The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Maths Interview at York?

Hi, so I recently got an invitation to do an interview and attend an afternoon at York Uni for maths, and if I do well I’ll get my offer reduced by one grade but I’ll still get an offer if either don’t go to the interview or don’t do great in it. I’m predicted 4 a stars and the York standard offer is AAB so it’s pretty likely I won’t need it to be reduced and I’m not sure I’ll even put it as my insurance. As it’s in November it’s mainly early applicants going so I’m presuming it’s more to persuade applicants to put York as their insurance. So does anyone know if it’s worth going to at all, in this situation - I would have to miss a day of college and it takes a good few hours each way to travel there, and also what the interview/afternoon is like?
Is there a chance that you will pick York as your insurance (and if so that you would choose to go there)?

Have you visited York before?

I would ALWAYS recommend using every opportunity to find out more about the university and city that you might end up spending 3+ years at.
University of York
York
Reply 2
Standard offer is AAA but if you do well in the interview they will reduce it to AAB. Also I think most of these interview days are held during half term so you won't miss anything. It will just be like a day out during the holidays.
I would go. As above, it's a good chance to research the uni firsthand and ultimately you don't know whether the potential grade reduction might save your bacon.
Original post by Random11_206
Hi, so I recently got an invitation to do an interview and attend an afternoon at York Uni for maths, and if I do well I’ll get my offer reduced by one grade but I’ll still get an offer if either don’t go to the interview or don’t do great in it. I’m predicted 4 a stars and the York standard offer is AAB so it’s pretty likely I won’t need it to be reduced and I’m not sure I’ll even put it as my insurance. As it’s in November it’s mainly early applicants going so I’m presuming it’s more to persuade applicants to put York as their insurance. So does anyone know if it’s worth going to at all, in this situation - I would have to miss a day of college and it takes a good few hours each way to travel there, and also what the interview/afternoon is like?

Hi!

If you can't make the interview, I'd recommend visiting York at some point. If you do get your offer through, you'll be invited to an Offer Holder Visit Day where you can have a look round campus and chat to staff and students in your department. We tend to run these between January and April and there will be weekend options so you won't have to miss college.

I think it's so much easier to get an idea of what a university is like when you visit. It made a difference to my firm and insurance choices after I visited a few places. On paper, somewhere might seem really good, but you have to feel at home there and having a look around/meeting staff and students is so useful!

Hazel :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending