The Student Room Group
University of Chichester
University of Chichester
Chichester

I'm a current student at the University of Chichester if anyone has any questions :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by charlieboygib
Hi, coming to Chichester Uni in Sept. Coming from Gibraltar so not a UK student although just been in Birmingham for 2 yrs at UCB getting my btec. I wanted a catered room but only got a self catering room. Food. Can you get a meal plan and pay in advance like my friend has done in Chester Uni? i can't find any info on their webpage
thanks

Thats what self-catered means - you cook your own food. Yes, there will be places you can buy cooked food or sandwiches but a meal-plan isn't something that UK Unis do UNLESS you are living in a Catered Hall.
University of Chichester
University of Chichester
Chichester
Reply 21
Original post by returnmigrant
Thats what self-catered means - you cook your own food. Yes, there will be places you can buy cooked food or sandwiches but a meal-plan isn't something that UK Unis do UNLESS you are living in a Catered Hall.

How annoying! I wanted self catered and got catered which is too expensive for me and I have been very unhappy but had to get used to the idea as the uni said I wasn't allowed to swap even though I said that if someone else wasn't happy with there room couldn't we swap. Seems to silly cos if you and me were allowed to swap we'd be much happier!
Sort it out at the start of term - find this person, or anyone else who wants to swap, and both of you go to the Accomm Office together to sort it out.
Reply 23
Hey, I got an unconditional offer from chichester to do English literature. Do you guys know anything about the course? Is it a good uni? thanks 😊
Reply 24
Original post by Kaydan
Hey, I got an unconditional offer from chichester to do English literature. Do you guys know anything about the course? Is it a good uni? thanks ������

Course is split into 8 modules, with four being done each semester. Each module has an hour lecture and an hour seminar a week, so only 8 contact hours. Some people find this too little, but tutors are always happy to chat with you so it isn't that bad imho. If it's anything like my first year I had one exam in the first semester and then two exams in the second, with the rest being essays and a presentation being thrown in at one point. I hate exams so this was good for me.
Work load is probably average, but especially in the second semester there are quite a lot of books to read so it's really helpful to get them all read over Christmas (and for semester 1, over summer) otherwise you get bogged down and life starts to suck.

I'm biased because I go here but I think it's a good uni, especially for the English department (the admin are lovely as well). Chichester is a really nice place in general and the fact it's a small uni means you get to know quite a lot of people really well from pretty much every course the uni offers.
If you need to relax there are like 30 sports teams, some have both competitive and recreational squads, and it's a great way to make friends with the same interests and you become like a small family :smile:
Reply 25
Hey! I'll be coming to Chichester to study English lit in September :smile:
Do you have any advice about buying and books and which ones I'll definitely need to read before I start? Chichester was my insurance so I'm in a bit of a rush to sort my books out now haha.
Hello guys,

I am just coming to the end of my Masters degree (Sport & Exercise Psychology) at Chichester - living off-campus so I don't know much about the accommodation side of things, but if anyone's got any questions about anything I can do my best to answer. :smile:

Either way - enjoy your time at Chichester! It might be small and people might not find the nightlife as great as in bigger university cities, but I can say without a doubt that I have become closer friends in my years at Chichester (I took 2 years to do my MSc, after having to intermit in April of last year and spending 5 months in hospital before returning to my degree in September) than I did in the 3 years I was at my undergrad university. The departmental staff are brilliant (at least in the Sport Sciences department), and the major advantage of being at a smaller university is that they can spend much more time getting to know the students, and (depending on what you're studying) lectures and seminars can be really interactive and enjoyable. Without a doubt choosing to accept my offer at Chichester is one of the best decisions I have ever made!

Good luck. :smile:
Hello, I am looking to apply to the Jazz Performance course this year to start in 2016 and I was wondering about a few things.
1) How good is the University as a whole and would you recommend it?
2) Is the night life good?
3) Are many "clubs" or "groups" offered there?
Original post by EdwardBarfield9
Hello, I am looking to apply to the Jazz Performance course this year to start in 2016 and I was wondering about a few things.

Hi Edward! I am a third year studying dance at Chichester and I looooooove it here.

The University is on the smaller side but this really does have its benefits... Not only have I gained close friendships with people on my course but the community feel of the Uni means that I know people from other courses, and in other year groups here! Everywhere is really close by to the campus in Chi with the high street and supermarkets really near, and the same at the Bognor campus too. There are great support systems in place and the student welfare is brilliant due to the smaller number of students. Chichester is beautiful!! It is safe, and there are easy ways of travelling to nearby cities like Portsmouth or Brighton if needed.

The Student Union at both Chichester and Bognor provides award winning fab events for students such as Silent Discos, Foam Party's, UV Paint nights, and other themed evenings (with lots of fancy dress of course :tongue:). The community at Chi means you'll never feel lonely on a night out, you always see familiar faces and have so much fun wherever you are! There is a bus service to a club in Bognor Regis called Shieks every Thursday, and like I said before it is easy to get to bigger cities if you really need to!

The societies and sports teams offered here go above and beyond!! I believe there is even a Quidditch team and a Harry Potter society... Joining a society or team means you'll be able to get to know a bunch of people that have similar interests to you, and might give you a break from your housemates/coursemates :tongue: because of the community here at Chi the societies and teams are something really important to the students here.

Hope this helps!!!
Reply 29
Original post by EdwardBarfield9

Hi Edward :smile:
I joined the University this September studying Event Management and would definitely recommend it! Although it is a smaller University that's certainly not a bad thing as there is such a strong community feel - everyone (both the lecturers and the students) are so friendly and supportive! :h:
Night life wise there's a variety of nights out provided at the Student Unions and then 'Sheiks', in Bognor Regis, has their Student Night on a Thursday too!
There are SO many clubs/groups offered... I went to the Freshers Fayre and was overwhelmed with the number of things you could sign up to as well as the variety. Not only are there lots of sporting groups but also film societies, musical theatre groups, opportunities to become a Blogger etc.
Hope all goes well with applying to your Jazz Performance course! :h:
Reply 30
Hello,
I have applied for chichester uni and I really like the look of it all. I was wondering what the nightlife is like realistically? Is it easy and cheap to go to Portsmouth if there aren't any nightclubs?
Hi!
You're right, Chichester doesn't have clubs but there are numerous bars for you to enjoy a drink in whether that's wetherspoons, lloyds, slug and lettuce, and there's also trents and the vestry which are two venues that people go out to and have a dance. These are all located in the high street which is so nearby and easy to get to, and they're always busy. All of my friends go to big city Universities around the UK, but here at Chichester my friends and I have just as much fun, promise!! Plus we see so many familiar faces on a night out! I am in my third year now and I only went to Portsmouth a couple of weeks ago for the first time... I haven't felt the need to. With a railcard I think I paid £5 for a single train ticket. Brighton is also not too far if you're really in need of a big 'un... but the Students Union Zee Bar here is great, and they host fab themed evenings so that's generally where most the students spend their time. As mentioned above, there's a £2 bus service every Thursday that takes you to Sheiks and that's a proper club! They've revamped in recently and I can assure you that is a great night out! :smile:
Reply 32
Thanks for answering,it sounds great
Original post by jiffied
Thanks for answering,it sounds great

No problem, any questions at all just ask :smile:
Hi I just wondered what sort of societies there are?
Original post by Sorry16
Hi I just wondered what sort of societies there are?

https://www.ucsu.org/societies/

The anime society is pretty decent ;-) ;-)
Original post by TheBigJosh
I see. I would have taken a more academic and mature approach and gone to the institution with the best academic reputation for my course, regardless of distance. Suppose that's where my intelligence comes in. I'm sure Chichester is nice! :smile:

It’s nothing to do with intelligence. Maybe some people want to be near home because of a sick relative. There is more to life than just choosing a standard academic route. Maybe when you have some more years behind you, you’ll realise that.
hi I hope you don't mind me asking, does the catered accommodation come with any form of kitchen please?
Original post by Leahtaylor125
hi I hope you don't mind me asking, does the catered accommodation come with any form of kitchen please?

Hey @Leahtaylor125, there are kitchens in all catered halls with fridges, kettles, toasters, ovens and hobs :smile:
Original post by University of Chichester
Hey @Leahtaylor125, there are kitchens in all catered halls with fridges, kettles, toasters, ovens and hobs :smile:

thats great news thanks as I would be looking at staying in bognor Regis but I'd still want to cook

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending