The Student Room Group

Achieving 80% in my 3rd year - aerospace Engineering

Hey,

So to simply say it I did **** in my second year of University. In order to achieve a 1st overall I'll need to achieve at least 80%.

I had a few toxic friends which essentially didn't help my mental health so I crammed for my exams (and failed a few so I had to resit). I know if I just studied hard from the start of the year I could do so much better. Also if anybody has any tips on how to essentially 'block the toxicity' so I can concentrate on my studies that would also be a real help.

I know it will be difficult but I want to at least try and challenge myself this year. I also do have a few outside commitments such as societies and I am also working on some of the goals I set out for myself at the beginning of the University as well (yet again didn't even think about them since my mental health was in a **** hole).

I understand it is no one's fault but mine that I am in this position so I do want to work hard just to prove to myself that I can do it.

Went on a bit of a tangent there. But I was asking:

1. Any tips on achieving 80+ in all my modules
2. Heard it's super hard to achieve 80+ on the final project, but if any has any tips on how to do that or even get a grade that close to 80 that would be great
3. If anybody has any ways to deal with the toxicity then that would be wonderful as well (I can't cut them off either without them causing huge drama which in turn will definitely affect my mental Well-being)
Original post by Anonymous
Hey,

So to simply say it I did **** in my second year of University. In order to achieve a 1st overall I'll need to achieve at least 80%.

I had a few toxic friends which essentially didn't help my mental health so I crammed for my exams (and failed a few so I had to resit). I know if I just studied hard from the start of the year I could do so much better. Also if anybody has any tips on how to essentially 'block the toxicity' so I can concentrate on my studies that would also be a real help.

I know it will be difficult but I want to at least try and challenge myself this year. I also do have a few outside commitments such as societies and I am also working on some of the goals I set out for myself at the beginning of the University as well (yet again didn't even think about them since my mental health was in a **** hole).

I understand it is no one's fault but mine that I am in this position so I do want to work hard just to prove to myself that I can do it.

2. Heard it's super hard to achieve 80+ on the final project, but if any has any tips on how to do that or even get a grade that close to 80 that would be great
3. If anybody has any ways to deal with the toxicity then that would be wonderful as well (I can't cut them off either without them causing huge drama which in turn will definitely affect my mental Well-being)

It's important to be realistic here, how many times have you scored 80+ in modules so far ? This is not typically a thing you can just turn on and off.
Honestly, getting even 75% across the board is a considerably achievement and not that easy. As above unless you've been consistently reaching that but had one term blip where you got minimal passes, it's probably not realistic.

You may need to manage your expectations here and focus on a more realistic goal of a 2:1. Fortunately in general graduate schemes don't particularly seem to care if you got a 1st or a 2:1 and just want you to have a 2:1 to tick that box and then focus on other aspects of your application. So getting a 2:1 isn't really going to be any great barrier.

Aiming for a 2:1 also gives you more leeway to ensure you don't burnout, and also more time to start putting together your CV, identifying roles to apply to and preparing a good application for them, and maybe picking up a few activities that might be useful in that realm in terms of developing transferable skills or having a bit more work experience (although, hopefully you have done an internship already or you may find it challenging regardless of what classification you get).
Original post by Anonymous
Hey,

I'm guessing that you need 80 in your final year to get an overall average of 70? Check your degree regulations to see if there are alternative methods of classification that might work in your favour. Something like "at least 100 credits in the higher class mark at level 6".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending