The Student Room Group

Distance language learning

There are many websites (eg. icslearn.co.uk) and such offering language GCSE language qualifications within a year or so!

For those of you who have tried this, what are the pros and cons?

Basically, I am asking because I am going to start a beginners course in Italian at college this year (hopefully), but I get no qualification for it. Also, I already have many Italian language books/CDs at home (yes, I will get round to reading them one day!), which will help with my progress too.

So would it be worthwhile to do the distance GCSE course in Italian?

Thanks in advance. :smile:
I did Spanish GCSE by distance learning this year and I loved it :smile: I started it completely from scratch, but the course assumed no prior knowledge and taught me everything I needed to know. The textbook and accompanying tapes had lots of practice exercises and I also had assignments to send to my tutor for feedback. As well as that, I bought myself a CGP revision guide for a more in-depth explanation of the grammar and more exam practice. The only con was the expense; it cost about £250. Luckily I didn't have to pay exam fees because I sat them at my school where I've just done A2s. Obviously you also need lots of self-motivation and the oral aspect is quite difficult with no practice. If your college course and the materials you already have are roughly GCSE level, why not just enter for the exams as a private candidate? That way you won't have to waste a lot of money on the course when you'll already be covering most of it and you still get a recognised qualification. Reply to this or PM me if you want any more information.
Reply 2
kellywood_5
I did Spanish GCSE by distance learning this year and I loved it :smile: I started it completely from scratch, but the course assumed no prior knowledge and taught me everything I needed to know. The textbook and accompanying tapes had lots of practice exercises and I also had assignments to send to my tutor for feedback. As well as that, I bought myself a CGP revision guide for a more in-depth explanation of the grammar and more exam practice. The only con was the expense; it cost about £250. Luckily I didn't have to pay exam fees because I sat them at my school where I've just done A2s. Obviously you also need lots of self-motivation and the oral aspect is quite difficult with no practice. If your college course and the materials you already have are roughly GCSE level, why not just enter for the exams as a private candidate? That way you won't have to waste a lot of money on the course when you'll already be covering most of it and you still get a recognised qualification. Reply to this or PM me if you want any more information.

Interesting, thank you. :smile:

The idea of being entered as a private candidate sounds good, although I am going to have to look into the level the language is taught at college.

By the way, can I have a link (if possible) to the site where you chose your course, please?
OnlyMe!
Interesting, thank you. :smile:

The idea of being entered as a private candidate sounds good, although I am going to have to look into the level the language is taught at college.

By the way, can I have a link (if possible) to the site where you chose your course, please?

You could always just buy a GCSE revision guide or something if you're not sure your course will be enough. I used CGP Complete Revision and Practice for Spanish and, rubbish jokes aside, it was quite good.

I used OLCI: http://www.olci.info/gcse/index.asp Don't be fooled by the 'enrol within 14 days and save £30' though; it's been there ever since I bought my Spanish course! :rolleyes:
Reply 4
kellywood_5
You could always just buy a GCSE revision guide or something if you're not sure your course will be enough. I used CGP Complete Revision and Practice for Spanish and, rubbish jokes aside, it was quite good.

I used OLCI: http://www.olci.info/gcse/index.asp Don't be fooled by the 'enrol within 14 days and save £30' though; it's been there ever since I bought my Spanish course! :rolleyes:

Ha ha, ok, thanks very much! :smile:

I'll take a browse through the site then, cheers!

By the way, how do you feel your course went?
OnlyMe!
Ha ha, ok, thanks very much! :smile:

I'll take a browse through the site then, cheers!

By the way, how do you feel your course went?

Well, I really enjoyed doing it, I think I understood pretty much everything and I got As in all the assignments my tutor marked, so fingers crossed! The reading exam was incredibly easy, listening was also quite easy, I should apparently get an A for speaking and I have no idea about writing since I didn't really do any past papers and I did coursework when I did GCSE French :p: But I'm really hoping for an A*/A. We shall see in 2 weeks!
Reply 6
Good luck with it! I'm sure you'll do well anyway, by the sounds of things!

And thanks for all your help - much appreciated.
Reply 7
One of my friends took the same course over the internet and said it was good too. :smile: Books and CDs also help, but especially this time of year you tend to find that they're more focused towards the kind of vocabulary and topics which would help if you went on holiday there; rather than covering a wide range of topics.

Also if you're part of anything like Gifted and Talented they often offer courses over the internet too, and I think you don't necessarily have to have any experience. I'm doing one in French in September online to help with my GCSE next year.

Anyway, in bocca al lupo! (Good luck!) I hope you find a good course. :smile:
Reply 8
WTF ... ?
You can distance learn 'Igbo', Tibetan, Twi, Yup'ik, Western Armenian, Cherokee

^o)
I'm doing GCSE Italian by distance learning and I didn't have to pay for it because I used a scheme called conect2 where colleges use the NEC (National Extension College) to provide extra courses. I haven't done much of it so far because I got it 2 days before I went on a 5 week holiday but it seemed really good and I've used them before for an AS and the courses are well organised etc.

Latest

Trending

Trending