The Student Room Group

Should I change degrees?

I've been studying Biomedical Science at uni, but I just don't care about it. I started the degree in 2010, but after changing degrees once and changing back and doing it part time + working full time and then taking a year off to live overseas, I returned to start my second year in Feb 2014 (if I kept at it, I'd finish at the end of 2015). I'm halfway through the semester but I just can't do it anymore. As you can see from the fact it took me 4 years to finish my first year, my heart was never really into it. I wanted to finish it to say I'd finished it but I'm aiming at 50% just to pass and I don't know why I'm wasting my time and money doing something that I don't like and don't even want to do as a career anymore.

I've been struggling with making a decision for years and especially the last few months since I've been back. My real passion lies in cinema, so I was thinking of changing to a film degree. It doesn't really fit my personality, but maybe I'd care about it more. I hear people at uni talking about science and they are so passionate and are really interested in it, and I just could not care less. I like science, but I just don't care about it.

I prefer working to studying but the job I am currently in is only casual with no way to move to full-time. So, do I withdraw from my unit now and try and get into a film degree? Do I finish this semester even though I'm not even paying attention to it anymore and it's making me depressed? I don't know what to do :frown:
Honestly, I generally advise people to stick it out and complete their degree when they want to drop out/change, however in your case I don't think it would do you any favours. Gibing this degree up and changing to another would be far more beneficial to you than sticking this one out and getting a third. I would finish the semester, lets face it, it's only a few more weeks, but I'd look into options surrounding film. What makes you say it doesn't fit your personality? No one type of person likes film!
Reply 2
In your case, I say drop it. It is wasting your time and money and you know you want to do something else.
Try to take some time out to organise your thoughts so that you really know that the next degree or course of study is what you really want to do.
Reply 3
How would you change it? Are you privately funding yourself? From your description it sounds like you have used your entitlement to student finance :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending