The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bound 2
Do not be surprised if Suarez forces his way into 270 minutes of football in 8-9 days and then throws a tantrum when being taken off in injury time.

The likes of Gerrard, Sturridge, Coutinho will need rotating though I agree. In fairness to us, we often get the job done in the first half in some games so might not be too hard to give players half games...
It might not be an issue, if you guys have basically qualified and have a final game against a CL random, you may well not start Suarez or such for the CL and we'll face a full strength team, or you could end up with a group of death and like Arsenal be fighting till the end.

The CL produces some hard choices though, you look over the years how its cost us in the league in terms of injuries picked up to key players. A player like Rooney, who always wants to play, in 2009/10 played both legs of the Bayern game, injured himself twice, missed Chelsea and others, and we lost the league by a point and went out anyway. RVP this year, missed months because Moyes needed him to get us through.
Original post by Fizzel
It might not be an issue, if you guys have basically qualified and have a final game against a CL random, you may well not start Suarez or such for the CL and we'll face a full strength team, or you could end up with a group of death and like Arsenal be fighting till the end.

The CL produces some hard choices though, you look over the years how its cost us in the league in terms of injuries picked up to key players. A player like Rooney, who always wants to play, in 2009/10 played both legs of the Bayern game, injured himself twice, missed Chelsea and others, and we lost the league by a point and went out anyway. RVP this year, missed months because Moyes needed him to get us through.

Granted, and good examples.

Do you think you're getting top four this year? And who will be making way?
Original post by Bound 2
Atm no. We're in better shape than last year I would think, Moyes certainly dropped points which hopefully LVG won't, we only had Mata from end of Jan. Other than that we're still the same, and that's not going to be a 15 point swing. We'd need a LB, CB, and CM minimum for top 4, even then it depends on other teams strengthening. No way we're getting in at the expense of City or Chelsea, so it you guys or Arsenal we'd be aiming for. All about the window, which isn't looking great on the CM front.
After 3 seasons of starting our opening game away, we finally have our league opener at home. Cant wait to go watch LvG first game in charge at OT. Should be a great occasion. Our first 7 games look very pleasing and give LvG time to settle in and build up momentum. 3 promoted teams in the first 7 fixtures! March the 14th til the end of April looks daunting for us. Spurs, Liverpool, Aston Villa, Man City, Chelsea and Everton in April. Damn thats a tough 6 weeks in a row.

"Manchester United defender Alexander Buttner is in Russia with his agent to tie up a transfer to Dynamo Moscow.
"While United insist no deal has been done, it seems only a matter of time before the transfer is complete. Signed from Vitesse by Sir Alex Ferguson in 2012, Butter has struggled to establish himself at United.

"The 25-year-old has made 28 appearances in all competitions, scoring two goals, but with first-choice left-back Patrice Evra signing a one-year contract extension Buttner accepts he has no future at Old Trafford under new boss Louis van Gaal."

So we've pretty much bought Shaw?
Original post by samiz20891
Hopefully the other commitments of the other teams will mean they will have other priorities and there is some tiredness whilst we should be relatively fresh.

We have all 3 of the promoted teams in the first 6 fixtures which should be interesting.

Liverpool showed last season just how important momentum is, we should win all 6 of those games and that should kick start the Demoyesification process. Get some confidence back into the players and who knows where that can take us. If we aren't top of the league going into October something is badly wrong.
Original post by Bound 2
Granted, and good examples.

It's 2 from ourselves, Arsenal and Liverpool. Too hard to call who will miss out until signings have been made and the window has closed. There's no reason why we shouldn't be able to though.
Original post by sr90
Liverpool showed last season just how important momentum is, we should win all 6 of those games and that should kick start the Demoyesification process. Get some confidence back into the players and who knows where that can take us. If we aren't top of the league going into October something is badly wrong.

:awesome:
Original post by sr90

DeMoyesification ? Cracking word. Have some rep.

Incidentally with a tough run in we can get Strootman settled in from his January transfer :wink:
Original post by sr90

PRSOM
Easy start to the season at least 16/18 I'd expect then easy January and February but some hard months as well tough team in a row sometimes like I saw in October man city, Everton and Chelsea or something like that!
Original post by sr90

Original post by Fizzel

nope MU havent bought shaw and frankly i want Blind instead we should mabye bid for shaw and have him sent on a season loan at southampton then when he comes back evra will probably go. :smile: but i want blind though seems a good talent and i feel shaw is slightly overrated havent seen many stats to do with his defensive contribution as LVG likes attacking FB'S but wants them to be competent defenders too.
Original post by Fizzel

I would think it is agreed in principle tbh. I think the fact that LVG hasn't called Buttner up once for Holland and Patrice signing an extension has made it straightforward for him wanting to move as he feels LVG doesn't rate him as he plays other players from blind to Jetro Williems in that position.

Original post by sr90

I agree totally, we should be looking at at least 15 points from the first six games and I think the confidence will roll in and hope we at least play better at last year top 6 were our record was particularly poor.
A quick Stat: Chica now has not scored for Mexico in eleven outings.
Original post by Old_Simon

Crazy considering hes there top scorer

First thing LVG should do, teach Chica the offside rule, the number of chances that he wastes by constantly being offside, its crazy considering hes been with us for 4 years

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Old_Simon

I remember when Chica used to be the fans favourite. I'd say De Gea/Januzaj have stole that title off him now.
Original post by diggy
Crazy considering hes there top scorer

First thing LVG should do, teach Chica the offside rule, the number of chances that he wastes by constantly being offside, its crazy considering hes been with us for 4 years

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ronnie's offside record was the worst the EPL has ever seen I think. There is something to be said for being on top of the last defender. :wink:
Original post by sr90
It's 2 from ourselves, Arsenal and Liverpool. Too hard to call who will miss out until signings have been made and the window has closed. There's no reason why we shouldn't be able to though.

I don't think you're in close contention personally.

I have Liverpool finishing top two again, and Arsenal are not going to drop much, if at all, from their 79 points.

The thing that scares me most though is LVG getting the most out of RVP. van Persie is outstanding and I really cba for him scoring goals again. I quite prefer him on the sidelines.

Also I think his header is a bit overrated. Great header but not super incredible. Overrated because of the position he takes after he's already headed the ball.
if you can fix that back line and midfield then you're certainly back in it

don't want to imagine what van gaal is going to do with Iscariot next season, Iscariot will touch 30 goals easy.

Latest