The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Qari
Calculations I'm okay except at times on magnetic fields.
Worded questions I mess up.

Ah I see, I always mess up on phase difference questions :/ and yes magnetic and electric fields ...sigh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Original post by RainieXD
Ah I see, I always mess up on phase difference questions :/ and yes magnetic and electric fields ...sigh

Posted from TSR Mobile

electric fields I'm okay.

and phase difference it's always n/2 if it's velocity and displacement i think
Could someone help me with the Unit 4 2014 june paper section B, Q1 c?? I don't understand the mark scheme either :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You sure you meant 2014?
Reply 43
Original post by NedStark
You sure you meant 2014?

Ah sorry, my bad - I meant the June 2013 paper

Original post by Qari
electric fields I'm okay.

and phase difference it's always n/2 if it's velocity and displacement i think

Uhmm could you explain what you mean by n/2? I saw this in the mark scheme and I have no clue what it's for..
Reply 44

Uhmm could you explain what you mean by n/2? I saw this in the mark scheme and I have no clue what it's for..

i figure it out because when displacement is 0 velocity is max and when velocity is 0 displacement is max. so the difference between when displacemnt is 0 and velocity is 0. it's normally n/2

The question about the 2 pendulum?

How I did it was firstly to work the time difference out which is 0.1s. The 1.9 pendulum will complete the oscillation 0.1s faster than that 2.0 pendulum.

The 2nd oscillation will be completed 0.2s ahead and 3rd 0.3s ahead etc.

The question asks how long until the faster pendulum will come back level with the slower pendulum. If you keep going with the oscillations then by the 20th oscillation the faster pendulum will be 2.0s ahead of the slower pendulum. That's basically starting from the beginning.

So it takes the 1.90s pendulum 20 oscillations. 20x1.90= 38s
Reply 46

How I did it was firstly to work the time difference out which is 0.1s. The 1.9 pendulum will complete the oscillation 0.1s faster than that 2.0 pendulum.

The question asks how long until the faster pendulum will come back level with the slower pendulum. If you keep going with the oscillations then by the 20th oscillation the faster pendulum will be 2.0s ahead of the slower pendulum. That's basically starting from the beginning.

That's how I did it.
LCM
Could anyone tell me, do you use Flemings left hand rule if dealing with F=BIL, and do you use Flemings Right Hand Rule if dealing with F=BQV?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jimmy20002012
Could anyone tell me, do you use Flemings left hand rule if dealing with F=BIL, and do you use Flemings Right Hand Rule if dealing with F=BQV?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you always use Flemings left hand rule, my book has never covered the right hand rule (CGP) so I guess it's not necessary
Reply 49

Original post by Qari
i figure it out because when displacement is 0 velocity is max and when velocity is 0 displacement is max. so the difference between when displacemnt is 0 and velocity is 0. it's normally n/2

Omg that took me a whilleeeee to understand :s-smilie: but thanks guys! i finally get it :smile: I was getting confused as to why 20t was used and not 10, but I guess at 10 it would mean they would be half way out of phase?.. Anyways thanks so much! :smile:
Reply 50
Omg that took me a whilleeeee to understand :s-smilie: but thanks guys! i finally get it :smile: I was getting confused as to why 20t was used and not 10, but I guess at 10 it would mean they would be half way out of phase?.. Anyways thanks so much! :smile:

I used LCM. As in the lowest common multiple. When is it that both pendulum will have the same time
Reply 51
I think you always use Flemings left hand rule, my book has never covered the right hand rule (CGP) so I guess it's not necessary

Revision Guide or Text Book?
Reply 52
Original post by Qari
I used LCM. As in the lowest common multiple. When is it that both pendulum will have the same time

Ohhh I see, I'll do that then. The mark scheme just confused me over lol
Original post by Qari
Revision Guide or Text Book?

The text book version but even then it's still dummed down a bit. I've also done all the past papers and never required the right hand rule but don't take my word on this.
Reply 54
Anyone know how to do MC of june 2013 Q 13? The one with masses M and 4M, i try to add g=Gm/r^2 for both M and 4M and then equate to 0, but then I just end up with a long formula like this :frown:
5y^2 + d^2 -2dy=0
I'm sure it shouldn't be this hard for a MC question :s-smilie: ..?
Reply 55
For those wondering about the pendulum question - if you memorise this formula and possibly learn how to derive it, you will not need to worry.

PhysicsCALL76LY.pdf
Reply 56
Original post by spiruel
For those wondering about the pendulum question - if you memorise this formula and possibly learn how to derive it, you will not need to worry.

PhysicsCALL76LY.pdf

if you use that n2 = T1/T2-T1
it doesn't work because 1.9/0.1 = 19 not 38
Reply 57
Original post by Qari
if you use that n2 = T1/T2-T1
it doesn't work because 1.9/0.1 = 19 not 38

1.91.951.90=38\dfrac{1.9}{1.95-1.90}=38
Reply 58
Original post by spiruel
1.91.951.90=38\dfrac{1.9}{1.95-1.90}=38

wasn't it 2.0 and 1.9
Reply 59
Original post by Qari
wasn't it 2.0 and 1.9

Sorry, I'm getting mixed up with a multiple choice question with the same answer.

The formula T1T2T1\dfrac{T_1}{T_2-T_1} that I use calculates the number of oscillations, n2n_2. Of course, to work out the minimum time until it's in phase again, you need to do 19×2=3819\times2=38 seconds (not oscillations like a different mult. choice question.)
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending