The Student Room Group

Missed university interview what to do now?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymousgirll
I genuinely thought it was next week. I did post yesterday saying that it was today as I needed quick advice and the previous threads I have written in the past did not get responses. So I thought if I say it's tomorrow I am much more likely to get responses as it is more of a matter or urgency.

Hmm... I'll just ignore this...

Regarding uni, email admissions and the course leader explain the situation, admit your mistake (do not say 'but it was only on the email' you need to take ownership) apologise but mostly briefly but passionately describe why you want to be one the course and why you would be an asset.

Sounds stupid but I have friends who did this after getting rejected and got accepted.
Original post by ageshallnot
I think 'this is simply not believable' is more appropriate.

I genuinely thought it was next week. I am asking for advice. I know this is a mistake on my point and at the end of the day everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If people don't believe me then that up to them.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Georgie_M
Hmm... I'll just ignore this...

Regarding uni, email admissions and the course leader explain the situation, admit your mistake (do not say 'but it was only on the email' you need to take ownership) apologise but mostly briefly but passionately describe why you want to be one the course and why you would be an asset.

Sounds stupid but I have friends who did this after getting rejected and got accepted.

Would you be able to PM me more details in regards to this. For example what I should say and what exactly was your friends situation.
Would you be able to PM me more details in regards to this. For example what I should say and what exactly was your friends situation.

Don't really know what info you need PM me but I won't reply yet supposed to be writing my dissertation...
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Seriously, this may sound annoying and repetitive but you need to call them again. Make sure you get through to the right department and make sure you speak to someone who actually has any regards to this type of situation, not some lazy old reception staff that will give you generic information. You really need to plead to whomever it may concern and look for an alternative as soon as possible. Let me know if you've tried this and if you need anymore suggestions OP.

I sent an email late this morning and received a reply saying there were no more interview dates. I then rang the admissions number and got told the same. I will try again tomorrow but I don't know what else I can do so I do need some more suggestions.
Original post by Georgie_M
Don't really know what info you need PM me but I won't reply yet supposed to be writing my dissertation...

Just what else I can write to the uni in the email and what exactly happened to your friends as their decisions changed from a rejection to an offer. If your free later send me a PM if you don't mind. If you can't then it's fine as you've said you've got your dissertation to do.
How can you forget an interview!!?!? It determines your future! :tongue:
You should always be prepared beforehand and note down the important information.

The best way is to phone them and persuade to give you another chance.

Best of luck.
Original post by introvertperson
How can you forget an interview!!?!? It determines your future! :tongue:
You should always be prepared beforehand and note down the important information.

The best way is to phone them and persuade to give you another chance.

Best of luck.

I didn't completely forget about it I thought it was next week. I don't know how I am going to persuade them I phoned this afternoon and they are sayings they have no more interview dates. I don't know what else I can do.
I didn't completely forget about it I thought it was next week. I don't know how I am going to persuade them I phoned this afternoon and they are sayings they have no more interview dates. I don't know what else I can do.

If that is their response, you may have to resign yourself to the fact that there is no more you can do and reapply next year.
Reply 29
To be honest, it isn't what you want to hear but I'd recommend cutting your losses on this one.
Whether or not you did really know it was tomorrow and you're telling the truth, well- meh. Sorry.

You can try to explain that it was an honest mistake, but if they've concluded all interviews now, they probably won't let you beg your way in. You haven't said you have any extenuating circumstances for missing your interview so they don't have any reason to make an exception for you.

You know you've messed up, that's obvious. Even with the genuine mistake though, your timekeeping, scheduling and generally keeping track of your own life is your responsibility now. Learn from this and move on.

Ouch. Is this the only university you've applied to?
I sent an email late this morning and received a reply saying there were no more interview dates. I then rang the admissions number and got told the same. I will try again tomorrow but I don't know what else I can do so I do need some more suggestions.

Is the university far from you? Could you not travel there?

Try to get a specific number for your department rather than the admissions number. The person who answers the admissions phone isn't going to have the kind of authority to book an unscheduled interview into the interviewer's diary, but if you call the interviewer directly you'll be able to appeal to their humanity and are much less likely to get the reply of "I'm following procedure".

Oh and by the way, here's a website I think you'll find can help you out a lot.
(edited 10 years ago)
I missed a uni interview and was still given an offer. Not sure how common that is though unfortunately. :tongue:

Keep pestering them!
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Is the university far from you? Could you not travel there?

2 hours
Reply 35
Whether you did or didn't remember that the interview was today is irrelevant; blame-passing is a bad habit that you'd do well to nip in the bud now.

It's all well and good saying 'but it was only on the email', but the fact of the matter is that it was your responsibility to mark that date in your diary when you received the email. You're a big girl now, nobody is going to spoon-feed you when you get to uni and the blame for this lies with you. Not UCAS or the uni.

'But I'm stressed', 'but I've been ill', 'but but but...' - not good enough excuses for your clear lack of organisation, I'm afraid. We're all stressed, we all get sick. But we get on with it because that's what we have to do. You can ignore me and say I'm being harsh but that's life. You need to learn this now before you start trying to think of excuses when your lack of organisation means you're completing assignments too late, you're missing classes, etc.

I hope they give you another chance because we all make mistakes, but let this be a lesson to you. What are you hoping to study and where, if I may ask?
Reply 36
Sorry for the double post but I've just read through the thread you posted yesterday.

'I haven't prepared and I'm contemplating staying up all night' suggests to me that you DID know your interview was today but failed to prepare for it. That just reinforces my point that you're disorganised and are making up excuses!

What I think has happened here is that you stayed up to prepare but realised it was too little, too late. So, you thought you'd ring the uni to say you thought it was next week in an attempt to buy more time and the whole thing has backfired.

I'm going to be harsh again, I'm afraid. I saw you're applying for Primary Ed; that's an extremely competitive course and preference is going to be given to students who are a) organised and b) well-prepared. I suggest you reevaluate your reasons for wanting to go to uni. If this is truly something you really, really wanted, you would've prepared for your interview weeks ago and done everything you could to impress them.
I can't believe I have done this but I was meant to have an university interview today but totally forgot about it, I thought it was next week. I checked my emails today and seen that it was infant today. I emailed the university and rang them and they said they are not doing any more interviews.
I don't know what to do now? Would the uni be able to offer me another course which is similar as they won't give me another interview date?

Hi, me again.
I know you feel upset by what has happened, but it can't really be changed.
If you're really passionate about primary education though, there are many other universities out there that offer the course. The good news is that there is a chance that you can still have a chance to attend a primary education course. But, it may not be at the university that you want.
Is it possible you are willing to go through clearing to get a similar course but not necessarily at your desired Uni? If you are, then you need not wait until next year to reapply.

EDIT: There were a few places in clearing last year.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/clearing/10146204/University-Clearing-top-12-subjects-for-vacancies.html?frame=2250468
Hope this helps!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 38
Obviously a troll.... who forgets things like this.. .
Reply 39
I know how competitive Primary Education is, that's the degree I have offers for. By now most university's offering primary education already have full places and if you find it hard to go to your interviews then how will you cope when you have to do your qts tests ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending