperate for a left winger so I had a look, looked decent enough so bought him for £15mil and he's turned out brilliant. Had to start playing him up top in a 4-3-1-2 because he was so lethal.

His record is seriously good irl these last few seasons, and Arsenal can apparently buy him back for £3mil... that would be such a bargain. I've only seen a couple of Soceidad games this season so I'm probably not the best judge but from youtube video's he looks the real deal. I would prefer him to Konoplayanka for a similar price tbh, who's never really impressed me.

haha, obviously... :wink:
definitely - football games make you take notice of players - sometimes it works out, but mostly players are overrated in their development on games.

yeah, i'd definitely pay 3m for him if i were arsenal
i'm just looking forward to see who we buy - hopefully i've heard of a few of them, but if not that's even better.
if they're unknown, it means we've scouted them well so they must have great potential.

Original post by LFC_RV
Is he really "ickle"? 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

he basically either contributes fairly decent footballing insight and knowledge (some of the time), or acts like a complete, biased child (most of the time)
Original post by LFC_RV
I was thinking of something other than 'mind' then... :|

Posted from TSR Mobile

keep it out... :eek:

Original post by cBay
well I wouldn't know in that case. Probably though

haha, sure you wouldn't... :wink:
was tommy the one who was posting pictures of his legs, or was that a different idiot?
Reply 1585
Original post by Luke_Mckeown

was tommy the one who was posting pictures of his legs, or was that a different idiot?

thankfully I didn't witness this. When there's stupid 10-page arguments going on, I tend not to bother getting involved
Original post by cBay
thankfully I didn't witness this. When there's stupid 10-page arguments going on, I tend not to bother getting involved

true, they're fun to watch though.

unfortunately, thomas has an irrational hatred of me so he loves to jump in and annoy me for no reason.
apparently i'm "too nice" and he doesn't trust that...
Reply 1587
Original post by cBay
hey guys, thoughts on Carlos Vela from Real Soceidad? He's got 19 goals and 12 assists this season mainly playing on the wing. I know he struggled when he was in England beforehand but you gotta remember he was young at the time. Would likely cost £15-20mil

He's been immense this season. I'd say, excluding the big 2, he's been the best RW in the league. It's a bit puzzling that he hasn't gotten more hype, especially because he put in MOTM performances in the big games, e.g. against Barça, where he embarrassed Bartra quite a few times. He perhaps doesn't have the potential of Griezmann, but his quality at the moment is just as good, number-wise even a bit better. For me, he's one of the most entertaining players in la liga to watch too, especially in Sociedad's tiki taka they played at the start of the season.

I'm not sure whether he'd fare as well in the Prem though. He has developed since coming to la liga and added a few things to his game, but then I think the style in la liga, and especially the way Sociedad play football, suit him more.

He was linked with Liverpool in the Spanish press in February and March, but those rumours have gone quiet; now it sounds like he's Arsenal-bound. Wrt the price, he has a release clause of 30m euros. Whether or not Sociedad would let him go for less would probably depend on who else leaves. Griezmann looks set to leave, and losing both in one window could be fatal for them.
(edited 9 years ago)
luke mckeown u look so cute
Original post by cBay
hey guys, thoughts on Carlos Vela from Real Soceidad? He's got 19 goals and 12 assists this season mainly playing on the wing. I know he struggled when he was in England beforehand but you gotta remember he was young at the time. Would likely cost £15-20mil

Arsenal have a €4m buy back clause, first refusal and a 50% sell on clause too.

So if you do buy him, send the £10m chwque down to N7 please! :biggrin:
Original post by little_tom
luke mckeown u look so cute

speak of the devil.

do you have anything of interest to say regarding the sport of football?
Original post by Zürich

So if you do buy him, send £10m down to N7 please! :biggrin:

i don't see why arsenal wouldn't utilise this buy back clause.
£3m is worth the "risk" if you could call it that, with how he has played.
a little jealous tbh.
velaworth 4m..puke mckoewn is worth £1
Original post by Luke_Mckeown
i don't see why arsenal wouldn't utilise this buy back clause.
£3m is worth the "risk" if you could call it that, with how he has played.
a little jealous tbh.

Indications coming out that we are interested, and Vela said 2 days ago that he was open to coming back. Biggest worry is of course that he was very average for us, and on loan at WBA, so he just might not be suited to English football. Might be Jose Antonio Reyes II. Vela always had decent skills but the end product was never there at AFC,sounds like he;s improved on that. He seemed very one footed at the time as well but its a long time ago now, barely remember his few outings for us.

We could definitely use another winger anyway so it wouldnt surprise me if we went for it on day 1 of the transfer window tbh. If not then 50% of any fee sounds decent too :tongue:

Ive always said that if Wenger fancies Greizmann, that we should agree to cancle the clauses if they sell Greizmann on the cheap to us. Everybody wins!

There's also some issue with him coming up for eligibility for a Spanish passport and he probably needs to stay in Spain to get that. Arsenal can offer lots of things to players, but EU passports are not one of them :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by little_tom
velaworth 4m..puke mckoewn is worth £1

cool story bro.
i'm actually interested in how old you really are - seriously can't be more than 14 or else i'd be worried for your mental health...

Original post by Zürich
Indications coming out that we are interested, and Vela said 2 days ago that he was open to coming back. Biggest worry is of course that he was very average for us, and on loan at WBA, so he just might not be suited to English football. Might be Jose Antonio Reyes II. Vela always had decent skills but the end product was never there at AFC,sounds like he;s improved on that. He seemed very one footed at the time as well but its a long time ago now, barely remember his few outings for us.

We could definitely use another winger anyway so it wouldnt surprise me if we went for it on day 1 of the transfer window tbh. If not then 50% of any fee sounds decent too :tongue:

Ive always said that if Wenger fancies Greizmann, that we should agree to cancle the clauses if they sell Greizmann on the cheap to us. Everybody wins!

i agree - he was unimpressive in his first stint, but considering how good he appears now, it's probably worth a punt anyway.
yeah, you're in a win-win situation tbh

i'm assuming the 50% sell on clause doesn't count if you're the ones buying him? :wink:
Reply 1595
Original post by qua
He's been immense this season. I'd say, excluding the big 2, he's been the best RW in the league. It's a bit puzzling that he hasn't gotten more hype, especially because he put in MOTM performances in the big games, e.g. against Barça, where he embarrassed Bartra quite a few times. He perhaps doesn't have the potential of Griezmann, but his quality at the moment is just as good, number-wise even a bit better. For me, he's one of the most entertaining players in la liga to watch too, especially in Sociedad's tiki taka they played at the start of the season.

I'm not sure whether he'd fare as well in the Prem though. He has developed since coming to la liga and added a few things to his game, but then I think the style in la liga, and especially the way Sociedad play football, suit him more.

He was linked with Liverpool in the Spanish press in February and March, but those rumours have gone quiet; now it sounds like he's Arsenal-bound. Wrt the price, he has a release clause of 30m euros. Whether or not Sociedad would let him go for less would probably depend on who else leaves. Griezmann looks set to leave, and losing both in one window could be fatal for them.

sounds all good to me tbh... from what I've seen, I think he'd suit our style as we don't exactly play typical english football. Do you think he'd fit in at liverpool? I've heard one of his major issues is his workrate but that's something that can be improved; Coutinho had similar problems to begin with.

It's the comparison with Griezmann that made me bring Vela up, as you say Vela's stats are actually better than griezmann's, but all the hype and big-money talk is about griezmann.

I probably wouldn't pay any more than £15mil-ish for either of them tbh, due to the fact they're unproven in the PL.. Griezmann is being talked about at numbers like £25mil which I'm unconvinced by.

Original post by Zürich

So if you do buy him, send the £10m chwque down to N7 please! :biggrin:

I actually think the arsenal's buy-back clause could help any buying club in regards to price really. If Arsenal are already in talks of him, Soceidad would feel they might as well accept bids circa £15mil from other clubs in hope that Vela signs for one of the other clubs and gets them a bit of extra money. First refusal is rendered useless in this situation because of the low buy back clause, and that's the first I've heard of the 50% sell-on clause. Doesn't really bother me where the money ends up though, it's not like you would spend it anyway.
Reply 1596
Original post by Zürich

There's also some issue with him coming up for eligibility for a Spanish passport and he probably needs to stay in Spain to get that. Arsenal can offer lots of things to players, but EU passports are not one of them :tongue:

surely Vela would be eligible for a UK passport if he came back here, wasn't he here for like 5-6 years?
Original post by cBay

I actually think the arsenal's buy-back clause could help any buying club in regards to price really. If Arsenal are already in talks of him, Soceidad would feel they might as well accept bids circa £15mil from other clubs in hope that Vela signs for one of the other clubs and gets them a bit of extra money. First refusal is rendered useless in this situation because of the low buy back clause, and that's the first I've heard of the 50% sell-on clause. Doesn't really bother me where the money ends up though, it's not like you would spend it anyway.

A buy back clause is a buy back clause. We want him for €4m and Vela fancies it, then Sociedad just have to sign the papers and move on.

Even without a 50% clause, which I do think is in there too from all accounts, the buy back clause becomes a de-facto sell on clause. Someone bids £15m for Vela, we can just buy him back for €4m and sell him for £15m anyway. Might have to throw Vela a bit of cash to get him to agree to it, but there's no way Arsenal are going to sit by without benefiting either way.

Wenger's not the most ruthless manager in the world though, I can imagine him finding it all a bit unsavoury :rolleyes:

Our £150m cash reserves would increase to £160m. Maybe we'll save enough to buy Spurs one day and make then Arsenal B. :coma:

Original post by cBay
surely Vela would be eligible for a UK passport if he came back here, wasn't he here for like 5-6 years?

Spain give passports out like sweets to Latin American residents it seems, UK passport law is stricter. He was on loan in Spain for years at a time anyway during his Arsenal days.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1598
Original post by Zürich
A buy back clause is a buy back clause. We want him for €4m and Vela fancies it, then Sociedad just have to sign the papers and move on.

Aye but it's ultimately Vela's choice... you're just presuming he'd choose you over any other clubs going in for him.

But i agree it's a win-win for you. Done very well to get those clauses in place.
Original post by cBay
Aye but it's ultimately Vela's choice... you're just presuming he'd choose you over any other clubs going in for him.

But i agree it's a win-win for you. Done very well to get those clauses in place.

Well at €4m, we can probably afford to hand him a multi million signing on fee or something silly and still come out of it ahead. How much is he on at RS, £40k probably. With such a reduced fee, we can afford to be a bit silly with the wages if that's what it takes. Other clubs paying £15-£20m wont want to go to £100k whereas we could if needed. Anyway, he said the other day that he was open to AFC tbf.

Wenger knows talent when he sees it, brought him from Mexico when he was a kid and probably clocked that he'd do well in Spain even if England didnt work out.

Latest