The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Flexible combined honours question

I was just checking out Exeter's website and it says that for PPE in your first year, you have a few compulsory modules, and 30 credits that you need to fill with optional modules. From what I understood, those modules could be from completely different departments/subjects. Is my thinking correct? I'm a rather well-rounded guy and I'd like to do something like a language or a bit of science on top of PPE so it'd be great!
(Also, just hypothetically: could you take more than the 120 credits per year ? Say I don't like eating, sleeping and taking care of other basic needs, could I fill the saved up time with taking more modules?)
No, 120 credits is the maximum and only number of credits you could take. The University does advise eating and sleeping ;-) and tbh if you really want to fill your time with study and nothing else, you can read further around a subject and do more towards your modules.

To the best of my knowledge, yes those 30 credits could be in anything. However, PPE is a new one to me as it wasn't in existence when I was involved with the degree so do check.

However, do think before you decide on them. A language would be an ideal one to do, however, with something like science, for 30 credits, you really wouldn't be getting the breadth needed, and you will find that come semester 2 or year 2/3 etc. you won't have done the module needed in order to take much in the way of science. It gets a bit trickier in second/third year but that's something you will understand more when you get to that point.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Original post by GooglyEyedMonster
No, 120 credits is the maximum and only number of credits you could take. The University does advise eating and sleeping ;-) and tbh if you really want to fill your time with study and nothing else, you can read further around a subject and do more towards your modules.

To the best of my knowledge, yes those 30 credits could be in anything. However, PPE is a new one to me as it wasn't in existence when I was involved with the degree so do check.

However, do think before you decide on them. A language would be an ideal one to do, however, with something like science, for 30 credits, you really wouldn't be getting the breadth needed, and you will find that come semester 2 or year 2/3 etc. you won't have done the module needed in order to take much in the way of science. It gets a bit trickier in second/third year but that's something you will understand more when you get to that point.

Thank you, that was very informative :smile: Could you maybe tell me what extra-curriculars are like at Exeter? I know there are some societies, but from what my friends told me, they don't take themselves very seriously, and whilst I do want to have as much fun as possible, it wouldn't hurt to polish up my CV as well :biggrin:
Original post by dreamer959
Thank you, that was very informative :smile: Could you maybe tell me what extra-curriculars are like at Exeter? I know there are some societies, but from what my friends told me, they don't take themselves very seriously, and whilst I do want to have as much fun as possible, it wouldn't hurt to polish up my CV as well :biggrin:

There are lots and lots of societies at Exeter, with a wide range of subject matters. This includes on specifically for Flexible Combined Honours, I set up the FCH society personally.

Yes, some are basically the equivalent of year long pub crawls, but you will get that at any university. Its just a case of having a look at squash, see what they are all about, and joining what you fancy.

There are also student committees you can become a part of, as well as opportunities within your departments that you can get involved in.

My CV is pretty full with extra curriculars - and I can't drink alcohol so there is plenty of other stuff going on besides the silly stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending