The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Glasgow or Edinburgh?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by pmc:producer
The bulk of this is totally irreverent, i.e. the whole library situation - that again, was mentioned for anyone reading on, not to back her in to a corner. League tables, prestige are totally subjective and should not be taken as gospel, something I've said from the start.

I'm not cross, I'm on an internet forum and Facebook! Hardly anything to be worked up over :lol: Curt yes, only because it's the most efficient means of conversation when there's such massive scope for going round in circles.

As long as we're all enjoying out degrees, good times.

I apologise if what I've written is mostly irrelevant gibberish, I do have a tendency to talk rubbish late at night. Indeed. I rarely ever get involved in arguments about prestige, status and that kind of thing. It's all quite childish and pointless. Quality graduates will always rise to the top, regardless of which university they chose to attend. As you say: just enjoy your degree.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by Caedus
I apologise if what I've written is mostly irrelevant gibberish, I do have a tendency to talk rubbish late at night. Indeed. I rarely ever get involved in arguments about prestige, status and that kind of thing. It's all quite childish and pointless. Quality graduates will always rise to the top, regardless of which university they chose to attend. As you say: just enjoy your degree.

For the most part, we can agree - the cream always rises. And outside TSR, I don't think I've ever come across a prestige/status argument, thankfully.
Reply 22
My word Ambry, I fully understand what you were 'getting at'. You were simply wrong in some aspects, i.e. telling us Glasgow had one library - harmless but a point I felt needed picking up on since you deemed it a worth exclusion criteria. A poor city reputation reflects negatively on that city's University - again, wrong. The whole 'prestige' thing - I asked what measured prestige, and if it was league tables, distributed said rankings. And you've chopped and changed you mind regarding what employers have told you they wanted - firstly one firm told you to go to Edinburgh, then a few, then the only universities represented were Edinburgh and St. Andrews (meaningless) - again I picked up on this. For example, McKinsey were in the other month talking to the class of 2015 at Glasgow Uni, they're a top Consultancy firm who take MBAs straight from Harvard, Stanford, LBS and the like, does that make Glasgow better than Edinburgh or any other on par Uni they didn't visit? Of course not.

I've not personally attacked you, I've simply told you when you've been wrong (in my eyes).

You picked a university which was right for you, that's how universities should be picked... But you simply can say/suggest/imply any of the above and not expect to be challenged (as much for readers of this seeking information as anything else).

I hope you're enjoying University and making the most of the multiculturalism! Let's not go round in circles anymore, I simple felt the need to point out a few things in case it's coming across like I'm vilifying you for offering help to someone seeking it.

It is alright man, I understand how good Glasgow is. I did say 'may' have the edge in my posts, I never said it did. I have no doubt that Glasgow graduates will be able to get into really good law firms and companies worldwide. I just want to clear a few wee tiny things up before I put all this to bed - First, I never actually said that Glasgow only had one library. I said that I think the law library 'is in with the main library'. I know there are other libraries at the university, it is just that I have been to the main library and I remember seeing the law section was in it.

As for chopping and changing my mind, first I said employers had told me they preferred Edinburgh graduates - I then gave ONE EXAMPLE of an employer, Hogan Lovell's, then I gave other examples in other posts. I then said that the main Scottish representatives at the London firms I visited were from St Andrews and Edinburgh. I don't really think this is chopping and changing, considering how in the first post I was mainly discussing the pros and cons of Edinburgh and Glasgow so I felt no need to include St Andrews in that equation. I know this continues across a few posts so it may look like I am chopping and changing, but I am only adding to the experiences I have had. I know Glasgow graduates do get employed in firms worldwide, I was simply going from my own experiences and saying I had not noticed much talk of Glasgow graduates in London. I don't understand why they didn't really have any to be honest... In Scotland I know it is a totally different story, with Glasgow and Edinburgh law graduates facing very good prospects.

You can definitely challenge my opinion, I just think the way you did it was perhaps not the best way to go about it. I do appreciate, however, that you have a lot of knowledge about Glasgow and you are putting across how good of a university it is - and I certainly don't deny that it is very good. I never claimed to be an expert, you do have more experience of uni life than I do.

I think both of our posts have only really added more positive points for both universities and why they would be a good choice, so now OP has a pretty clear view of both places and understands that they are each brilliant universities in their own right. Anyone who works hard at either place will have good career prospects.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ambry
I think both of our posts have only really added more positive points for both universities and why they would be a good choice, so now OP has a pretty clear view of both places and understands that they are each brilliant universities in their own right. Anyone who works hard at either place will have good career prospects.

Fair statement right here. Glad it's been put to bed before it's turned in to a 'Glasgow Vs Edinburgh' thread!
Original post by moonwalker
After reading this post and the replies, I'm in a similar dilemma. Apart from one big factor - I got rejected for the University of Edinburgh.

I visited the University of Glasgow, and it seemed quite shabby inside, like run down or something as though it needed re-furnished. The people however, were very friendly apart from one experience within the University that entirely put me off.

Originally, I wanted to go to Edinburgh, but they said my grades weren't good enough - 5 a*s, 5 a's and one b at gcse; AAA at AS level and I've taken on an extra AS to add to my grades that I'll achieve by August of this year.

Is Edinburgh not supposed to be more prestigious than Glasgow university though?

Hey I have applied to both unis for postgraduate course and could use some advice from the insiders!

I'd like to study theatre. I know the famous festival in Edinburgh, which is why I apply for the course in UoE at the first place. Yet, the course from UofG has more practical involvement and I wonder if this is going to be more helpful for future job seeking. Anyway, I just want to know if anyone who actually goes to either of these unis notice or have an opinion on which one might be better for theatre study, especially if I'd like to find a job in the theatre industry after graduation?

I'm an international student so I only receive limited information. It'd be nice if someone can share their personal experience with me! Thank you!
Edinburgh is better than Glasgow though!
I think you need to have straight A's maybe thats why you didnt get in
I think you need to have straight A's maybe thats why you didnt get in bc you got 1 b
Original post by moonwalker
After reading this post and the replies, I'm in a similar dilemma. Apart from one big factor - I got rejected for the University of Edinburgh.

I visited the University of Glasgow, and it seemed quite shabby inside, like run down or something as though it needed re-furnished. The people however, were very friendly apart from one experience within the University that entirely put me off.

Originally, I wanted to go to Edinburgh, but they said my grades weren't good enough - 5 a*s, 5 a's and one b at gcse; AAA at AS level and I've taken on an extra AS to add to my grades that I'll achieve by August of this year.

Is Edinburgh not supposed to be more prestigious than Glasgow university though?

I think you need straight As to get into edinburugh
Original post by Carysconway
I think you need straight As to get into edinburugh

bro this is a 7 year old thread
This conversation is dead in the water, but I'll comment in red to clarify a few things.

You are a knob

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending