The Student Room Group

does anyone else not really enjoy law?

i like most modules except constitutional, four weeks in and i feel like i haven’t learned a thing and i hate it so much but to be fair every degree has aspects which are boring so kind of have to stick with it
i just feel like the reading makes no sense, is this normal?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
i like most modules except constitutional, four weeks in and i feel like i haven’t learned a thing and i hate it so much but to be fair every degree has aspects which are boring so kind of have to stick with it

If you have never studied law before (and even if you have), law degrees can be surprisingly full-on with the amount of reading, and understanding of complex areas, you need and some of it will not be overly exciting. I expect many of the other students in your year will be finding some of it boring. What is good, is that you like most modules! As you say, stick with it - in other words, don't concentrate on just the bits you like. Online (eg Law Gazette), there are likely to be law blogs/posts that you could find useful.
The impression I always got from others doing law at uni was the hardest part of it was convincing themselves they were actually interested in the subject matter and not just the purported career at the end.

In any event though on any degree there will be invariably some required modules you aren't that interested in and don't like. It's essentially inescapable. But most degrees give you more latitude towards the final year(s) to select more of the modules yourself and thus tailor the course to something more fitting to your interests.
Original post by Anonymous

Hi there

As a law student I can say that there have been times where I was really struggling with my degree.

Most students will have modules that they like and dislike. It is important to keep in mind why you chose the subject. (For my first year we did not have the option on what modules to study, however, I was able to choose optional modules in second and third year which I found more interesting).

Since you are in first year, your University may have an academic mentor system where you can reach out to another law student for tips and advice~ try to make use of this. :smile: There will often be other opportunities where you can get help from, so do get in touch if you need support.

I definitely found the reading material difficult in first year as I came from a non-law background. Firstly, I would recommend paying attention to lectures, these often form the basis of my understandings. Even if you do not understand the readings, try your best to attend seminars, it often helps to hear seminar leaders and students discuss the work. (Do not get put off just because some students seem to know more, some will come from a law background so they may have prior knowledge). Just keep completing your readings to the best of your abilities, make notes as you go and you will improve and gain an in depth understanding of the content overtime.

I hope this helps. :smile: Good luck with your studies. :biggrin:
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending