The Student Room Group

Ranking Scottish unis from best to worst (to prove a point)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Sir Fox
Dundee has a number of departments and subjects that are in the top tier UK wide, some even world class. This includes medicine, dentistry and life science/pharmacology/biological research (all world class), and law, engineering, and art and design.

I'm not an expert on uni reputation, but I am not aware of any world class subjects at Strathclyde or Heriot-Watt, despite both doing reasonably well (HW) and very good (Strath) nationally.

That's why, purely subjectively, I'd put Dundee a notch above those two.

Yeah fair enough I guess. I did hear HW is pretty strong for Chem eng, and strath chemeng as well as business. But then again its hard to compare engineering vs life sciences.
1 - St Andrews, Edinburgh, Glasgow
2 - Strathclyde, Heroit Watt
3 - Aberdeen, Dundee, Stirling
4 - RGU, Caledonian, Abertay
5 - UWS, UHI
Original post by MathsAndCoffee
1 - St Andrews, Edinburgh, Glasgow
2 - Strathclyde, Heroit Watt
3 - Aberdeen, Dundee, Stirling
4 - RGU, Caledonian, Abertay
5 - UWS, UHI

Strathclyde and Heriot Watt better than Aberdeen and Dundee? :lolwut:
Original post by Sir Fox

I'm going on entry requirements for most courses and how close they are to the central belt.
I'm going on entry requirements for most courses and how close they are to the central belt.

That doesn't make any sense at all in determining how good a university is.
Original post by Sir Fox

His avatar is sideways on. Had you entertained high hopes?
Original post by Sir Fox

It's my personal preference. So long as I'm happy with it's all that matters.

If you only accept a higher calibre of Student, they will be more likely to succeed in there education and therefore receive and complete a good degree.

If a university is closer to the central belt, their more likely to receive grants and research funding from abroad. Which provides money to invest in the Student Experience. Taking your example Aberdeen will lose a lot of funding from the likes of Shell and BP over the coming years, as a lot of oil rigs are beginning to be de-commissioned and this is not considering withdrawal from the European Union.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by cambio wechsel
His avatar is sideways on. Had you entertained high hopes?

For a man of the church, your quite picky when it comes to young boys.
For a man of the church, your quite picky when it comes to young boys.

well your (or you're) the first person to accuse me of that.

Spoiler

Reply 29
Original post by Sir Fox

This was my reaction also.
For general quality of educational experience.

Tier 1 - Strathclyde, GCU, Dundee, Aberdeen
Tier 2 - Edinburgh, Glasgow, Open University
Tier 3 - Napier, UWS, Heriot Watt, Abertay,
Tier 4 - UHI, QMU
Reply 31
Can anyone give me a reason why QMU is always so low on the list?
I am applying to them alone for physiotherapy in 2018 die to location and y2k family but I always thought they were a good uni in that subject.
Original post by aggiem
Can anyone give me a reason why QMU is always so low on the list?
I am applying to them alone for physiotherapy in 2018 die to location and y2k family but I always thought they were a good uni in that subject.

+1

I want to apply for Business because I like the accommodation and I've got a friend there. But everyone tells me to go to Exeter Bath or St Andrews so I don't know :s-smilie:
Reply 33
Original post by Babyplease
+1

I want to apply for Business because I like the accommodation and I've got a friend there. But everyone tells me to go to Exeter Bath or St Andrews so I don't know :s-smilie:

Tbh, you should not be applying to a uni because you like the accomm and you know someone there. Course content and structure should be extremely high on your list of priorities for a good uni for you.
Reply 34
it is a relatively new uni, 10 years old, soaybe that is partially why.
I have heard many good things about it recently though.
Original post by Airmed
Tbh, you should not be applying to a uni because you like the accomm and you know someone there. Course content and structure should be extremely high on your list of priorities for a good uni for you.

I mean, he told me that the teachers really care about the students and its a good environment. The program is likely to be the same as in other unis although St. Andrews program is way better
Original post by aggiem
it is a relatively new uni, 10 years old, soaybe that is partially why.
I have heard many good things about it recently though.

You think so? At least it does appear in thecompleteuniversity ranking although its number 104 hahaha
One wonders whether all these people who've put UHI at the bottom actually know anything about the place. It does some great courses (its Gaelic, heritage and marine sciences degrees are particularly well regarded in the UK and abroad).
Reply 38
Original post by Snufkin
One wonders whether all these people who've put UHI at the bottom actually know anything about the place. It does some great courses (its Gaelic, heritage and marine sciences degrees are particularly well regarded in the UK and abroad).

Thank you for that, I fully agree. Depending on your field, UHI is one of the top places in the UK, for example one of its research centres came first in Scotland in the field of Area Studies in the REF 2014. At international conferences, people talk to me about the high quality of research and programmes UHI offers in our field, and I wonder if people simply think „new uni, can‘t be good“? Or maybe the structure with different centres and academic partners just doesn‘t suit the traditional league tables very well?
Tier 1: St.Andrews, Edinburgh, Glasgow
Tier 2: Dundee, Aberdeen, Strathclyde, Stirling, Heriot-Watt
Tier 3: Caley, Napier, Abertay, West of Scotland
Tier 4: Highland and Islands, Queen Margaret

I understand the explicit ranking of such universities, for example, Edinburgh and Glasgow are miles, miles ahead of the West of Scotland. However, Abertay is two tiers lower than Edinburgh and co. yet is one of best universities in the world for game designs, certainly the best in Europe. So when you’re comparing universities, it is absolutely essential you compare departments: everyone parties at every campus uni, everyone can get a 2:1/firsts at the above unis, anyone can enjoy the same subject at different universities, what matters is you go to an open day and find as much information as possible.

Quick Reply

Latest