The Student Room Group

childcare issues with OH

I know I am being selfish here but I am really annoyed with my hubby!

I am going to uni next year and childcare is going to be really hard to cover. I will have to leave at 7 or 8 in the morning (he is at work) and put my 2 primary age children in breakfast club or childminder. For the winter 6 months he finishes in time to pick them up. He works 4 days a week so will be around for them on 5th day.
From April he works later so won't be able to pick them up so they will be in childcare before and after school (apart from 5th day when he is off)
But this is april onwards and I will finish in june/july so won't have to put children in childcare then so literally only 12 weeks.

Now he has decided he will leave his job and I feel really annoyed about it. I know I'm being selfish because he is obviously unhappy in his job and he is supporting me in my decision to chuck my job in and go to uni so upending our own childrens childcare and our family finances. Last time he left his job he stuck out the new job for about 2 weeks, hated it and went back again to where he is now (for less money!!) and I am really worried he is just reacting to the fact he is pissed off with work so rather than sort it out hes just going to chuck it in (again) at the expense of my plans and our children!

I feel guilty enough but now feel even more guitly because I had assumed he would be there for them most days after school but now this almost certainly won't be the case.

Please someone tell me to wind my neck in or reassure me - I am thinking I must be making the wrong decision to chuck it all in for 1 year at uni (teacher training)
Reply 1
You are doing this for the benefit of not only yourself, but for your children and your husband. Your husband is more than happy to stay at home and look after them, hence why he is leaving his work due to the fact that childcare is more likely to cost you both more money and it's not worth it! Let him do it! He cares, and he wants to help :smile: good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending