The Student Room Group

Tips for studying university modules

I'd like some revision tips for a module I'm studying at university... There are so many theories to learn and a lot of the content is so complicated and hard to understand. I have written notes and I'm using flash cards but they are not helping at all.

It's just there's so much to learn and I can't really miss out on anything, I have final exams in 3 weeks and I'm very worried... I've never felt like this for any university exam before, none of them come as close to this in terms of amount of content.
Reply 1
I'm in a similar boat. Having never really done revision before, I'm having to memorise quite a lot of information at university. Any help would be appreciated :smile:.
You really just need to break it down into small chunks and take it a part at a time. You might find it helpful to make mind maps or posters summarizing what you're trying to learn. Flashcards are okay, but being active with your revision (draw stuff, link things with arrows etc) is more likely to help than just reading notes and trying to memorise.

In the past I have also assigned silly quotes or one word reminders to my notes to help me remember a section (I write stuff in the margins during lectures to that effect too) and create associations between things. I had a module last year where I needed to learn a really complicated molecular pathway and I just could not make it stick, every time I thought I knew it I'd try to test myself and forget it all again; in the end, I came up with hand gestures for each step :tongue: I think I looked silly in the exam, but it worked.

So yeah, you just have to come up with some techniques that work better for you if what you're currently doing isn't working.
Reply 3
Original post by heidigirl
You really just need to break it down into small chunks and take it a part at a time. You might find it helpful to make mind maps or posters summarizing what you're trying to learn. Flashcards are okay, but being active with your revision (draw stuff, link things with arrows etc) is more likely to help than just reading notes and trying to memorise.

In the past I have also assigned silly quotes or one word reminders to my notes to help me remember a section (I write stuff in the margins during lectures to that effect too) and create associations between things. I had a module last year where I needed to learn a really complicated molecular pathway and I just could not make it stick, every time I thought I knew it I'd try to test myself and forget it all again; in the end, I came up with hand gestures for each step :tongue: I think I looked silly in the exam, but it worked.

So yeah, you just have to come up with some techniques that work better for you if what you're currently doing isn't working.

Repped for the advice and because you're a Tim Minchin fan <3.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending