The Student Room Group

Conditional offer worries

Hello,

To fulfill my politics offer for Warwick i need to achieve AAA, however it looks like I will be getting a B in history.

Does anyone know how likely it is for Warwick to be lenient? I hear that the government has removed financial penalties for uni's taking too many students, will this increase my chances?

Thanks
We don't know if you'll get in or not. It depends on a number of things, which change year-by-year and course-by-course
- if they have already filled all the places with people who did meet their offer, or if they still have a few spaces left
- if they think they can fill up their remaining spaces with better quality candidates by going through clearing or by accepting people who just missed their offer
- whether the grades that you actually got were ABB / equivalent or above (universities can be fined for over-recruiting people with BBB or below; this is not the case for people with ABB+)
- how narrowly you missed your offer
- if there was anyone else who missed their offer by a narrower margin
- whether you are an international student (if you are, then you are more attractive because you pay higher fees, and the government can't fine the university for over-recruiting internationals)
Warwick is a competitive Uni and Politics is an over-subscribed course. Be realistic about what they might accept - and choose an Insurance you actually want to go to, because with a risky Firm that could become the reality.

On the other hand, you could just pull your finger out and do some work. And, if you don't like challenges and hard work then you might like to rethink the whole idea of going to Uni.
Reply 3
Original post by Origami Bullets
We don't know if you'll get in or not. It depends on a number of things, which change year-by-year and course-by-course
- if they have already filled all the places with people who did meet their offer, or if they still have a few spaces left
- if they think they can fill up their remaining spaces with better quality candidates by going through clearing or by accepting people who just missed their offer
- whether the grades that you actually got were ABB / equivalent or above (universities can be fined for over-recruiting people with BBB or below; this is not the case for people with ABB+)
- how narrowly you missed your offer
- if there was anyone else who missed their offer by a narrower margin
- whether you are an international student (if you are, then you are more attractive because you pay higher fees, and the government can't fine the university for over-recruiting internationals)

Thanks for the reply;

Do you think it's worth contacting the university beforehand to ask if there's any possibility of me still being accepted? I know it seems a bit ridiculous but the chances of me achieving that A are unlikely now, but I may well end up with A*AB if thats any improvement. It's just going to be a bit horrible waiting till August for the inevitable to happen.
Original post by returnmigrant
Warwick is a competitive Uni and Politics is an over-subscribed course. Be realistic about what they might accept - and choose an Insurance you actually want to go to, because with a risky Firm that could become the reality.

On the other hand, you could just pull your finger out and do some work. And, if you don't like challenges and hard work then you might like to rethink the whole idea of going to Uni.

wow, so helpful.
Original post by Ahopes
Thanks for the reply;

Do you think it's worth contacting the university beforehand to ask if there's any possibility of me still being accepted? I know it seems a bit ridiculous but the chances of me achieving that A are unlikely now, but I may well end up with A*AB if thats any improvement. It's just going to be a bit horrible waiting till August for the inevitable to happen.

Definitely. Please contact Warwick before making any decisions. They might just make an exception for your case. Ask if it is acceptable to have A*AB, instead of AAA. It would definitely increase your chances if you get A*AB instead of AAB. Just remember to put an insurance that does not require AAA.
Work harder and get the A?
Reply 7
Original post by TheBigJosh
Work harder and get the A?

I didn't do very well in a coursework piece (which I am not allowed to retake), meaning I have to achieve a very high mark in the exam to scrape an A overall. I will obviously be doing all I can to achieve that mark.
Original post by Ahopes
I didn't do very well in a coursework piece (which I am not allowed to retake), meaning I have to achieve a very high mark in the exam to scrape an A overall. I will obviously be doing all I can to achieve that mark.

Oh well then maybe should have tried harder in the coursework...
If I was in that position then I'd ring the university for confirmation, but I met my grades .
Original post by Ahopes
Thanks for the reply;

You can ring them, but you won't get a definitive answer - it'll be a shade of maybe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This a complete and utter waste of time. No University will give that sort of reassurance at this stage. This is real life - not some sort of teenage Disney 'Mommy I'm home' nonsense.

So you're 100% sure that OP won't get any sort of positive reply? Unless you are the admissions officer for Warwick, you are in no position to comment. Do you have a better suggestion to increase OP's chances?

This is about the only thing that OP can do at the moment, and for all you know, they may accept A*AB.
A reply from them would at least give the OP info on what to do next, instead of leaving him hanging to second guess what the Warwick Admissions team thinks of the situation.
Seriously, if you can't say anything to help, don't say anything at all.
(edited 9 years ago)
I work as an Admissions Tutor for an RG Uni. I get very bored with these sort of enquiries from teenagers who a year ago thought it was a great idea to make their teachers over inflate their predicted grades so they could 'apply for Warwick' or wherever. And now the sharp reality is that they've realised that they arent actually as clever as they thought they were - their teachers knew this all along - and they've wasted everybody's time in applying to a Uni beyond their grasp. They want all the kudos of applying to a 'top' Uni but forget that that is actually a reflection of the highly selective admissions process.

What can he do at the moment? Use this realisation as motivation to work his butt off to get the required grades. Or cancel his UCAS application and reapply next year with known grades to less demanding Universities.

We are not interested in phone calls from people panicking about their A level exams. We are interested in people who can rise to a challenge.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Why does everyone assume I'm work shy and not up for a challenge, I've performed consistently well in all my exams except one piece of coursework where I have performed badly and thus my grade has been brought down. I only asked the question as I was unsure about what my position would be if I failed to meet the grade, my primary goal is of course to still achieve the A, I just thought it was a good idea to try and establish my options if this was not the case.
I work as an Admissions Tutor for an RG Uni. I get very bored with these sort of enquiries from teenagers who a year ago thought it was a great idea to make their teachers over inflate their predicted grades so they could 'apply for Warwick' or wherever. And now the sharp reality is that they've realised that they arent actually as clever as they thought they were - their teachers knew this all along - and they've wasted everybody's time in applying to a Uni beyond their grasp. They want all the kudos of applying to a 'top' Uni but forget that that is actually a reflection of the highly selective admissions process.

What can he do at the moment? Use this realisation as motivation to work his butt off to get the required grades. Or cancel his UCAS application and reapply next year with known grades to less demanding Universities.

We are not interested in phone calls from people panicking about their A level exams. We are interested in people who can rise to a challenge.

Sorry, I didn't realise that. I see where you are coming from. I know you must be frustrated with these calls. However, OP wanted to know if he could get in with A*AB, instead of AAA. Between AAA vs AAB, its clear the candidate didn't meet the required grades, but between A*AB and AAA, technically, it adds up to the same number of UCAS points, so in this case, it is less clear if he would be rejected outright if he achieved those grades.
Reply 14
Original post by Ahopes
Why does everyone assume I'm work shy and not up for a challenge, I've performed consistently well in all my exams except one piece of coursework where I have performed badly and thus my grade has been brought down. I only asked the question as I was unsure about what my position would be if I failed to meet the grade, my primary goal is of course to still achieve the A, I just thought it was a good idea to try and establish my options if this was not the case.

Yeah but you know how it is on here a lot of people like to think that everybody can just rustle up an A* if they "just try hard enough". Of course the best one can personally get is related to how hard one tries but that upper limit is different for everyone. Just telling people what they should have done is no earthly use unless it is possible to change it which in this case you can't. Why people can't just be helpful and help folks with the situation they are in as is beats me.

FWIW I think that if you have a decent back up that you'd be happy to go to with very attainable grades I'd firm Warwick and put down that solid insurance.
Original post by Ahopes

Sorry if I have misinterpreted you in anyway. You sounded like you are most likely going to get an A*AB or an AAB, so I tried to advice you based off that.
Reply 16
Original post by 1drowssap
Sorry if I have misinterpreted you in anyway. You sounded like you are most likely going to get an A*AB or an AAB, so I tried to advice you based off that.

No your advice was helpful, thank you. I was directing that at the people who just say something like 'should have worked harder' and similarly unhelpful things.
Reply 17
Theres usually a small degree of flexibility.

Quick Reply

Latest