The Student Room Group

Are foundation years covered by student loans?

Usually you can get student loans to help with doing a degree however if it was a foundation year 0 would that specific year qualify for student loans? Or will it have to be integrated?
Original post by Matilda612
Usually you can get student loans to help with doing a degree however if it was a foundation year 0 would that specific year qualify for student loans? Or will it have to be integrated?

yes it should do in most cases
Yes, but be warned it uses your gift year up. You are entitled to 1 gift year +degree length. It is better if the foundation year is integrated into the degree.
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
Yes, but be warned it uses your gift year up. You are entitled to 1 gift year +degree length. It is better if the foundation year is integrated into the degree.

I'm sorry I didn't understand a word of that...
Original post by Matilda612
I'm sorry I didn't understand a word of that...

Students will get funding for a full degree length + 1 gift year which they can have in reserve in case they change their mind, have to repeat etc.

So imagine I start UNi and didnt like the course. If I then changed course I could use the gift year to be used against the course I was leaving plus still have funding for the whole of my new degree.

In the situation of a separate foundation year, then the gift year is used up to fund the foundation degree, which leaves you with full funding for the degree you move onto, but you do not have the option of a gift year anymore because its been used on the foundation.

In contrast if I took a course that had in its title [ subject] with foundation year, then that is part of the degree, so that sort of foundation year would not use up your gift year and you would still have that intact.

You should be aware of what sort of foundation year it is. Standalone or integrated, then you know the impact on your available uni funding.
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
Students will get funding for a full degree length + 1 gift year which they can have in reserve in case they change their mind, have to repeat etc.

So imagine I start UNi and didnt like the course. If I then changed course I could use the gift year to be used against the course I was leaving plus still have funding for the whole of my new degree.

In the situation of a separate foundation year, then the gift year is used up to fund the foundation degree, which leaves you with full funding for the degree you move onto, but you do not have the option of a gift year anymore because its been used on the foundation.

In contrast if I took a course that had in its title [ subject] with foundation year, then that is part of the degree, so that sort of foundation year would not use up your gift year and you would still have that intact.

You should be aware of what sort of foundation year it is. Standalone or integrated, then you know the impact on your available uni funding.

ah thanks so much, I've been searching for an answer for so long. But I do have 1 question. Do I have to tell student finance that I'm doing a separate foundation year now?

Quick Reply

Latest